Help! Synthetic hair braids - Is it bad for my hair?

itsdiddy

Soooo I was bamboozeled, tricked, fooled and every other word used to describe me buying some fake human hair the other day. I went to the beauty supply store to buy some human hair so I can get some braids (singles) and the lady at the counter told me that the Milky Way pack (the one I usually get) is now $35 per pack - I couldn't afford it so she told me that this other brand was $17 a pack and was human hair too. So I bought it. It looked nice and all but now thats its in my hair I can DEFINITELY tell this THIS AINT HUMAN and I really feel like it may be damaging my hair. I don't have anything concrete but I always felt that synthetic hair was really not good for your hair.

Ladies - any advice? I've only had these in for 3 weeks but I've worked WAY too hard on my hair to lose any of it on a stupid hair style!! Anyone use synthetic hair recently? Any comments or advice? Plz Help :(

DSCF1705-1.jpg

There are people who have had great success with synthetic hair. I don't remember for sure but I believe Robin of Crown & Glory uses synthetic hair.

You can test it to see if it is human hair by putting the tip of a few strands it to a flame. If it is real human hair, it'll burn away instead of melting and will smell like your hair might smell if you put a very hot comb to it. Protein has a distinct smell when it burns.

I have small singles braids in my hair right now and the hair is synthetic. Synthetic hair has come a long way since back in the 90's. It's much nicer and less damaging now, in my opinion. Synthetic hair can be drying so make sure you keep your braids moisturized and you should have no problems.

I've gotten micros in the past with synthetic hair as well and as long as I kept my braids moisturized, I received optimal growth and little to no breakage once I took them out. So the name of the game with synthetic (and/or human) hair is MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE!:grin:

hey there! I never use human hair in fact I USE toyokalon/kanekalon. You can check my fotki...for pics. If youe scared that it will do harm to your hair you can always treat the hair before getting the braids done by dipping the hair into acv to remove the alkaline on it ...theres a video that explains how to do it on Crown and glory website. IMHO, when it comes to damage I think its the way the braids are done that can damage your hair (too small or too tight). Im very sensitive at the scalp and I was never able to keep braids in my hair when I tried as a child because of the itchies and now I can have them in my hair for a month. Everyday I spray some infusium and im good to go . I wash once a week with creme of nature (yellow cap green label). If you have any other question let me know.

Casarela

I read in black hair magazine that if you have a relaxer and you use syn. braids, your are over processing the hair. the syn. braids have chemicals in them so that's way it would do that. hairstylist from the magazine recommand authentic hair. not sure if it is true but just telling ya what i learned.:yep:

I read in black hair magazine that if you have a relaxer and you use syn. braids, your are over processing the hair. the syn. braids have chemicals in them so that's way it would do that. hairstylist from the magazine recommand authentic hair. not sure if it is true but just telling ya what i learned.:yep:

I can see that because its so much dryer.... Did it say how long they can be kept in without doing damage?
thanks

Im very sensitive at the scalp and I was never able to keep braids in my hair when I tried as a child because of the itchies and now I can have them in my hair for a month. Everyday I spray some infusium and im good to go . I wash once a week with creme of nature (yellow cap green label). If you have any other question let me know.

Casarela

I checked out ur fotki and I love ur braids! So how do u treat ur hair with the braids?
PS ur waves are soooooo nice

I've gotten micros in the past with synthetic hair as well and as long as I kept my braids moisturized, I received optimal growth and little to no breakage once I took them out. So the name of the game with synthetic (and/or human) hair is MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE!:grin:

I literally read your post and ran to my bathroom and tried to find something to put in my braids becuz I have definitely haven't used one product since I put these braids in besides a little sulfur spray for the itchies.

What do u moisturize the braids with? I just used my pantene moisture cream cuz I could never use it on my natural hair anyway.

Very helpful thanks

My hair was mostly always been kept in extension braids until this year. I've used human hair but found that I was allergic and it was too expensive. Then I started using synthetic hair. Yes, its so true that the synthetic hair has come a long way since the 80s but I had to give my hair a break from extension braiding mainly because of the dryness. I've used all kinds of sprays, shampoo methods, treating the hair and the bottom line is that my hair is exceptionally dry and synthetic hair literally sucks the moisture out. I'm not discouraging you because I think braids are gorgeous but I just decided that I was tired of losing so many strands when I took my extension braids out despite a meticulous habit that rivaled C&G.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back