help ! my hair is a mess (pictures included)

TheQueenBeeMaya

so, after hearing all the rave reviews (and seeing pictures) of KCCC and knot today i drove down to LA and picked some up along with a denman brush. i was so excited when i got home that the first thing i did was hop in the shower to try this stuff out. the result? a mess ! my hair is sticky (i know this means i used too much) not much curl definition (my hair is a 3C) and overrall, just a mess. those of you who have used it with success, what process did you use? here is a picture of the disaster i'm speaking of.....

i really want this natural thing to work. but i'm getting frustrated and am THISCLOSE to going to my stylist to get my usual press. help please ! i see everyone elses beautiful hair on this page and i wonder...why can't mine look like that?

myhair4.jpg

I haven't ever used that KCCC or Knot Today or a denman so I have no input. But your hair is pretty though. Have you ever tried doing a bantu knot out...you'd end up with some cute curls. And you can probably use the KCCC to do it.

Are you transitioning? Or have you just been a pressed sista for a long time?

It looks like your hair seems to be straight certain places, so it doesn't have any major curl definition due to the straightening process or being partly relaxed (if you are transitioning).

You might need to do some styling to get some curls. 8 or however many BANTU knots might help create a curl fro. And of coruse a braid out will help greatly.

you have a lot of straight ends, do you press a lot? your straight ends may be heat damage. this is a tutorial where the lady has hair similar to yours. you may want to review this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBFRJXE_l3s

i just used it on my hair and loved it! you can see pics in the blog link in my siggy below.

I ask that question because your hair seems straighter on the ends. You will have to grow out the straight part, in the meantime try some twistouts, braidouts, roller sets, etc. Good luck.

Are you transitioning? Or have you just been a pressed sista for a long time?

It looks like your hair seems to be straight certain places, so it doesn't have any major curl definition due to the straightening process or being partly relaxed (if you are transitioning).

You might need to do some styling to get some curls. 8 or however many BANTU knots might help create a curl fro. And of coruse a braid out will help greatly.

i've been pressing my hair since i can remember, i've never had a relaxer. i did a braid out the other day and it came out like this. i know i look mean, i wasn't quite ready for the camera ! (the only products i used with the braidout was oliveoil and coconut oil on the ends)

myhair5.jpg

I haven't ever used that KCCC or Knot Today or a denman so I have no input. But your hair is pretty though. Have you ever tried doing a bantu knot out...you'd end up with some cute curls. And you can probably use the KCCC to do it.

thank you for your kind words, i think i'm going to try bantu knots tonight or tomorrow. i'll post the results

I agree with those who are suggesting bantu knots. Has your hair been clarified yet? Sometimes that helps with how your hair will respond to product.

I agree w/the other posters. I think the straight ends are the issue. You will probably have to use a gel or some type of holding product and do tight twists or braids for more definition. I imagine you could probably do a nice rod set. KCCC didn't work well on my hair either.

I just edited my post because you already posted the answer.

Do you think you might have heat damage? I hope not.

You hair is just heat straightened. And there is nothing wrong with that, however you aren't going to get natural results from these techniques you are going to get relaxed results because your hair is straight.

How did you do your braid out? Small braids? You might want to try larger cornrows. Maybe it will give you a more chunky look..which is cute to.

You hair is just heat straightened. And there is nothing wrong with that, however you aren't going to get natural results from these techniques you are going to get relaxed results because your hair is straight.

How did you do your braid out? Small braids? You might want to try larger cornrows. Maybe it will give you a more chunky look..which is cute to.

so, just making sure i understand. because i press my hair so much my hair is "trained" to be straight and has lost a lot of its natural curl pattern causing it to behave like relaxed hair? is there anyway (besides the obvious of stop pressing it) to help revert it to its natural texture

so, after hearing all the rave reviews (and seeing pictures) of KCCC and knot today i drove down to LA and picked some up along with a denman brush. i was so excited when i got home that the first thing i did was hop in the shower to try this stuff out. the result? a mess ! my hair is sticky (i know this means i used too much) not much curl definition (my hair is a 3C) and overrall, just a mess. those of you who have used it with success, what process did you use? here is a picture of the disaster i'm speaking of.....

i really want this natural thing to work. but i'm getting frustrated and am THISCLOSE to going to my stylist to get my usual press. help please ! i see everyone elses beautiful hair on this page and i wonder...why can't mine look like that?
myhair4.jpg

Girl my hair looks like this too and I'm relaxed.:rolleyes: (I think I need a retouch!:lachen:)

You can try to do some treatments and see if that will help your curls come back...protein works for some ladies, but more moisture can also enhance curl pattern.

But generally speaking if hair is heat trained then it will have to be cut off if you want a full head of curls.

so, just making sure i understand. because i press my hair so much my hair is "trained" to be straight and has lost a lot of its natural curl pattern causing it to behave like relaxed hair? is there anyway (besides the obvious of stop pressing it) to help revert it to its natural texture

Well, I don't know if pressed hair ever behaves like relaxed hair, but I say you got the just of it down to a T.

When naturals get heat damage after straightening alot of people tell them to clarify and keep DC and hopefully the curls pop back. However, my friends who are pressed sistas there hair has never reverted back to the natural state, but more of a texturized state.

And I have a friend who wears her hair curly (well w/o a press) for 3 months out of the year (summer). In that 3 month period conditioner is her best friend she washes her hair at least twice a week and the natural state has never returned.

Others may have some better advice, but I don't believe there is a way to get back to the natural state after being pressed for so long. I wouldn't cut my hair either. If you want natural hair than I would transition to natural or just work with what I have. Much Favor.

I thought you were transitioning at first. Your ends look heat straightened but I think you can definitely work with it instead of cutting. That is, unless you want you hair to be one consistency. Have you tried straw sets or bantu knot outs? HISdaughter has gorgeous pics of her bantu knot out.

Pretty much the only thing you can do to get your natural curl pattern is to grow it out. Basically transition it. But in the mean time just do curly sets or what not. Heat is tricky and for some it doesn't affect their hair at all and for others all it takes is one time.

thank you to everyone who responded ! i never would have thought *I* would have head damaged hair. I guess i'm now on the journey to repairing it. I think my new reg is going to be

co wash 2x a week with suave coconut (not the greatest, i know, when i run out i'll upgrade)
deep condition 1x a week with queen helene hair cholesterol
moisturize everyday with knot today leave in
olive oil and ends and seal with coconut oil
wearing braidouts as my main style (its not too cold here in california, in the 60s maybe)

i'm trying to give my hair a much needed break from the pressing comb. does this reg sound okay? does anything need tweaking?

thank you to everyone who responded ! i never would have thought *I* would have head damaged hair. I guess i'm now on the journey to repairing it. I think my new reg is going to be

co wash 2x a week with suave coconut (not the greatest, i know, when i run out i'll upgrade)
deep condition 1x a week with queen helene hair cholesterol
moisturize everyday with knot today leave in
olive oil and ends and seal with coconut oil
wearing braidouts as my main style (its not too cold here in california, in the 60s maybe)

i'm trying to give my hair a much needed break from the pressing comb. does this reg sound okay? does anything need tweaking?

Looks good to me. Your braidout is really cute. My friend is growing out her heat damaged ends right now as well and her hair is very similar to yours. She wears braidouts all the time. And if you want curly ends just use some perm rods overnight.

Hate to be blunt but I think you've got heat damage. You may need to manipulate the hair by braiding or bantu knots like others have said. What happened immediately after the Denman? Any coils? You may need to roll your hair to get curls.

Hate to be blunt but I think you've got heat damage. You may need to manipulate the hair by braiding or bantu knots like others have said. What happened immediately after the Denman? Any coils? You may need to roll your hair to get curls.

after using the denman there were no coils, it looked pretty much just like how it looks in the picture, a mess. it was so dissapointing.

Hey I'm sorry about that. I had to come back here after throwing that out. When I say "damaged" I mean that you have broken too many bonds in the hair to get the coil you are after. Your hair may not be breaking off and it may feel soft and that's fine if you prefer a straight heat styles look. But if you really want to see coils, like others have suggested you might consider growing the heat "straightened" parts out. Look at CurlyNikki's hair you can see the straighter ends and the coily roots. She uses perm rods while growing it out and it's really cute. Check out her website.

Back