HELP!!! Newbie with itchy, dry scalp!

chynawhyte

I just found this site a few days ago, and I am hooked!! I used to spend a lot of time on my hair but it became a hassle and I regrettfully have not been taking the best care of my hair that I should. Well now I am reformed and ready to take my journey to healthy hair.

The biggest problems I have is an extremely dry and itchy scalp. I mean UNBEARABLE!! This leads to dandruff which I hate, and SHEDDING! I can't comb my hair without having a million strands in the sink. What am I doing wrong?

I wash my hair atleast once per week, I use Creme of Nature or Pantent Pro V or both. I sometimes use Paul Mitchell Super charged conditioner with a cap or just the Pantene conditioner. I then use Fantasia IC Aloe Leave in scalp moisturizer with a little Nexxus Humectress. I also use a setting lotion - either foam or liquid. Sometimes I wrap the hair and sit under the dryer or I will let it air dry a little and then blow dry.

I have to admit most of the time I didn't wrap my hair at night, i've just started doing that.

My hair is relaxed, and just below chin length. After a relaxer it is very straight and thick. When I wrap it, it looks thinner.

So that's it.... does anyone have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or what I can improve? Help me please!

welcome to LHCF
wave.gif
sorry to hear about the scalp issue, i know that the ladies here have lots of different help to offer. i havent had problems with dry scalp in a while (stopped using hair grease which was a big thing for me to do since i was raised on the stuff
laugh.gif
) and that stopped mine. i know you dont list this in your regimine so your cause is most likely something else but hopefully you can get the advice you need soon
smile.gif
--jainygirl

welcome to the board chynawhyte...sometimes when my scalp is itchy its due to a product buildup on myscalp...i usually do a clarifying treatment (using a clarifying shampoo, or shampoo w/ acv, baking soda, etc) and that works for me. HTH

wave.gif
Welcome to the board.

Jainy made a good point. I never really had a problem with a dry scalp until last year. I suffered from an itchy dry scalp last Winter and Summer. I thought that my scalp needed more oil...so I was oiling it heavily. I think this only made the problem worse because the flaking got worse.

To try and help the problem...I started using Keracare Dry Itchy Scalp Conditioner, and Kercare Humecto Creme Conditioner. The flaking and itching went away after a week of conditioner washes. On the days that you don't wash, try lightly misting your hair and scalp with distilled water and seal it with a good oil. It works wonders.
smile.gif

I see that you listed Pantene Pro V as one of the conditioners that you use. Pantene was EXTREMELY drying to my hair and scalp. I would try a conditioner that promotes moisture like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, or KeraCare Humecto. they worked for me.
smile.gif
I would also cut down on the hair dryer on days that you will be indoors. I've been air drying my hair since a few months before I decided to de-lurk in September, and I believe that it helped a lot too.

WELCOME ABOARD.
wave.gif

You may also want to try doing pre-hot oil treatments with
Extra Virgin Olive Oil and leave it on for 30- hour followed
by a good dandruff shampoo.
I use prescription strenght Nizoral 2% shampoo it is very
good for itchy scalp and follow with a moisturizing shampoo
and conditioner.

Thank you so much for all of your advice and siggestions. I am going to the BSS tomorrow to get a few new products.

I have tried so many different things and nothing seems to work.. I don't oil my scalp and I just started using Pantene, I've tried other shampoos and conditioners but got the same results. Pantene actually had made my hair feel more soft that the others.

It may just be build up, my hair is very dry.. I usually use some jojoba oil on my wrap before I comb it down, maybe that's it, I don't know. My hair looks really dry if I let it air dry.. is that a sign of extremely under moisturized hair?

What exactly is a conditioner wash? I tried a search on the forum but a million posts came up
spinning.gif

I have the same problem. When this happens I usually spray a little water on my scalp to moisturize and put some light natural oil instead of a petroleum based grease on my scalp(the one I use is called African Natural 10 in 1 and I adooooooore it) I hear jojoba oil is really good too since its similar to the oil you scalp is supposed to produce. Anyway I massage the oil in and I'm good to go for the next couple of days! hope that helps!

sheba

Welcome!!!

I had the same problem, and one of the members suggested that I take Essential fatty acids. I think that it helped quite a bit, because i no longer have the problem. Also, I had anemia, and I had to take iron. The Nizoral Shampoo doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

Good Luck!

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Opps, I forgot to mention Uplifting Shampoo from Organic Root Stimulator. That helped a lot too!

Back