Help/Tips on coloring my hair at home

twilight80

I want to try dying my hair light brown and brought a home hair coloring kit. I don't want to damage my hair or turn it a funny color, so are there any tips anyone can give me that would help me succeed in doing this at home?

How light do you want to go? Judging from your siggy pic, your hair is black. When you have dark hair and you're trying to lighten it, there's always a chance that it will turn orange. Depending how light you want it, you probably won't be able to achieve it with an at home kit.

However, there are at home color kits that are specially made for lightening dark hair but I wouldn't recomend it, I had a bad experience with it (feria). Your best bet is to go to a salon or staying within 2 shades of your natural color.

Also, when you dye your hair, especially lighten it, there's a risk of damage. HTH

please go to a professional. i know its not what you want to hear but there are not many good at home coloring experiences unless they were doing temporary color or going darker.

You should add some details twilight like what type of home kit you are using.
I used Garnier Frutisse almost a week ago and my hair is breaking badly.
Good luck on your venture!

Ok, ya'll already scared me enough not to use it! I don't want to risk messing up the growth that I have achieved this year. Thank you!

I had brought the Silk Elements brand in the color bronze.

Ok, ya'll already scared me enough not to use it! I don't want to risk messing up the growth that I have achieved this year. Thank you!

I had brought the Silk Elements brand in the color bronze.

I wish I had listened to my inner voice.:lachen: Highlights are what brought me here years ago.
Now there are some ladies on here who have colored their hair successfully, that's why you should state what you're using. If anything, research it as much as you can and be ready if things go bad.
I bought some Aphogee today in hopes it will stop the breakage.

Here's a great article by Sistaslick, you should check the rest out too.:yep:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/854723/five_things_to_consider_before_coloring.html?cat=69

I've successfully used Clairol Textures & Tones. There are members here who also swear by Naturtint; both brands are ammonia-free and are chock-full of moisturizers.

I actually touched up my color with a lighter shade a couple days ago. I use Bronze and Light Golden Brown. I ALWAYS follow with a Sebastian Cellophane in Clear and a really rich conditioner for DC, sometimes the Pantene Relaxed & Natural condish that's included in the box.

I totally believe that one has to have her hair in top-notch condition, breakage-free and strong, in order to get a successful color job.

I will do my own color from now on. I've had more issues with professionally done color jobs.

Plus, clarifying beforehand helps immensely.

Hello! I dyed my hair brown at home. I used dark and lovely. I got my mother to help......well actually to do all of it. Start at the ends because the heat of your head will make the colour process faster. Follow the kit directions and use your own fav conditioner the ones in the packs are generally useless! My hair turned out lovely! Its been more or less a year now and I want to go black again. I have a kit at home waiting (Creme of Nature) but I wanted to go to the salon....Salons r just so expensive! I wanted to dye my hair a more natural shade of black at home then go to the salon for a cut and a jet black rinse. I dont want to permanently dye my hair black black due to growing out issues I want my hair to match-ish. I guess what Im saying is there's nothing wrong with at home colour I am doing mine tonight! (I hope if mum says so :-) but my hair takes most things quite well! Make sure u take good care of it!

Back