HELP: Transitioning and straightening

AudraChanell

Has anyone ever suffered heat damage from a hair steamer like the MaxiGlide or Babyliss? I have not used flat irons and hot curlers in years trying to limit heat, but when I want to straighten I use my Babyliss. Has anyone noticed a loss of curl pattern from using one? If so ... sigh ... I guess Ill have to ditch it.

yes a section of my hair loosened from using the maxiglide. it went back to normal though after a couple of washes.

AudraChanell

I straightened with a Maxiglide throughout my transition (3 1/2 years) and didn't damage my hair. The key is to use low heat, IMO. I used it on 3 or 4 (out of 10), I think. I believe that's around 300 degrees.
Good luck with your transition!

AudraChanell

I straightened with a Maxiglide throughout my transition (3 1/2 years) and didn't damage my hair. The key is to use low heat, IMO. I used it on 3 or 4 (out of 10), I think. I believe that's around 300 degrees.
Good luck with your transition!

that might be the difference. I set the temp around 7-8 because any lower than that wouldn't straighten my hair at all.

I have a few strands that are looser from straightening during my transition but my hair analysis said my hair is basically healthy...I've just been trimming them as I go along and I've noticed that they're getting much curlier. I attribute my overall hair health to using a good heat protectant.

ETA: I edited my answer because I didn't feel like I properly answered your question.

Last edited:
Back