Help! What to do about constant broken bits?

kristina

Hi ladies,
I'm having a hair issue that I'm not sure how to handle: any manipulation whatsoever and i get little bits of broken hairs. They are all over my bathroom and it's getting me nervous. Should I: a) trim off more hair b) give my hair more moisture; c) follow the damaged hair treatment instructions; or d) some combination of the above.
Any recs would be greatly appreciated....

kristina said:
Hi ladies,
I'm having a hair issue that I'm not sure how to handle: any manipulation whatsoever and i get little bits of broken hairs. They are all over my bathroom and it's getting me nervous. Should I: a) trim off more hair b) give my hair more moisture; c) follow the damaged hair treatment instructions; or d) some combination of the above.
Any recs would be greatly appreciated....

The only time that has happened to me was when I used heat on my relaxed hair, like blowdryers and hot curling irons. When I stopped, the breakage stopped right away. Are you using any heat?

Also, using too much protein will do the same or using protein without following up with a good moisturizing conditioner. Moisture is what keeps hair from breaking off like that.

Last edited:
Isis said:
The only time that has happened to me was when I used heat on my relaxed hair, like blowdryers and hot curling irons. When I stopped, the breakage stopped right away. Are you using any heat?
Yes. I flat ironed on Saturday but I don't plan on doing that regularly. Up until this point I've been a braid addict and utterly clueless about moisture. I plan on washing my hair every 1-1.5 weeks but I feel the dryer is necessary due to the cold cold weather at the moment. So I guess I want to know what treatments I should do to get rid of the breakage. Is this a protein issue or moisture? or both?

kristina said:
Yes. I flat ironed on Saturday but I don't plan on doing that regularly. Up until this point I've been a braid addict and utterly clueless about moisture. I plan on washing my hair every 1-1.5 weeks but I feel the dryer is necessary due to the cold cold weather at the moment. So I guess I want to know what treatments I should do to get rid of the breakage. Is this a protein issue or moisture? or both?
Are you using protein now? If so, what kind of protein treatments or condtioners do you have? And how often do you wash your hair now?

Since you have pieces of hair in the bathroom whenever you manipulate your hair, it sounds like you need more moisture in your hair, especially since you say you are clueless about it. Washing more often than every 1-1.5 weeks can be very helpful and always sealing that moisture in is important too. Many natural ladies do conditioner washes during the week to keep their hair very moisturized.

I was just going to make a post about the same thing!! My hair is 4a and natural too. I'm trying to keep my hair as moisturized as possible but sometimes i OD and my hair just feels greasy. I may be making some kind of a break through though. I just started using Jamaican Rasta Locks Twist Mango and Lime Cactus Oil Serum. My hair feels so light and fluffy even when I wear it out all day. But as for my little bits of breakage, I don't have the answer. I've continually trimmed my ends, but they still break. I try to study each strand to see if it's split at either end, some of them are, some of them are not. If anything, I know I need to drink more water. I don't know if you have this issue, but a lot of my single hairs turn into knots at the end. I have no idea how to prevent them :whyme:

In response to the heat usage, I have stopped blow drying my hair since last month, but the breakage is still happening...

Last edited:
MissNatural said:
I was just going to make a post about the same thing!! My hair is 4a and natural too. I'm trying to keep my hair as moisturized as possible but sometimes i OD and my hair just feels greasy. I may be making some kind of a break through though. I just started using Jamaican Rasta Locks Twist Mango and Lime Cactus Oil Serum. My hair feels so light and fluffy even when I wear it out all day. But as for my little bits of breakage, I don't have the answer. I've continually trimmed my ends, but they still break. I try to study each strand to see if it's split at either end, some of them are, some of them are not. If anything, I know I need to drink more water. I don't know if you have this issue, but a lot of my single hairs turn into knots at the end. I have no idea how to prevent them :whyme:

I think I'm going to try the following this weekend- Emergencee, followed by a Cathy House home version followed by NTM under a hooded dryer for 20 minutes.... I can feel you on the ODing thing.
As far as condition washes I'm currently of the logic that if I lose hair by manipulating- i'm best keeping it to a minimum...especially since i'm not too keen on wearing a fro at the moment

I still don't see anyone using more moisture, which means water and something with the main ingredient of water, not oils. Oils and pomades seal that water in. I've learned here on LHCF that moisture is more important than any other product when it comes to our healthier hair.

You mentioned Miss Natural that you need to drink more water. That is very important also to keep our hair and body moisturized from the inside out.:)

kristina said:
I think I'm going to try the following this weekend- Emergencee, followed by a Cathy House home version followed by NTM under a hooded dryer for 20 minutes.... I can feel you on the ODing thing.
As far as condition washes I'm currently of the logic that if I lose hair by manipulating- i'm best keeping it to a minimum...especially since i'm not too keen on wearing a fro at the moment

Uhm, just a humble suggestion: it is not necessary to use both Cathy Howse and Emergencee. Pick one or the other. IMO that is too much protein. I am assuming by Cathy Howse home version, you mean her homemade protein cond.? Emergencee is pretty good stuff on its own and doesn't need more protein behind it. Just do Emergencee and follow up with NTM. Don't forget to shampoo out the Emergencee before you put your moist. cond. as per the instructions. Good luck! Depending on the health of your hair, it can take longer for you to stop seeing thsoe little pieces. Be patient and use moisture as Isis said.

Isis said:
I still don't see anyone using more moisture, which means water and something with the main ingredient of water, not oils. Oils and pomades seal that water in. I've learned here on LHCF that moisture is more important than any other product when it comes to our healthier hair.

You mentioned Miss Natural that you need to drink more water. That is very important also to keep our hair and body moisturized from the inside out.:)
So are only the conditioners moisturizing? BTW- I think I'll just do emergencee and NTM

kristina said:
especially since i'm not too keen on wearing a fro at the moment

Just curious, what are your daily hair styles (because I'm not into wearing a fro either)? I have also experienced tons of breakage since I started wearing my hair natural. I am going to stop using protein treatments & conditioners for a few months, avoid heat other than hard bonnet dryers and focus on moisture in hopes of halting my breakage.

The moisturizers I am using are QP Mango Butter, CD HHB, S-Curl, Protectiv Healthy Ends & Surge 14 (which may have a lil' protein)

Last edited:
I don't know if someone already posted this, but you should oil the last 3 inches of your hair to combat breakage. I have type 4 hair as well and although I'm texturized, I make sure that I oil my ends with olive oil, jojoba oils or castor oil or you can put shea or mango butters on the ends and your hair should do well.

I have the SAME problem, only my breakage is anywhere fro m1 inch to 1/8 of an inch.
Should I get a decent (BC style) haircut so I can start fresh? I have had 2-3 inches of new growth, I know since I relax, since joining this board, but I've barely retained any!

Help!
A

I do try to apply shea butter to my ends every other day. I also use Dudley Moisture Retainer and a bit of carrot creme every day as well. Oh and now I spritz with infusium. Still the broken hairs but my hair is definately softer. As for as my daily "styles", I'm pretty much working the ponytail and bun look for the moment but plan to try a braid out or a twist out soon.

kristina said:
Still the broken hairs

I would try to stop the breakage ASAP because that is what I experienced over the past few months, broken bits here and there and now it's added up to half my length being gone. It happened gradually and then all of a sudden, baldy.

kristina said:
I do try to apply shea butter to my ends every other day. I also use Dudley Moisture Retainer and a bit of carrot creme every day as well. Oh and now I spritz with infusium. Still the broken hairs but my hair is definately softer. As for as my daily "styles", I'm pretty much working the ponytail and bun look for the moment but plan to try a braid out or a twist out soon.
I tried Infusium 23 when I first came to the hair boards and while my hair looked pretty, it broke my hair off. I had more hair in my comb than I should have. I gave it a few more tries to make use it was the Infusium and it was. I stopped and then learned that some (not all) ladies experience breakage with Infusium because it has a little more protein in it.

Isis said:
I tried Infusium 23 when I first came to the hair boards and while my hair looked pretty, it broke my hair off. I had more hair in my comb than I should have. I gave it a few more tries to make use it was the Infusium and it was. I stopped and then learned that some (not all) ladies experience breakage with Infusium because it has a little more protein in it.
thanks for the FYI....and i thought i was doing something good.

LegallySpeaking said:
I would try to stop the breakage ASAP because that is what I experienced over the past few months, broken bits here and there and now it's added up to half my length being gone. It happened gradually and then all of a sudden, baldy.

I dont know why but you said just cracked me up!! LOL!! LOL@baldy! I hope you were able to get it under control. What did you do? I experience breakage, split ends occasionally also! If I keep sniping and dusting the splits all the time, I am never going to see any growth! :(

LegallySpeaking said:

trust me, i'm sufficiently panicked. my desire to get rid of the problem is constant- what is varying are strategies to deal- i think the answer for me is some protein (i haven't done a protein treatment in a long time) and moisture. since i think we're hair twins, i'll let you know how it goes...

kristina said:
trust me, i'm sufficiently panicked. my desire to get rid of the problem is constant- what is varying are strategies to deal- i think the answer for me is some protein (i haven't done a protein treatment in a long time) and moisture. since i think we're hair twins, i'll let you know how it goes...

BTW, didn't mean to make you panic any more than you already are, I know how panic inducing this breakage thing can be ;). I think your hair is lovely and since it seems like you're as addicted to this hair board and healthy hair as the rest of us, I'm sure you'll stop the breakage in its tracks.

kristina said:

Another thing too is that you shouldn't have to use so many products daily on your hair. Overloading your hair with products can cause breakage as well. You might want to just stick with one treatment/product to use on your hair daily as opposed to what you're currently doing.

Kristina,

I would suggest that you try a protein treatment, as already suggested. Have you tried Aphogee, if you are familar with Cathy Howse you will know that she thinks its a def product to stop breakage.
I posted the same thread as you about 10 days ago, did the treatment and have had blunt cut no layers ( 2 inches) and I HAVE NO BREAKAGE!!!!!!!.
If your ends are damaged like they sound just get them off doesnt have to be short. All you will end up do id keep ripping through your hair causing more damage.
I know that I will have those 2 inches back by March and my new hair wont be damaged.

Good Luck
(Check out my thread on my cut dilemma)

i've been having this problem recently myself. i have been wearing my hair down for the past couple of weeks. every time i reach for my head... hairs in the sink... i really believe it's due to lack of enough moisture. i plan to address this by continuing the combo conditioner and hot oil treatments. that worked well when i tried it. i'll also stop wearing my hair down so much.

i can't see how cutting more will solve the problem. if you don't get to the cause of it, you'll still continue to have broken hairs. they'll just be falling off of shorter hair... :ohwell:

p.s. what are the damaged hair treatment instructions? i've been MIA for a while...

Whoa, I was just comming on to post about this today!

I've been wearing my hair out of my weave for about a week now and every time I touch the ends, there are some in my hand. And it's not shedding either. My ends are just breaking. I'm pretty sure it's something that I'm doing since the past year I've had to trim about 6 or 7 times.

THis week I've done 3 CO washes and each time I've braided my hair up in four big braids and sprayed with s-curl. then I used profective healthy ends followed by hot six oil to seal in the moisture. Last night I even slept with a baggie under my scarf. And still in the morning... broken ends. My hair is just so dry. HELP!!!

Chakira said:
Whoa, I was just comming on to post about this today!

I've been wearing my hair out of my weave for about a week now and every time I touch the ends, there are some in my hand. And it's not shedding either. My ends are just breaking. I'm pretty sure it's something that I'm doing since the past year I've had to trim about 6 or 7 times.

THis week I've done 3 CO washes and each time I've braided my hair up in four big braids and sprayed with s-curl. then I used profective healthy ends followed by hot six oil to seal in the moisture. Last night I even slept with a baggie under my scarf. And still in the morning... broken ends. My hair is just so dry. HELP!!!

I know this winter air can take a toll on ones hair. Make sure you cover it when going outside.
I had to kick my regimen up a notch! I did my Emergencee treatment and Biolage Moisurizing treatment last night. This morning, I didnt have ANY broken hair! :)

adrienne0914 said:
i've been having this problem recently myself. i have been wearing my hair down for the past couple of weeks. every time i reach for my head... hairs in the sink... i really believe it's due to lack of enough moisture. i plan to address this by continuing the combo conditioner and hot oil treatments. that worked well when i tried it. i'll also stop wearing my hair down so much.

i can't see how cutting more will solve the problem. if you don't get to the cause of it, you'll still continue to have broken hairs. they'll just be falling off of shorter hair... :ohwell:

p.s. what are the damaged hair treatment instructions? i've been MIA for a while...

- The thread is called Damaged Treatment Instructions. If you do a search, it should pop right up (I'd attach the thread if I knew how). BTW- your hair is gorgeous!!!

This started happening to me when I used too much protein conditioner. I decided to go back to doing my hair the way my mom did when she was taking care of it. I use a moisturizing conditioner most of the time, and protein sparingly. Also, I roller set after washing--air drying leaves me with frizzy ends that snap off when I comb my hair. Since I went back to my old tried and true routine--no more little bits of hair on the floor.

Back