Help -- still shedding after using a reconstructor

My hair has been shedding since June. It shed last year during the summer but only for one a half months. I have tried Sensitive by Nature reconstructor two months ago, the IC Fantasia Reconstructor, At One reconstructor, and So Smooth reconstructor, but my hair is still shedding more than normal.

I just finished shampooing my hair in the shower and applied my favorite conditioner which usually makes my comb glide through. Well, the comb glides through, but I am still losing hair no matter how gentle I am combing my hair. It is not breaking just shedding, and I can tell it is getting thinner.
cry3.gif

I am thinking about going to a beauty salon tomorrow and get a reconstructor applied or should I try the Joico K-pak at home. (Some of you have reported excellent results with Joico K-pak. How much does it cost? I also was thinking about trying the Profective 3-n-1 oil since some of you have reported good results with that.

My hair is shoulder length and I have been applying my own relaxer for about 18 months with no problems until now.

Please help.
cry3.gif

Re: Help -- still shedding after using a reconstru

I'm not positive, but I think reconstructors help stop breakage, not shedding. You might try products that condition the scalp. Also I know that some people experienced shedding as a result of health problems. You might want to keep that in mind--could be a sign of internal problems.

When was the last time that you clarified your hair? I always ask that question first when offering suggestions. If it's been a while, then that is step 1.

Next, a professional strength reconstructor is what you need. I don't recommend anything that you can get at Sally's at this point. A professional strength relaxer can help you with both shedding and/or breaking. K-Pak is an excellent choice. So is Keraphix. My recommendation is to use either of these products under the dryer for 10 minutes. Or, just with a plastic cap (no dryer) 15-20 minutes. Do go ahead and follow with a moisturizing conditioner those these two do not necessarily require it.

Nexxus Emergencee is heavy duty and I don't suggest that one just because it doesn't sound like you have "hopeless" damage which is what Emergencee is used to treat.

Good Luck
up.gif

Sorry to hear about your problem
frown.gif
Have to talked with a doctor? Your problem may be health related more than product related. It could be something you are deficit in...as a result of diet or medical problem. I don't have "MD" behind my name, but I would not rule this out.

Good luck with find a solution.

I think Supergirl meant a professional strength RECONSTRUCTOR, not RELAXER...right SG??

Check out Tracy's thread on sesonal shedding....best of luck to you...

I'm with Cybra. You've been shedding too long, especially since it has not crested/tapered off by now. Please make an appointment with your physician to rule out any medical problems.

~Jade~

[ QUOTE ]

Next, a professional strength relaxer is what you need. I don't recommend anything that you can get at Sally's at this point. A professional strength relaxer can help you with both shedding and/or breaking. K-Pak is an excellent choice. So is Keraphix. My recommendation is to use either of these products under the dryer for 10 minutes. Or, just with a plastic cap (no dryer) 15-20 minutes. Do go ahead and follow with a moisturizing conditioner those these two do not necessarily require it.

Good Luck
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Supergirl, did you mean to say I need a professional RECONSTRUCTOR instead. I noticed you said I need a professional relaxer. I have not clarifed in a while. I have used a VO5 clarifying shampoo before. About how does the Joico K-pak and Keraphix cost? How often should I use these professional reconstructors?

About ten years ago, a hairdresser recommended I think Nexxus Headress for me to use as a daily moisturizer when my hair had been overprocessed with color. No, I do not have any color in my hair at the present time. Maybe it was another Nexxus product that I am referring to. I just remember it was in a tube. That probably doesn't help.

I am sitting under the dryer now after shampooing my hair. I hate to shampoo again tomorrow and put a professional reconstructor on it, but I know I some SERIOUS help.

Thanks to you and everyone for your input.
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear about your problem
frown.gif
Have to talked with a doctor? Your problem may be health related more than product related. It could be something you are deficit in...as a result of diet or medical problem. I don't have "MD" behind my name, but I would not rule this out.

Good luck with find a solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not talked to a doctor yet. I am trying conditioners first to see if they work. I also take Geritol. Thanks for your suggestion.

Oops! Definitely I meant a professional strength reconstructor. Let me go and edit...

[ QUOTE ]

Next, a professional strength reconstructor is what you need. I don't recommend anything that you can get at Sally's at this point. A professional strength relaxer can help you with both shedding and/or breaking. K-Pak is an excellent choice. So is Keraphix. My recommendation is to use either of these products under the dryer for 10 minutes. Or, just with a plastic cap (no dryer) 15-20 minutes. Do go ahead and follow with a moisturizing conditioner those these two do not necessarily require it.

Nexxus Emergencee is heavy duty and I don't suggest that one just because it doesn't sound like you have "hopeless" damage which is what Emergencee is used to treat.

Good Luck
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Supergirl,

I was thinking all night about which reconstructor should I use and ended up buying the Keraphix. The salon in my area no longer carries the Joico products because they were not good sellers.

I shampooed my hair with VO5 shampoo for permed/color treated hair. (I have used this off and on with no problem.)

Next, applied the Nexxus Keraphix and combed it through my hair. I was debating about how long to leave it on my hair, because you said 15-20 minutes (with no heat), Tee on the LCHF board said she left it on for 5-7 minutes (no heat), and the bottle stated 3 minutes. So, I chose 12 minutes (with no heat).
smile.gif
I spent probably 7 minutes massaging and combing it through my hair and the other 5-6 minutes with a plastic cap on my head. GOOD NEWS! I did notice that while I was combing the conditioner through my hair that I only lost maybe 5 or 6 strands in the comb.
smile.gif
rofl.gif
laugh.gif
I also noticed that my hair felt definitely stronger after using Keraphix. For the past few months, no matter how gentle I was with my hair it would shed really bad when I combed it (wet or dry).

Next, I rinsed out the Keraphix and applied Soft & Beautiful Moisturizing Complex conditioner for 5 minutes and rinsed that out. I probably lost maybe about 10-12 strands of hair during final combout. But, that is SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN than I have been loosing during comb outs. Then, I sprayed my hair with some very watered down Infusium 23 leave in conditioner and did a wet wrap set.

I am sitting under the dryer now and I will check in later this evening to tell you how my hair was after it finished drying.

Thanks to you and LCHF for all their support.
clap.gif
clap.gif

Back