HELP: What hair type do I have??

jcanalena79

So, I've been natural for abt 6 years now, but would like to wear my hair with its natural curl pattern (vs. roller set and flat iron) more often. I've been learning a lot on the boards and blogs about products, etc.

One thing I haven't figured out is my hair "type". I read the descriptions and I think I know ... but then I see people classify their hair and it often leaves me scratching my head. So, help me please ... what hair type do I have? One thing I *do* know is that the middle is 4a, lol.

Almost soaking wet (freshly washed w/product and very saturated, but not dripping)
IMG_0458-copy.jpg

End of day 1 with heavy product (mizani conditioner, miss jessie's curly meringue, miss jessie's curly buttercreme, carol's daughter healthy hair butter, EVOO)
IMG_0231.jpg

Lighter on product (miss jessie's curly puding, miss jessie's curly buttercreme)
IMG_0495.jpg

No product beach hair
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help ladies!!

What does "highly textured" mean?

It means the texture is not silky, like a typical type 1 or 2. Her hair still has some "kink" to it. Since hair type only describes curl pattern, not texture, she can still be a type 2 or 3 but have kinkier hair than many non-black type 2 and 3s.

Your hair is absolutely beautiful! I would say 3b, but I don't think that hair typing is all that important. The products and advice that you see on this site for 3a and 3c will probably work just fine for you too.

3a definitely. As for wearing your natural curl pattern...you don't have to do much. You can pretty much do a wash and go (wash, moisturize and don't comb it dry) and your curls should stay put.

It's so funny how she wanted to probably know one type yet so many different responses :lachen:

Definetely in the 3 range! It's very, very pretty regardless :yep:

LOL at these type of threads. It's really hard to tell without more pictures of you parting your hair, etc. You're going to get answers all over the place. OP your hair texture is gorgeous and I hope you find your answer.

Back