Help My Friend: Komaza Protein Breaking And Tangling Lowpo, Medium Density Hair?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all.

I hope this post finds you well.

My curlfriend J asked me today for help, and I couldn't help. I told her I'm on a hair forum and would post the question and get back to her.

Here's the message she sent me:
I've used the Komaza 5 times (including today). When I rinsed it out after leaving it in for 20 minutes, my hair tangled and knotted immediately. It was squeaky. It took forever to detangle with my moisturizing deep conditioner. And there was some breakage. I also lost a lot of hair. I didn't detangle prior to shampooing (I haven't been doing so since I got the cut).

Has that ever happened to you?

When I told her I'd be posting to a hair forum, she told me to tell you guys that she's lowpo and her hair has medium density.

I couldn't help: I'm hipo and normpo/mediumpo (whatever you call it), and I never get breakage with the Komaza treatment. I detangle prior.

I know that some of you lowpo ladies do protein as need. Thanks for any help you can provide!

How often is she doing the protein? I'm low po and I rarely do protein. I've never tried the komaza. Maybe she needs to lay off the protein and stick to moisturizing DC. Is she maybe experiencing protein overload from the treatment along with proteins in her other products? I hope she figures it out.

I'm low po and use the komaza. As coilystep asked, how often is she using it. Did she also sit under the dryer per directions.

If she didn't remove she hair before shampooing and applying protein I would say that's a problem.

Deep conditioning her hair for at least and hour or two should have returned her hair to normal.

How often is she doing the protein? I'm low po and I rarely do protein. I've never tried the komaza. Maybe she needs to lay off the protein and stick to moisturizing DC. Is she maybe experiencing protein overload from the treatment along with proteins in her other products? I hope she figures it out.
I agree. Too much protein. Sounds like my protein overload experience. My hair was breaking like a dead Christmas tree! It was so tangled.

I'm low po and use the komaza. As coilystep asked, how often is she using it. Did she also sit under the dryer per directions.

If she didn't remove she hair before shampooing and applying protein I would say that's a problem.

Deep conditioning her hair for at least and hour or two should have returned her hair to normal.

You're supposed to sit under the dryer? Do they sell more than 1 protein treatment?

(Off to read directions again)

You're supposed to sit under the dryer? Do they sell more than 1 protein treatment?

(Off to read directions again)

I re-read my instructions when I read @faithVA's post. Mine says not to cover with a plastic baggy. My bottle's directions do not say anything about sitting under a dryer.

@shortdub78 , I feel as if this is a Chemistry lesson, and I want to learn! What does the salt do to the protein?
Ok basically it breaks down protein for the conditioner to penetrate the hair strands better. The hair becomes porous and able to absorb moisture. Since the hair becomes porous, you can't do this for a long time. 5-15 minutes tops. I would check my hair too to make sure it doesn't become mushy.
Also if you have hard water, that can make protein overload worse.
Also adding a capful of Castile soap to a cup of conditioner works well too.

@shortdub78 that is absolutely brilliant. I wonder what would happen if I added salt to olaplex.............

I get what you are getting at, but salt would break the protein down while olaplex is trying to rebuild bonds. I'm not sure if it's marketed towards protein treatment (I've read otherwise) but that may be iffy. I'm not sure that's an experiment I'd want to try.

UPDATE

Tags:
@Coilystep
@faithVA
@shortdub78
@snoop
@discodumpling
@Saludable84
@ms.blue
( @miss_a )

I got some more information. What do you guys think?

J says:
To answer your question, I've been using the Komaza once a month since April and this is the first time I've experienced this feeling. The only other product that I use that contains protein is my daily moisturizer. Hydrolyzed wheat protein is the 6th product in the list of ingredients. I was using it twice a week but I've stopped since the day I started having this issue.

I'm just not sure how many times I should do the conditioner/salt treatment and for how long I should do a moisture only regimen.

UPDATE

Tags:
@Coilystep
@faithVA
@shortdub78
@snoop
@discodumpling
@Saludable84
@ms.blue
( @miss_a )

I got some more information. What do you guys think?

J says:
To answer your question, I've been using the Komaza once a month since April and this is the first time I've experienced this feeling. The only other product that I use that contains protein is my daily moisturizer. Hydrolyzed wheat protein is the 6th product in the list of ingredients. I was using it twice a week but I've stopped since the day I started having this issue.

I'm just not sure how many times I should do the conditioner/salt treatment and for how long I should do a moisture only regimen.

More than likely it is the moisturizer and not the Komaza even though she is using the Komaza too often. As a low po head I can not use protein after I condition because it builds up on the hair. It's possible she may have product build up. I would suggest to clarify, I usually use mud/clay but she can use a clarifying shampoo. Then deep condition. Then if she wants to use protein keep it to every 6 months to once a quarter, unless she can tell she needs it more often. She doesn't need it monthly unless she is coloring her hair or straightening it often.

I will let shortdub comment on the salt/conditioner. I don't know much about it.

More than likely it is the moisturizer and not the Komaza even though she is using the Komaza too often. As a low po head I can not use protein after I condition because it builds up on the hair. It's possible she may have product build up. I would suggest to clarify, I usually use mud/clay but she can use a clarifying shampoo. Then deep condition. Then if she wants to use protein keep it to every 6 months to once a quarter, unless she can tell she needs it more often. She doesn't need it monthly unless she is coloring her hair or straightening it often.

I will let shortdub comment on the salt/conditioner. I don't know much about it.
As far as the salt, did she see any improvement since she has tried it? Also she may need to clarify like FaithVA stated, then use that method. That's not something you do often. It's just used to correct, or to allow hair to take in the proper moisture it needs. The Castile soap is less harsh if used weekly.
Now she would have to go use no protein containing products, until the issue is corrected. So ditch the moisturizer and find out what protein means in other product ingredient lists. She needs to deep condition with a conditioner that contains no protein as well as shampoo with no protein.

I get what you are getting at, but salt would break the protein down while olaplex is trying to rebuild bonds. I'm not sure if it's marketed towards protein treatment (I've read otherwise) but that may be iffy. I'm not sure that's an experiment I'd want to try.
@Saludable84 , thank you--I'll take your word for it. (slowly, backs away from the salt and unused olaplex...)

My hair is fine/medium. I use the protein treatment once per month, but I follow it with a moisturizing conditioner.

My moisturizer has hydrolyzed silk. However, I'm medium/high po.

Ditto and I've been doing so for years! I think she needs to clarify.

I think folks over do it when the use protein every wash in between those monthly treatments.

Back