HELP!! MY HAIR IS TRICKING ME! (pics)

Need2gro

hoping you ladies can help me pls??

I've been on this board for 4 yrs and just when I think I have my hair figured out, it does a 360 on me :nono: :wallbash::cry2: I swear my hair does something different all the time to TRICK ME!

It takes a little while to get wet, strand stays floating after 3days (Clean hair tested) and yet it dries very quickly, I can do protein and then some. Maybe I dont understand the concept at all, but when my hair is wet in the shower, it stretches quite a bit before snapping, but once its dry, there are sections where I can run my hands through the front of my hair and it snaps about an inch from the bottom. whole hair strand has Rough feeling to it - but its smooth the first 3 days after washing. (My hair is definitely not mushy & gummy in the shower).

Roux porosity control makes my hair feel like straw no matter how I try to use it.

I have been doing Henna/Amla treatments and also doing the Aphogee 2 step- alt once a month. I usually just conditioner wash the treatments out, coz my hair still stays stretchy afterwards. Are there any other products that are more hardcore than the above? Do I need it? I DC with cholestrol wk after I protein to make sure that I balance all the protein, although I feel the DC is a waste of time, just coz my hair is sooo stretchy when wet.

Also, I have a dumb question to ask, does my hair look underprocessed? Or can hair revolve to this state from over processing?
(Hair is soaking wet in all 3 pics)

Oct last yr
004 (405x450).jpg

090 (300x450).jpg

Pic taken 1.18.12
021 (450x328).jpg

My last relaxer was done 1 1/2 months ago. (I relax at ± 4.5 - 5 months) I covered previously relaxed hair. I use regular no-lye motions, I never leave on for more than 12 mins, and I just finger smooth my hair. my left side of my head seems to take longer to relax and my right side goes a whooooole lot quicker, left side is also alot thicker than right side. And I do the protein mid step.

I only use heat once every 5 days and thats when I sit under the hooded dryer to dry my roller set - 30 mins max and my hair is dry. I dont blow my hair out after that, I just wrap.

I been at the same length for the past yr+ coz I stay having to trim split ends off. My last trim was in Oct - took about 2" off and already I have split ends about an 1" up

IM AT MY HAIRS END! Any help would be mooooooost welcome!

I'm on my ereader now, so it's hard for me to see your pics.

Firrst of all, it will be ok. Let's work to figure this out.

Do you ever clarify?
Also, processing for only 12 minutes might be leaving you texlaxed. Are you trying to get as straight as possible when you relax?

I clarified last night, (bought a shower filter, had it installed yesterday) so i thought it was the perfect time to clarify, then I dc'd under the dryer for an hr with a mix of Cholestrol & MT.

I wouldnt mind my hair being straighter, but since I self relax I'm waaay scared of over processing or damaging my hair.

Need2gro - I try not to write long posts but here goes --

If you have low porosity hair as it sounds like you do, Roux PC isn't the product for your hair needs. Roux is best used by those with high porosity not low porosity. I have low porosity and have a blog entry about it.

Steaming, using a water filter and high quality hair products help balance my low porosity hair.

My hair has a tendency to feel coarse after air drying and will snap if I'm not cautious when handling. My hair doesn't have these care restrictions when heat styling it via roller setting. Roller setting is great for my hair although time sometimes doesn't permit me for roller setting.

I don't henna so I can't talk to that. I no longer use hard protein such as Aphogee 2 step. I use reconstructors only as I found my hair to be quite sensitive to hard proteins.

Hair drying quick - I have found this to be the case when my hair wasn't wet from the get go. When I first started this HHJ, my hair would take forever to get wet and dry so quickly. Part to blame was Roux PC. It was restricting moisture from penetrating in my strands. My hair felt wet while in the shower but just as soon as I turned the water off, the water seemed to evaporate just as quickly. So now, I wash (be it shampoo or cowash) my hair twice to ensure it absorbs enough water as I feel that my hair repels water. I apply leave-ins on sopping wet hair to ensure all the moisture (water) is locked in.

I have wave texture to my hair when it's wet. As I understand it from reading some posts, the hair should have a little wave pattern to it even when relaxed bone straight. I know sunnieb is relaxed bone straight so might be able to elaborate.

I agree with divachyk on the porosity issue.

I relaxed my hair bone straight on Sunday and cowashed twice since then. Each time my hair has remained bone straight when wet. But, this can be attributed to the "everybody's hair is different" line of thinking. I airdry only and my hair is always soft.

I don't use henna, but I'll tag you in a thread that discusses it.

How does your hair feel this morning? When was your last trim?

Sent from my Comet

I will add my 2 cents in suggesting reconstructors as well...if your hair stretches quite a bit in the shower then I'll bet you may be over moisturized. For me, when I've been over moisturized my hair didn't feel 'gummy' or 'mushy' in fact it felt what I would describe as silky and soft:look: I believe your hair is only suppose to stretch 30-50% off it's length which really isn't that much (compared to what I was thinking it was). Now I try and be sure to my hair requires some muscle to pull (yet being sure that it is able to snap back and not break). Hope that makes sense.

I'm also bone straight and my hair is pretty much straight when it's wet.

Last edited:
Amla made my hair feel very rough and caused it to tangle. I was losing a lot of hair to tangles. I took me a while to figure out it was the Amla that was doing this because I had started using yes to carrots conditioner at the same time. I thought it was the condish at first so I stopped using it and continued the Amla the problem just became worse. I then eliminated the Amla and my hair started to recover.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Your hair has a clumpy rough appearance to it so i thought you were kinda texlaxed? I think it may be the henna or alma. I suggest to stop using them for awhile and see how your hair responds. AO gbp is not a heavy protein and has a nice balance of both protein and moisture.

Amla made my hair feel very rough and caused it to tangle. I was losing a lot of hair to tangles. I took me a while to figure out it was the Amla that was doing this because I had started using yes to carrots conditioner at the same time. I thought it was the condish at first so I stopped using it and continued the Amla the problem just became worse. I then eliminated the Amla and my hair started to recover.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

I had the same issue. I wonder if there's something about Amla oil and low porosity? Amla oil made my hair tangle terrible (even though I had amazing shine!).

When my hair went through this change, I stopped protein treatments altogether. Now, I steam with moisturizing or mild protein conditioners. It's also winter, so the air is drier than other months. Pre-pooing with oil has helped me.

OP,

You gave lots of details. Thank you for that. Excellent responses so far. Here are a couple of issues I see:

*no-lye relaxer -- these dry the hair out and make the hair more resistant to conditioning treatments

*12 minute relaxer -- yes, your hair is probably underprocessed, but this is only a problem if you prefer a straighter texture or if underprocessed hair makes it difficult for you to manage your hair. Texlaxers underprocess on purpose all the time, so like I said, in and of itself this doesn't have to be problematic. For me, underprocessed hair is problematic because of my personal preferences.

*DCing for an hour -- this is overkill and unnecessary. A conditioner can only penetrate so far into the hair. Doing it for an hour doesn't make the treatment more effective. There is such a thing as overconditioning the hair. Balance is key.

Are you talking Amla oil Boujoichic and Tiffanita or some other type of amla that I'm not considering? Amla oil doesn't tangle my low porosity hair. When did you find it tangling? Dry hair, pre-wash, post-wash, etc?

sunnieb my last trim was in Oct, since then i've been doing S & D. I prefer the bone straight relaxer, as its easier to work with my hair. Could I do a corrective, or should I wait a while?

My hair feels super soft today. Not sure if its the water filter, conditioning or the shea butter I put on after roller setting - or all 3.

I will put the henna & amla mix on hold for now & pick up a reconstructor. How often should I use?
Thank you ladies for ur insight.

Try using a chelating shampoo. It sounds like your problem is coming from your no-lye relaxer leaving mineral deposits on your hair and leaving it dry. The shampoo will remove the deposits and allow all of your treatments to really penetrate your strands.

Need2gro

Yes, you can do a corrective. The minimum wait time is 3 weeks. I usually just wait until the next relaxer and "overlap" the previously relaxed hair that was underprocessed.

I don't relax my hair, but just wanted to mention that Henna makes my hair dry and it would take me weeks to recover. I'd do Amla treatments if I were you (its moisturizing) and leave the Henna alone.

before I even read all the other responses I am telling you it sound like you have protein overload... OMG all I can read is protein protein protein ... I think if you get some moisture in your hair you will see a big difference. the one thing that everyone told me about was the moroccan oil intense hydrating mask it is very moisturizing and I love love love the smell. tell me what happens

Try using a chelating shampoo. It sounds like your problem is coming from your no-lye relaxer leaving mineral deposits on your hair and leaving it dry. The shampoo will remove the deposits and allow all of your treatments to really penetrate your strands.

Silly question, is there a difference btwn a chelating & a clarifying shampoo?

@Need2gro

Yes, you can do a corrective. The minimum wait time is 3 weeks. I usually just wait until the next relaxer and "overlap" the previously relaxed hair that was underprocessed.

Thank u, Maybe I should wait until my next relaxer, coz at the moment, I cant make out what is new growth and what is not.

Back