Help! What to do?!

What to do?

• See stylist for straightening on Friday; learn how to wrap properly.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Wear a natural style to black grad; see stylist for straightening on Sunday.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Brave the heat: Self-straighten for Saturday, have the stylist do it on Sunday.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

prettypithy

I graduate from law school next Sunday. I'm natural and I want to wear my hair straight. I made an appointment for Sunday morning so it will be fresh. THEN, I realize that while commencement is Sunday afternoon, Black Grad is Saturday morning--too early for me to get my hair done before. I could get my hair done Friday but my hair reverts lightening fast and I don't really know how to wrap properly. So should I get my hair done Friday and just learn to wrap? Not get it done til Sunday and wear my hair natural on Saturday? Or self-straighten for Black Grad and then let my stylist do it for commencement (sounds like a lot heat)? TIA!

Congratulations on graduating from law school!:grin:

As for your question.....Why not just self-straighten and call it a day? Thats what I always do, and its always executed in a much healthier way then back when I let the "stylists" touch me.

At night you can pin-curl, flexi-rod or wear a bun for a nice effect that will maintain the straightness.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

Congrats on your upcoming law school graduation!!! I remember mine like it was yesterday.

Do you know how to straighten it yourself? If so then straighten Friday night and see if a friend it family member can wrap it for you. If not then pin curl it.

Good question--my skills are lacking. :blush: I have a great Chi flat iron my husband got me for Valentine's Day (my request--the ultimate in romance :lol:). But my ish looks more like a blow out than a flat iron--even though my stylist uses the same one. Maybe my sections are too big. I get bored, it takes like four hours. I tried that comb chase method but my iron started melting my comb. :nono:

I would go for a roller set. That should be good enough with a light home passing of the flat iron on the roots on Sat and Sun. That way being bone straight won't be as big an issue.

Wraps are very forgiving. Even the most half-hazard ones if tied down properly comes out ok. Just make sure you unwrap it on sunday with ample time before you have to leave to fix any strays/bents/awkwardly curled hairs. So going to a professional on Friday seems OK. The only reason I would say go natural saturday and straight Sunday is because two days of wraps can really flatten the hair making it look less fab than when you first get it done,.. especially if they use a lot of product or heavy greases.

Since it's like youre still perfecting your flat ironing skills then you might want to go with something safer like roller setting if you know how to do that. If not see if there are any Dominican salons in your area that you can go to Friday

It can be time consuming. I usually put on some music and have me a little drinky-drink while blow-drying and flat ironing. I keep a radio in the bathroom.. .

But if your skills aren't on par, let the professional do the work, then pin curl on Friday, and wrap on Saturday night OR pin curl on Friday and Saturday and then several hours before your commencement on Sunday, take out pin curls and wrap until it's time to get ready. Find someone to help you wrap it.

prettypithy,
Co-signing with the roller wrap and pin curl sugestions. Also, do you use any serums or other anti-reversion products like Aveda's Brilliant anti-humectant or Sabino lok and blok to help retard reversion?

@prettypithy,
Co-signing with the roller wrap and pin curl sugestions. Also, do you use any serums or other anti-reversion products like Aveda's Brilliant anti-humectant or Sabino lok and blok to help retard reversion?

No, I have never tried such products. Actually, I didn't know they existed. :blush:Where can I find them?

Why can't you get it straightened at the salon and just touch up the reverted areas with your own flat iron later?

Back