HELP: regimens of those that are growing with kinky twists

LaBelleLL

LHCF friends,
Things have become incredibly hectic for me and I no longer have nearly as much time to devote to taking care of my hair like I use to. Instead of twisting my hair for growth, i'm thinking of putting in kinky twists for growth. For those of you that have done this, how have you taken care of your hair in the twists? What are some of your regimens? How successful were you in encouraging growth?

Thank you all and I look forward to reading.

I grew about 1inch while in my kinky twists. I left them in for only 5 weeks. I wish I could've gone longer, but my hair was basically weighing the fake hair down and I didn't want to risk any breakage.

Anyway, my reggie was as follows:

Cowash: 2x per week
Shampoo: Every other week w/Dr. Bronner's Peppermint or African Black Soap
Leave In: Scurl - Daily
Moisturize: EVCO - Daily

I was on a limited budget as far as haircare products were concerned. But, these served extremely well in a pinch. If I were in Kinky Twists right now though, I'd prolly ditch the Scurl (glycerin)

HTH and HHJ

my sister has been in kinky twists (and sometimes box braids or senegalese twists) for most of the past two or three years. you can see her album in my sig. here's her regimen:

*install them over a two day period (i do this for her)
*spray braids with moisturizing braid spray every other day
*cowash once a week, usually with suave rosemary mint nowadays for that "tingle"
*shampoo once every two weeks (ORS Creamy Aloe is her fave)
*DC every so often, maybe once every 2 weeks, with cholesterol or whatever else is on hand
*add a creamy leave-in from midway point of real hair down to ends
*tie down at night
*after 6-8 weeks, uninstall, detangle, shampoo, overnight DC and reinstall

this low manipulation, high moisture regimen, coupled with the fact that her 4b hair is stretched 95-100% of the time, is undoubtedly what has helped her hair grow to unprecedented lengths.

I follow the crown and glory method wearing kinky twists. I find that they last longer doing it that way. I also have a kinky twist how to video here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ladyair22#p/u/9/hA5EC_5XPEU

I install them on blow dried hair.
Moisturize my hair as I do each twist using BeeMine Luscious.

Then every day I spray my hair & scalp with African Royale Braid Spray.
Every other day I spray the length of the hair with diluted infusium.

I don't grease my scalp at all I don't wash or co wash my hair at all until the last week before I'm about to take them out. then I do wash every day or every other day.

If I start to feel concerned about buildup. I take my shower head sprayer and hold it close to my scalp while holding the length of the hair up in the air. This way I can rinse off my scalp without saturating the hair. This cuts down of fuzz & frizz.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about kinky twist extensions in a couple of weeks. I had a set this summer, but I wasn't 100% thrilled with the results. I didn't seem to have any problems with my real hair as far as matting/tangling (only had them for 4 weeks), but during take down, the extension hair keep knotting/tangling and I think some of my ends may have been sacrificed. I got a trim after, it wasn't a big trim, but I'd like to keep ALL of my ends and not have to trim at all.

How do you keep the hair from tangling during take down? Do certain brands not tangle as much? Or is it more about technique (ie. maybe putting conditioner or some other product on them to get them to detangle better)?

Bump!
I'm getting some put in next Saturday and want to know ahead of time about taking them down so my hair wont mat or break.

I have nubian twists and although I really like them, I have a twa so I'm afraid to wash as I normally would (daily). I went to an African shop to get them done and they were like DON'T WASH YOUR HAIR because they'll fall out. There ain't NO way that I'm not washing my hair cause I think that's gross. Someone suggested wear a stocking cap, then washing but I dunno. How will they ever dry like that???

I know that you are natural but this was my transitioning style. I would moisture spray my twists every day. When it was warm I would rinse 2-3 times a week. In the cooler months I would wash/condition once a week. I would leave my twists in for 6 weeks, take them down and do it again after two weeks or so.

Back