Help please!!! question about Moisture vs Oil

I am natural and I have a little dryness at the moment due to excessive washing w/ my dandruff shampoo. So I know that the natural oils in my hair are being stripped. So my question is what is moisture? I keep reading that natural hair is prone to dryness b/c the coil pattern prevents sebum/natural oils from reaching the strands. So do natural oils moisturize and if so then can you substitute natural oils for plant ones live olive, jojba, etc. when necessary. But my hair doesn't even like oils so I don't know why I'm asking about using oils. Or is this an issue of porosity - since oils seal in moisture(water I guess is what I mean by moisture) then moisture evaporates more quickly from natural hair b/c of a lack of sebum to protect the strands. I'm just confused. If my hair doesn't like oils and my natural oils are being stripped my my dandruff shampoo - then how do I moisturize my hair. And please don't say w/ vegetable glycerine b/c that stuff works for one day and then I'm back to square one. Maybe no products at all is the solution. But I still have dandruff.:wallbash:

I am natural and I have a little dryness at the moment due to excessive washing w/ my dandruff shampoo. So I know that the natural oils in my hair are being stripped. So my question is what is moisture? I keep reading that natural hair is prone to dryness b/c the coil pattern prevents sebum/natural oils from reaching the strands. So do natural oils moisturize and if so then can you substitute natural oils for plant ones live olive, jojba, etc. when necessary. But my hair doesn't even like oils so I don't know why I'm asking about using oils. Or is this an issue of porosity - since oils seal in moisture(water I guess is what I mean by moisture) then moisture evaporates more quickly from natural hair b/c of a lack of sebum to protect the strands. I'm just confused. If my hair doesn't like oils and my natural oils are being stripped my my dandruff shampoo - then how do I moisturize my hair. And please don't say w/ vegetable glycerine b/c that stuff works for one day and then I'm back to square one. Maybe no products at all is the solution. But I still have dandruff.:wallbash:

Hey there
I highlighted what I think is most important in your post. Oils do seal in moisture, but it's up to you to get it in there in the first place. Maybe you could try deep conditioning after you shampoo, and then whilst your hair is still damp, but not dripping after rinsing, seal with a good light oil. natural oils like coconut, jojoba and grapeseed are all quite good, as their molecular structure allows the hairshaft to absorb it slightly more than say, natural oils like olive oil, and man-made mineral oil. I wouldn't knock glycerine just because you have to use it daily - sometimes this is the case, and a good indication that your hair accepts the moisture, as opposed to just letting it sit.

Or, maybe you could attack it at the root, so to speak. If heard about baking soda co-washes. However, I wouldn't particularly reccomend rubbing conditioner into your scalp all the time. So maybe, you could get a good deep moisturising shampoo (i think suave does one, i'm not sure) and add a small amount of baking soda to the mixture to prevent the dandruff problem. Then, you wouldn't have so much of a problem with dryness. but I think the moisture-seal process shouldn't be forgotten.
P.s - I find paltas BKC great for a clean, yet moisturised scalp, and that scurl is a good glycerine-based moisturiser for the hair.

Hey there
I highlighted what I think is most important in your post. Oils do seal in moisture, but it's up to you to get it in there in the first place. Maybe you could try deep conditioning after you shampoo, and then whilst your hair is still damp, but not dripping after rinsing, seal with a good light oil. natural oils like coconut, jojoba and grapeseed are all quite good, as their molecular structure allows the hairshaft to absorb it slightly more than say, natural oils like olive oil, and man-made mineral oil. I wouldn't knock glycerine just because you have to use it daily - sometimes this is the case, and a good indication that your hair accepts the moisture, as opposed to just letting it sit.

Or, maybe you could attack it at the root, so to speak. If heard about baking soda co-washes. However, I wouldn't particularly reccomend rubbing conditioner into your scalp all the time. So maybe, you could get a good deep moisturising shampoo (i think suave does one, i'm not sure) and add a small amount of baking soda to the mixture to prevent the dandruff problem. Then, you wouldn't have so much of a problem with dryness. but I think the moisture-seal process shouldn't be forgotten.
P.s - I find paltas BKC great for a clean, yet moisturised scalp, and that scurl is a good glycerine-based moisturiser for the hair.

ITA-good advice!!

Back