HELP!!! Relaxer-stretching pains!

Crystalicequeen123

Hey, I have a question guys...

Okay, I used to relax my hair every 6-8 weeks, but lately I've been stretching for 14 weeks. (BIG improvement) And everything is usually fine while I'm stretching. HOWEVER ...the day of my relaxer is torture! :eek: The last time my stylist did my relaxer, her parting of my hair with the comb hurt me so much it brought me to tears! :( I had called myself doing a CO wash 3 days before my relaxer so that my hair would be more "manageble" and easier to see the newgrowth. But it killed me when my stylist tried to put the comb through my hair. :(

So my question is...you ladies who stretch for 12 weeks or longer (some of you go to 6 months! lol*) how do you all deal with the newgrowth pain on relaxer day?

I had this same problem. I stretched for 12 weeks and my hair is so much thicker and stronger but my relaxer barely realxed the new growth! It was so difficult to put the relaxer in and I was so frustrated because I had waited so long and was expecting nice staight hair :( . I'm curious to see how other people have handled this problem.

Amla oil as a pre shampoo treatment, Dabur's or homemade (similar results, minus the mineral oil or noxious smell).

I'm 14 weeks post relaxer (stretching to 22 weeks) and I can comb my new grow AND relax hair because of this stuff. I've tried just shampooing and conditioning and did not get the same result. Amla oil is the key.

Edit to add: I usually leave it in longer than 1 hour. For example last night I left it for 4 hours while I did stuff around the house. I cover my head with a plastic cap and I usually do some form of heat (hot towel or hooded dryer) for the first 10-30 minutes and then without heat for the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Are you moisturizing your hair daily? I'm 11 wks post going for the 16wk stretch, and as long as I moisturize my hair w/my S-curl mix, I have no problem combing. It keeps it soft, and moisturized anything longer than 3 days and it begans to dry in th NG area making it difficult to part, comb do anything w/so I recommend you try to oil that NG w/a moisturizer daily am/pm or at least every other day, I mist spray mine.
Crystalicequeen123 said:
Nope, my hair is actually on the fine side. That's why I'm also kind of perplexed about why my hair is just so hard to part during a relaxer touch up.

I had this problem once and my hairdresser told me to never EVER do that again, lol. It was horrible. She said that it was like my hair hadn't even been combed which was not a good thing.

So, now...I do my hair as close to my relaxer appointment as I can stand and make sure to detangle very well. I also keep it very moisturized, that can make all the difference like Beautiful was saying. Also, a lot of the times during that last shampoo or conditioner wash, I will do something like Sylver's method or a bun, maybe even flat iron. I find that these styles make my new growth the most manageable for my stylist and they are the easiest to keep moisturized IMO.

What I have found to help is about 3-5 days before my relaxer I do my protein, wash, and condition, then after all that I moisturize really well, detangle, then part my hair into 4 single braided sections exactly how I relax it. While I wait for my scalp to recover and be ready for the relaxer I'll wear a wig or something for protection during those 3-5 days. It works out perfectly.

The only thing that has helped me strech 14 weeks is using surge 14 immediately after washing. It made my new growth soft but dont use it three days before you relax. Also i used slyver2 scarf method to help the poof part.

mzjones said:
Amla oil as a pre shampoo treatment, Dabur's or homemade (similar results, minus the mineral oil or noxious smell).

I'm 14 weeks post relaxer (stretching to 22 weeks) and I can comb my new grow AND relax hair because of this stuff. I've tried just shampooing and conditioning and did not get the same result. Amla oil is the key.

Edit to add: I usually leave it in longer than 1 hour. For example last night I left it for 4 hours while I did stuff around the house. I cover my head with a plastic cap and I usually do some form of heat (hot towel or hooded dryer) for the first 10-30 minutes and then without heat for the rest of the time.

How do you make homemade Amla Oil? I can't stand the smell of the Dabur so I only used it once. Also, what other moisturizers do you use beside Amla Oil?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Are you moisturizing your hair daily? I'm 11 wks post going for the 16wk stretch, and as long as I moisturize my hair w/my S-curl mix, I have no problem combing. It keeps it soft, and moisturized anything longer than 3 days and it begans to dry in th NG area making it difficult to part, comb do anything w/so I recommend you try to oil that NG w/a moisturizer daily am/pm or at least every other day, I mist spray mine.

I was going to ask the same question. I am 36 weeks post and I can part comb and run my fingers (with a little push) through my hair because I moisturize. Whenever I touch my hair there is something to moisturize it on my fingertips. Oiling with Amla or Vatika is good for pre shampoo, but also CO washes are better. Your NG needs as much moisture, if not more as your ends.

BeautifulWideEyes said:

Thanks BWE !

I have to admit, I'm not that good at moiturizing my hair. I mean, I put olive oil on my scalp, and I'm using Lenzi's request, but as far as a moisturizer....I have YET to find a GOOD one that my hair loves. :( I was using Elasta QP mango butter as a moisturizer, but then it started making my hair kind of hard, and just weird feeling. Before the Mango butter I used to use the dreaded "Pink Lotion" mess, and that was AWFUL!!

This S-curl stuff...what brand is it? Can it be found at your everyday beauty supply store? I seriously need a good moisturizer because I'm slacking off in that department. :-/

Anymore moisturizer suggestions? :confused:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Thanks BWE !

I have to admit, I'm not that good at moiturizing my hair. I mean, I put olive oil on my scalp, and I'm using Lenzi's request, but as far as a moisturizer....I have YET to find a GOOD one that my hair loves. :( I was using Elasta QP mango butter as a moisturizer, but then it started making my hair kind of hard, and just weird feeling. Before the Mango butter I used to use the dreaded "Pink Lotion" mess, and that was AWFUL!!

This S-curl stuff...what brand is it? Can it be found at your everyday beauty supply store? I seriously need a good moisturizer because I'm slacking off in that department. :-/

Anymore moisturizer suggestions? :confused:
I use the mago butter only on my ends and it actually melts into my hair, I apply it at night and in the morning, ends have never been so moist. I thought it was kind of thick and stiff at first but over a few days I saw a big difference in my use to be dry ends, and just to make the texture a little more creamy I added EVOO, as for the S-curl by Luster's you can find it at any BSS even Wal-mart has it, it was a little to stick and gooey for me so I bought a spray bottle and added Distilled water, EVOO, Avacodo oil, Tea tree oil, Carrot oil, and half of a 5/8 fl. oz. of Smooth'n shine polish Repair Extreme vitamin and mineral leave-in treatment. Shake it up before every use. HTH

LiLi said:
How do you make homemade Amla Oil? I can't stand the smell of the Dabur so I only used it once. Also, what other moisturizers do you use beside Amla Oil?

I "cook" amla powder in extra virgin coconut oil on low flame for 2-3 hours. Then I let it cool and afterwards put it in a jar. Some people here who make their own separate the oil from the amla sediments afterwards, I haven't done that. If you search someone also posted instructions how to make it using a double boiler.

As for other moisturizers I have been using Gary Null conditioner and that's it. I have used s-curl and a whole bunch of others before. My hair doesn't hold moisture for very long, I think it was overprocessed because my new growth feels way more moisturized than the processed hair :ohwell: Sorry to sound so down, but I am really tired of my hair right now. A part of me wanna shave my head again although I don't think I'll do it.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I use the mago butter only on my ends and it actually melts into my hair, I apply it at night and in the morning, ends have never been so moist. I thought it was kind of thick and stiff at first but over a few days I saw a big difference in my use to be dry ends, and just to make the texture a little more creamy I added EVOO, as for the S-curl by Luster's you can find it at any BSS even Wal-mart has it, it was a little to stick and gooey for me so I bought a spray bottle and added Distilled water, EVOO, Avacodo oil, Tea tree oil, Carrot oil, and half of a 5/8 fl. oz. of Smooth'n shine polish Repair Extreme vitamin and mineral leave-in treatment. Shake it up before every use. HTH

Cool! Thanks! Looks like I'll be hitting the beauty supply stores today! Darn, and I was trying to cure my PJ-ism! lol* :D

well i've said it before and i'll say it again... DO NOT AIR DRY YOUR HAIR WHEN IT'S TIME TO GET A RELAXER. We all know how crunchy our roots and hair is. it's very fragile at this time. airdrying should only be done if you want to wear a ponytail/bun or perhaps if you plan to flat-iron.

anywhoo, girl please break out the hand dryer and dry those roots straight. i shouldn't say straight but dry your roots wavy. it'll make a world of difference. Basically while your hair is wet, apply your leave ins, and part in 4 sections. then part each sect in 2 parts, comb with a medium sized (or small tooth) comb and blowdry while you are holding your hair taught. I don't blowdry my ends, but i do blowdry my roots right after conditioning, so they don't be a rough, tangled mess....

i've never had a problem since, and i have a spanish lady applying my relaxer so if she hasn't given me any funny looks and the relaxer process doesn't hurt, then I know it is working.

i hope this helps!

Mizani Mrs, do you blow dry with a round brush holding the roots, or do you use the blow dryer with the comb attachment on it and just run the dryer through?

I'm currently 12 weeks post relaxer. I'll be stretching to 13 weeks, but the stylist that does my relaxer doesn't comb thru the hair. She sections the hair, applies the relaxer (Affirm Sensitive Scalp) and lets it sit. The first time I went to her and she did this I thought she was crazy, but my hair comes out just as straight without all that manipulation, pain and breakage I'm sure this causes.

The other ladies have provided some really good ideas. Good luck, and I hope you find something that works :)

Back