Help my hair is growing

nita4

Ladies, this is not a complaint, but...my hair is where it was before I jacked it up. I truly believe that extending my relaxer, "little" heat useage, the right products, patience and care has helped me regain my healthy hair. My problem is I don't know how to take care of longer hair.

Please don't think this a silly question. As my hair grows - I'm finding as I get beyond 10 weeks post relaxer that I'm having challenges. I get mad tangles/knots after shampooing - I'm using a wide tooth comb, leave in's - beyond being gentle, are their any other tips I need to know.

Also, do any of you wear your own hair when you extend your relaxer without the help of braids, hair pieces, wigs or weaves? I wear my pinned up and found that during the last two weeks I've had to blow dry and wear for a week in order to manage. I'd rather not use the heat at all, but I'm looking rough. I guess I could braid to maintain and wear in a textured style. Any other suggestions?

Ladies, any other tips on maintaining beyond 10 weeks would be helpful.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

For me extending my relaxer requires using a little heat. I am currently in my 7th month. I was deciding whether or not to go natural. My hair is type 4a and shrinks at the sight of water. On a weekly basis I would use a ceramic flat iron to press out the new growth. I know how you feel, the more new growth you have the harder it is to manage.

I know that a lot of people use non heat methods like braid outs and twist outs.

I keep it conditioned by doing a deep conditioner once weekly. You will find that in the extension of relaxer state your hair will tangle more. Some type of leave-in conditioner is good for that. I use Infusium. Just take your time when washing and styling to prevent breakage.

Nita,
I also had to blow dry this week to deal with this 9-week post relaxer new growth. I'm wondering if relaxing sooner is healthier than blowdrying? Or is it just a "catch-22"?

JenJen, I don't have enough new growth to relax prior to 10 weeks. During the summer our hair supposedly grows faster so I think that may be the problem with my looking rougher then normal. During the winter I did 10 weeks and it was a breeze.

I would rather use the heat once a week, deep condition and keep my ends moisturized, then relax sooner.

How are you maintaining as your hair grows longer???

Don'tspeakdefeat,

You are going to have to give me pointers on how you take care of your 4a hair. My baby has 4a hair and it shrinks at the sight of water too. Even though I'm gentle with her hair, it doesn't seem like its thriving. So, anything that you could share would be appreciated.

It will ultimately be your decision whether you go natural or not. I fought with that decision for a long time, but I just don't have the time to deal with my natural hair.

I wish you the best if you decide to go natural. Going seven months is awesome.

What's really helped me since my hair started to get longer is that I shampoo it far less. The less shampoo I use and the less frequently, the more manageable it seems to stay.

I also find that the longer my hair gets the less I try to keep my hair ultra straight. It just isn't as easy to do anymore, doesn't last as long, and doesn't make much sense overall anymore. It takes too much effort to keep the lengths straight - so even if I rollerset I tend to leave the ens kinda wavy for some interest - and it stresses me less.

As far as maintaining beyond 10 weeks - braidoouts/twist outs/airdrying curly are the BEST way to extend touch ups IMO. They just really stop you from having to mess with the 2 textures too much AND you feel cute so you aren't messing with your hair all the time.
smile.gif

Good Luck Chica...

And CONGRATS on your hair growth - let's NOT lose sight of that....!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
How are you maintaining as your hair grows longer???

[/ QUOTE ]

The pre-shampoo hot oil treatments 2x week help greatly as well as conditioner washes. I try braid outs but they start to look
nuts.gif
2 days after. I need more practice on maintaining the braid out. Profectiv Root Health is my best friend right now.

It's really hard and disheartening at this stage (9 weeks. )I don't think I'll stretch it this far anymore unless I have braids or some type of protective style. My ends are crying out for help right now!

I wonder why my ends start looking worse when I get more new growth????
confused.gif

Is it possibly because the hair is growing in unevenly making the ends look uneven?

JenJen, what I really like to do after my shampoo and condition is slightly airdry, braid in about 8 individual braids (I can't french braid to save my life) and let dry over night. In the morning I take out, lightly spray my hair with a mixture of distilled water, glycerin & world of curls, put a shea butter mixture on my ends and pin up, but in order to keep the textured look...I have to braid nightly which means I re-spray and add shea butter to my ends. This keeps my hair and ends from becoming dry. But like I mentioned, I have to do this nightly and as my hair gets longer, it's becoming a chore.

I think I will take Tracy's suggestion and shampoo less often, once a week instead of twice. I think by using more braids for texture and blending, I need to find a way to pin up where I look decent, protect my ends, and extend my style. This way I can still moisturize daily without having to re-do nightly. Sounds like a plan...will try this weekend. Remember I'm still trying to make it to 16 weeks.

Back