Help.... Please. (pics)

I am so depressed. My hair has been thinning and I really don't know why. I tested negative for lupus, and hypoactive thyroid so I don't know why.

I've been shedding like crazy the last three months ago. I think it finally slowed down but the damage is done. I estimate that my volume of hair is about a third of what it used to be.
Growing up I always had really thick hair. Even after I had my son and that shedding massacre, my hair was thick and strong. Now it's so thin, and while it is healthier i don't know where it went. I haven't had any burning relaxers, in fact I've been stretching them for up to four months and... I dont know. I really just don't know.

I'm eight post relaxer, and in all honesty that was probably my last one. Usually it's a struggle to see my scalp with a part after eight weeks, now a strong wind can part my hair.

Here is what my hair sectioned off into four braids is now
18a496ba-f022-c707.jpg

18a496ba-f078-d959.jpg

18a496ba-f09a-0625.jpg

This is the back.... Notice how large the section is and how thin the braid
18a496ba-f0e8-6aed.jpg

18a496ba-f103-cf75.jpg

This is the top of my head, now I can see the thinning :cry:
18a496ba-f16c-7f4a.jpg

18a496ba-f181-38bf.jpg

Now that I look at the pics I can see bald/thinning spots. And it looks like my texture has changed, unless my hair is just growing that much slower. Has anyone ever recovered from this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gonna go :cry2: now with some jump music and a brown bottle

Eta: more pics
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

This is just what my hair looked liked from the protien damage with a chemical in my hair. I learned that my hair did not like protien and I was using a lot at that time trying to grow. and I was using dry shampoos and using it wrong and scrub my hair right out. I cut it all down and never used another chemical on my hair again. I never learned over the years because I would always try something and I would have to cut my hair because it would take my hair out. I really don't know what you have been doing to your hair but it maybe just that your hair is tired of chemicals and other things I have had no problems since I went natrual with my products and left the protein alone.

Thank you.

I had my son two years ago in July. I've been trying really hard to improve my diet ie less carbs and more fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. I've also started taking multivitamins with biotin, coconut oil pills, garlic pills, vitamin d (I work midnights so not a lot of sun). I moisturize with the scurl moisturizer in the blue bottle and seal with hot six oil with a little lavender essential oil mixed in. I dc once a week with Palmers coconut oil deep conditioner and cowash once a week with a mixture of Suave Shea butter and almond oil conditioner and organic fortifying lavender and soy protein conditioner. I've been doing henna (body art quality) with egg, evco, evoo, almond and avocado oils followed by a deep condition once a month. Aphogee 2 min reconstructer twice a month. Always put in Shea butter leave in. No heat, mostly braidouts and buns.

I just took out kinky twists that I had in for three weeks, they might be going back in soon.

As for depression, I was fine until I saw my hair :lachen:. Work had been stressful lately, but nothing too bad. Home life is great, son is very well behaved and my fiancé is very loving, supportive and helpful. I am getting married in late august, but to be honest the planning is a breeze and I'm not stressed about that at all.

and I wrote to you before I read this..... looks to me that you are using too much protien for your hair..... it don't like it and why are you putting egg in the henna???? that is too much protien. I think you have overload. and if you are combing and brushing you just comb and brush your hair away. You only need to use lemon juice to release the color and water in your henna and try moisturizing condtioners for now on. it made a world of difference to my hair but I cut all the damage hair off I was down to 1/4" and didn't care because it was healthy.

I just started the henna/egg last month, but it might be too much protein. I'll lay off protein for awhile and see how it goes.

and I wrote to you before I read this..... looks to me that you are using too much protien for your hair..... it don't like it and why are you putting egg in the henna???? that is too much protien. I think you have overload. and if you are combing and brushing you just comb and brush your hair away. You only need to use lemon juice to release the color and water in your henna and try moisturizing condtioners for now on. it made a world of difference to my hair but I cut all the damage hair off I was down to 1/4" and didn't care because it was healthy.

ShadiyahI was thinking the same thing; too much protein. :yep:

AnakinsmommaPositively no egg. You don't need the lemon juice to release color in henna as Shadiyah suggested either. Just use plain warm water and a dash of oil. Lemon juice can be very drying and is best left out of a henna mix.

PCOS... Thats a scary thought for me. I have other signs of insulin resistance (big waist, puffy jawline) but my cycles are very regular. Its time for an obgyn visit anyway, I'll bring it up.

Just an FYI: Please keep in mind that PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Also, endocrinologists are usually more informed/knowledgeable about PCOS than gynos.

I just started the henna/egg last month, but it might be too much protein. I'll lay off protein for awhile and see how it goes.

that damage hair you are not going to be able to do anything about. your new growth will come back insha Allah and healthy and thick just keep it moist.

@ShadiyahI was thinking the same thing; too much protein. :yep:

@AnakinsmommaPositively no egg. You don't need the lemon juice to release color in henna as Shadiyah suggested either. Just use plain warm water and a dash of oil. Lemon juice can be very drying and is best left out of a henna mix.

well I just know for the best color release if you want the red red for grey hair it is best to mix it with lemon juice over night and then you can continue to add water before applying to your hair. it will not dry if you don't have real dry hair already if you rinse with conditoner. but if you are just using the henna for conditioning purposes and it will not color your hair anyway I guess it really don't matter how you mix it. I use all lemon juice for my mixture and I don't have the drying problem but my hair maybe different then yours. remember every person hair is not the same so it really depends on what you are using the henna for because henna really should not be mixed with water.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf

Please read this book on doing henna for your hair.

Last edited:
Go to www.mountainroseherbs.com and order the following:

rosemary essential oil
clary sage essential oil
golden jojoba oil
coconut oil
Aloe Vera gel can also be nice, but is optional. I personally like it.

When you get the ingredients. Place the coconut into a double boiler and melt. Not to hot or you kill the good things in it.

Add the jojoba oil. For every one cup of oil, add 12 drops of rosemary, 10 of clary sage and about 5 drops of sage. Don't overdue it with the sage because it is toxic at high levels.

Rinse your head and massage these oils into your scalp. Minimize combing for now.

Get rid of any shampoos you use that sodium lauryl sulfate. Stay natural whenever possible with your shampoos and conditioners. The raw shea line is really good, fairly cheap, and pretty good at Target. It has perservatives, but is really gentle.

Use no products with mineral oil.

Get you some MSM, Yarrow Silica drops and a good B vitamin from www.iherb.com and the hair, skin and nails from mountainroseherbs.

Feed your inside with good food and your outside with natural products. It will come in full again if you are consistent. Oh, it seems like you have been stretching for a while. I think this is as good as time as any to give the relaxers a rest. Give your scalp rest and plenty of TLC it will love you for it.

I struggle with carbs too. They make you fat, and place you on the road to diabetes. You must have good sources of protein. Hair and nails live and thrive off protein. You have to have it. A whole foods based protein, mized with EFA is wonderful.
Hope this helps. PM me if you have anymore questions.

Go to www.mountainroseherbs.com and order the following:

rosemary essential oil
clary sage essential oil
golden jojoba oil
coconut oil
Aloe Vera gel can also be nice, but is optional. I personally like it.

When you get the ingredients. Place the coconut into a double boiler and melt. Not to hot or you kill the good things in it.

Add the jojoba oil. For every one cup of oil, add 12 drops of rosemary, 10 of clary sage and about 5 drops of sage. Don't overdue it with the sage because it is toxic at high levels.

Rinse your head and massage these oils into your scalp. Minimize combing for now.

Get rid of any shampoos you use that sodium lauryl sulfate. Stay natural whenever possible with your shampoos and conditioners. The raw shea line is really good, fairly cheap, and pretty good at Target. It has perservatives, but is really gentle.

Use no products with mineral oil.

Get you some MSM, Yarrow Silica drops and a good B vitamin from www.iherb.com and the hair, skin and nails from mountainroseherbs.

Feed your inside with good food and your outside with natural products. It will come in full again if you are consistent. Oh, it seems like you have been stretching for a while. I think this is as good as time as any to give the relaxers a rest. Give your scalp rest and plenty of TLC it will love you for it.

I struggle with carbs too. They make you fat, and place you on the road to diabetes. You must have good sources of protein. Hair and nails live and thrive off protein. You have to have it. A whole foods based protein, mized with EFA is wonderful.
Hope this helps. PM me if you have anymore questions.

Thank you. I'll order these tonight.

I got three phony ponies today, so I'll just keep my hair in buns until I see some recovery.

Back