HELP!!! Tennessee HUMIDITY and HAIR

theoneandonly

When i go get my hair done in the day time, by that night it is a frizzy poofy mess. I am 4a/b hair type. What hair products are yall using? I thought about frizz ease. I've used Aveda anti-humectant in the past, thought about going back to that. I refuse to get my hair done every week and end up with a frizzy mess every week in the Summer :mad: :(

The humidity is no joke here!

I have been here long enough that I my hair is use to it. But coming from a dry state (Texas) to here had me going going nutty!

I have success with pomades and moisturizers. I liked Aveda Humectant (blue jar) better than anti-humectant for our weather. Never had a problem using my End All pomade. For that fresh out the salon look to last, I know it's hard! Moisturizing and wrapping are the only things that helped me in that area.

Letitia said:
The humidity is no joke here!

I have been here long enough that I my hair is use to it. But coming from a dry state (Texas) to here had me going going nutty!

I have success with pomades and moisturizers. I liked Aveda Humectant (blue jar) better than anti-humectant for our weather. Never had a problem using my End All pomade. For that fresh out the salon look to last, I know it's hard! Moisturizing and wrapping are the only things that helped me in that area.

Hmm, did you just say that Texas was a dry state?:confused: Guuuurl, I duuno what part of Texas you're referring to, but Houston is HUMID! Really humid. Really, really humid. (I'm just sayin...LOL). :look:

natieya said:
Hmm, did you just say that Texas was a dry state?:confused: Guuuurl, I duuno what part of Texas you're referring to, but Houston is HUMID! Really humid. Really, really humid. (I'm just sayin...LOL). :look:

Well I guess your area might be more humid since you are closer to a big body of water. (like Memphis) I just remember learning the dry states verses the none dry as far as humidity goes last semester. Texas was on the dry list....I can understand this. Where I am from in Texas, we had DRY heat! But I am from Central Texas. Close to Austin.

Last edited:
natieya said:

Just a little information.

In the relative hazard ranking model developed by American Risk Management Resources (ARMR) and now being used by GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI), "dry states" (Oklahoma, Kansas) intermingle with predictably high-risk mold zones (Florida, South Carolina), but Texas beat them all.

The top ten states, in order, are Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, California, South Dakota, Tennessee and Kansas. The five states with the least risk of mold are Wisconsin, West Virginia, Alabama, Massachusetts and Minnesota.

I'm just saying...:look:

Letitia said:
Just a little information.

In the relative hazard ranking model developed by American Risk Management Resources (ARMR) and now being used by GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI), "dry states" (Oklahoma, Kansas) intermingle with predictably high-risk mold zones (Florida, South Carolina), but Texas beat them all.

The top ten states, in order, are Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, California, South Dakota, Tennessee and Kansas. The five states with the least risk of mold are Wisconsin, West Virginia, Alabama, Massachusetts and Minnesota.

I'm just saying...:look:

Neat, I lived in Austin for 4 years, but I was born and raised in Houston and that's where I'm working now. Houston is HUMID!! It was so humid the other day that the temp was 96 but the heat index was 108. (humidity is no joke). :(

I'm kinda confused about the mold stuff. If we're a dry state, wouldn't we have less of a chance for it? Or does it have to do with rain? We get lots of that stuff. :)

I think you have to be sure and seal your hair once you moisturize it to keep it from swelling and going the frizzy route. I use a simple mix of coconut oil, pure jojoba and olive oil , altogether just a nickel sized amount on my 2 dd's hair. This seems to do the trick for them.

Thanks ladies :) I see some women and they can stay outside all day long and when they go in it looks like they just got out of the styling chair. But me on the other hand :mad: I guess it depends on hair type also along with good products. My friend has very course hair and when she gets ready to go to the beauty shop, it looks like she doesn't even need to go, he rhair really holds styles and holds up in the humidity.

Im from TN and I thought I knew what humidity was, but boy was I wrong....try coming to central FL for a while and u will think TN is Arizona lol.

Anyway, the best thing Ive found is Mizani Thermasmooth line. It really is the best thing Ive been able to use to keep my frizz at bay when I do my own hair. When I used to go to the salon, she used keracare silk n seal and my hair didnt revert, but I credit that to the hot arse marcel iron she used. It wouldnt revert for a week until I washed it again as long as I wrapped it at night, and I would just add a dime size of biosilk serum to it daily.

Perhaps your hair is very porous and just soaks up the moisture in the air. You can try Roux Porosity Control for correcting hair porosity. Do a search on it here.

Leslie_C said:
Im from TN and I thought I knew what humidity was, but boy was I wrong....try coming to central FL for a while and u will think TN is Arizona lol.

Anyway, the best thing Ive found is Mizani Thermasmooth line. It really is the best thing Ive been able to use to keep my frizz at bay when I do my own hair. When I used to go to the salon, she used keracare silk n seal and my hair didnt revert, but I credit that to the hot arse marcel iron she used. It wouldnt revert for a week until I washed it again as long as I wrapped it at night, and I would just add a dime size of biosilk serum to it daily.

You are so right about Florida. I finally stopped getting my hair done at the salon before coming down on vacation. I would end up looking like a HOT mess!

natieya said:
Neat, I lived in Austin for 4 years, but I was born and raised in Houston and that's where I'm working now. Houston is HUMID!! It was so humid the other day that the temp was 96 but the heat index was 108. (humidity is no joke). :(

I'm kinda confused about the mold stuff. If we're a dry state, wouldn't we have less of a chance for it? Or does it have to do with rain? We get lots of that stuff. :)

That heat index is no joke! I dont care what the temp is, the heat index is what I feel!:mad:

I am no mold expert. Heck, I might just do my next paper on that subject. Interesting to say the least.:look:

*I love Austin!*

Thanks Ladies. I gotta check out Roux. I've never had this problem B4. I know it has something to do with me getting my hair roller set. When I used to get my hair curled with the marcel irons, I never had this problem. But the rolling has made my hair more healthy. hmm man I guess I can't win them all ;) Gonna try some of these things and update.

Letitia said:
You are so right about Florida. I finally stopped getting my hair done at the salon before coming down on vacation. I would end up looking like a HOT mess!

Guess what? John Frieda has an extra strength serum that helped my hair to lay flat while I was in Orlando two weeks ago. When my hair was wet, I placed a quarter size amt of Garnier Sleek and Shine Leave In and a quarter size Fantasic IC Heat Protectant serum in my hair. I let my hair airdry, then I blew it out a wee bit with the JOHN FRIEDA. Following that, I flatironed. My hair laid soooo nicely and it was not lifeless nor dull. I only use heat once every two months, so my hair did not suffer badly at all from all of the heat.

Back