Help Please!!! Tips for 1st time Relaxer Virgin Hair

Dannibear86

This is kinda long...sorry

Hey ladies,

I am a newbie, but have been lurking for a little bit now...see i even know some of the lingo :grin:..anywhoo... I have seen some different threads that talk about certain things to do and to avoid when relaxing hair, but most of it is geared towards touch-ups. I am 22 and this will be my 1st relaxer EVER.... so I'm excited, nervous, anxious, all of that stuff rolled into one.

The reason I want to relax is for a little more manageability, my hair has gotten much easier to deal with over the years but not exactly to my liking. Unfortunately in the past I have been known to use a lot of heat on my hair to keep it straight between wash days... but thanks to the ladies on here I've learned some tips on how to cut that down drastically.

So I'm pretty much hoping you guys can provide me with some tips for what I should do before and after to help maintain my new do.

TIA- Dannibear :yep:

Welcome!!!

Just in the nick of time!!! I just completed my first virgin relaxer today!!!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6524117&postcount=143

Check out my review. Good luck! You are certainly in the right place for all the information you need to have a successful relaxer.

And know that the only difference between a touchup and a virgin relaxer is that you apply the creme to the entire length of the hair instead of just the new growth. In other words, the information you garner on the touchup is just as applicable for virgin relaxers!!!:yep:

baddison thanks for the welcome and the info ... it def makes sense that the tips for touch up's should work for 1st timers

oh I forgot to ask this.. I see everyone saying to base your scalp so that you don't burn... but if while basing my scalp some gets on my hair, will those pieces not relax as well?

If some of the base gets on your hair, it will still relax just fine. Actually it will prevent overprocessing....

Well I was natural for almost 5 years and got a virgin relaxer earlier this year. My mistake is that I used no-lye and it made my hair really straight and limp, and then after a few washes it started to revert. So if you want more of a straight look go with no-lye and if you want more texture than stick with lye. If you need more advice PM me, or check out my fotki.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info sassy...

Ok i have another question ... sorry guys just tryna learn everything I can cuz this is a big deal to me and i don't want my hair to fall out lol ... i wanna know the day that i relax, should i only use the products that come in the box? or should i use the neutralizing shampoo and then in addition use another moisturizing shampoo and conditioner ?
p.s i 'm not self-relaxing but i'm not going to the salon either, so i just want to make sure everything is gunna turn out ok

TIA

Back