HELP! S-Curl No Drip Moisturizer??

e.lauren

I read somewhere that not only does the S-curl moisturize, but it helps define curls.

This excited me because my grandmother used to use it all the time and her hair was always soft and extra curly. So i went and bought some and today was my first time using it BUT I think i am using it wrong.

After my co-wash I left a bit of conditioner in and then I sprayed down my hair with the s-curl and finger combed it in to saturate all of my hair. It really didn't do anything for my curls and my hair got frizzy really quick.
I really like how it feels in my hair but I would like more definition and less frizz.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me?
How do you use your S-Curl?
Would you recommend using it under a gel for definition?
Should I be using it on dry hair?

I think most of us see s-curl as a moisturizer--lots of other products for curls. I can't recommend any because I mainly focus on moisture and don't bother anymore with curl definition, too much trouble trying to get my hair to look curly when it's naturally more of a kinky texture. But I'm sure lots of lady's here will have rec's. Good luck!

I read somewhere that not only does the S-curl moisturize, but it helps define curls.

This excited me because my grandmother used to use it all the time and her hair was always soft and extra curly. So i went and bought some and today was my first time using it BUT I think i am using it wrong.

After my co-wash I left a bit of conditioner in and then I sprayed down my hair with the s-curl and finger combed it in to saturate all of my hair. It really didn't do anything for my curls and my hair got frizzy really quick.
I really like how it feels in my hair but I would like more definition and less frizz.

Just curious, why did you leave the conditioner in?

It's just something I always do. I don't like how hair feels when the conditioner is completely washed out.

But that doesn't necessarily work well with every product , maybe it has something to do with how the s curl worked. Idk its my first time using it.

maybe too much was used. sometimes when we are heavy handed with products they tend to have adverse affects on our hair.

I think the combination of the conditioner and scurl was too much for your hair. Also what helps define my curls when I use scurl is once I apply it I do not comb or touch my curls so they don't become frizzy. I cannot comb, brush, or play in my hair until it drys or it will dry into a frizzy mess.

Do not use S Curl with anything else. In my opinion that's where folks go wrong. Just keep it simple. And make sure you braid your hair and baggy at night.

I apply it in sections till hair is moist/wet enough for comb to glide through. Then I comb and style. If applied on damp hair, it will be OK but will dry up and your hair will feel hard. So in the evening, just apply some more to make it moist and easy to comb so you can put it in plaits for the night. In the morning, it'll be soft and easy to comb and you won't have to reapply again till wash day--as long as you baggy. Also on Day 2, your hair will not get hard or feel dry. S Curl applied to dry keeps it soft and moist for days.

I don't care for definition so I don't know about this. Also hair that is tightly coiled with tiny coils isn't easy to define unless you spend hours shingling. I'm just happy to have nice combed-out soft hair.

As I explained above, you hair will stay soft when applied to dry hair, but I usually just apply it to damp knowing once my hair dries, I'll reapply again for days of softness and moisture.

Last edited:
I don't use s-curl on my wet hair b/c the glycerine causes the strands to swell and get frizzy.

s-curl is something I use as a daily moisturizer. Typically I wash and go with my leave in and gel of choice. Then in the morning to refresh I will dampen my hair with water in a spray bottle, then use the s-curl. Once s-curl is applied I shake my hair out over the edge of the tub and go about my business. When it dries I have soft defined curls.

I think raking was a mistake, as well as applying it to hair that was too wet. Also, s-curl doesn't have a ton of hold, so if you have a thick or coarse texture, it may not be strong enough to define the curls. This is where a gel can be handy.

I've never baggied, and I don't braid my hair at night (satin pillowcase & scarf) but that goes to show that there is no one way to use a product. :yep:

I don't use s-curl on my wet hair b/c the glycerine causes the strands to swell and get frizzy.

s-curl is something I use as a daily moisturizer. Typically I wash and go with my leave in and gel of choice. Then in the morning to refresh I will dampen my hair with water in a spray bottle, then use the s-curl. Once s-curl is applied I shake my hair out over the edge of the tub and go about my business. When it dries I have soft defined curls.

I think raking was a mistake, as well as applying it to hair that was too wet. Also, s-curl doesn't have a ton of hold, so if you have a thick or coarse texture, it may not be strong enough to define the curls. This is where a gel can be handy.

I've never baggied, and I don't braid my hair at night (satin pillowcase & scarf) but that goes to show that there is no one way to use a product. :yep:

Thanks !!! That makes so much sense ! I've been natural all my life but i am SUCH a newbie when it comes to this lol.

I use S-Curl daily but only to moisturize, not define curls. It doesn't define my curls and if I wanted more definition, I would probably use gel.

S-curl is a great moisturizer but not for defining curls. It does nothing but make my curls extra frizzy. I use it to moisturize my twist/braid-outs sometime. For curls I would use something else for hold over it.

Back