HELP! My cousin's challenge to me

debyjay

HELP! My cousin\'s challenge to me

So, I'm always going on and on about hair care and have a room full of products at my house, my cousin who has the worse 4/B hair on the planet took out her braids, cut off the relaxed part and is sporting 4 inches 4/B natural hair. She will be coming over this weekend for me to make her hair "soft" -- coz I said I could way back in the summer when I first joined LHCF.

Anyways, I need suggestions guys as I have never dealt with natural hair. Her hair is a mess and breaking a lot. Do I protein her? deep condition? any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA

Deby

Re: HELP! My cousin\'s challenge to me

I would suggest preconditioning with LeKair Cholesterol and then using good moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. I mix my Lekair with honey, coconut milk and lime. The combination has given me great slip, moisture, alleviates breakage and loosens my curl pattern.

I would say pre-treat with a hot oil, wash with a detangling/moisturizing conditioner, follow with Aphogee protein treatment (the one that get's your hair hard), and finish with a deep moistuizing conditioner.

Tebby

*if you must use protein make sure you follow up with a moisturizer But before you start anything I would do a pretreatment.

Honey and oilve oil always works for me, I use this as a prewash before I do a conditoner wash with sauve. So here the mix for it.

"from the honey.com website:

Hair Conditioner — Mix 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 Tablespoons oil for normal hair.) Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry as normal

* it is a little messy, but it works!!!
*if she uses a shampoo make sure it does not contain any sls.
* then if She wants too she can use a rinse-out protein conditioner.
* make sure she follows up with a deep moisturizing conditioner like Lekair (green kind).

Also I would have her mix some conditioner, water and oilve oil in a bottle and spray her hair from time to time with it. She could use this as a leave in.

*She could perchase some "Sta Sfo Fro" for moisture on a daily basis-it only takes a little bit.

Last but not least I would refer her to nappturality.com-its a web site that would help her work with and understand her natural hair better.

Is is breaking now that she cut her relaxed ends off. If so then I would precondition with anything already recommended. Wash then put a protein conditioner foloowup with a moisturizing conditioner and the sta-So Sof. I have 4b(which I don't think there is anything about it that is the worst btw) hair and this works great.

Thanks guys!

cutebajangirl, I have 4/b also, my cousin's hair has to be seen to be believed. She has had one(1) deep conditioning treatment in her life after I pleaded with her -- mayo from her fridge! Yes her hair is still breaking, she said she washed it last Sunday and the natural hair is brittle and breaking.

I actually want to prove to her that her hair can look and feel good.

Thanks for suggesting the Sta-Sof-Fro guys, I totally forgot about that miracle product.

It definitely sounds like some deep conditioning is over due...The longer she can keep the conditioner on...the better.

If she decides the twist it up afterwards...use shea butter to add to the sections before each twist...my hair came out as soft as a newborns baby's hair this morning as a result of the shea butter.

She might want to start spritzing with a leave in conditioner that has Rosemary oil added to it.

Let us know how it turns out.

Debjay- I see what you are saying. I have friends like this too, they do nothing then complain or think their hair is the worst in the world. I'm like hello can you try something first before you give up. Good luck with her and work your LHCF magaic skills.

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
*if you must use protein make sure you follow up with a moisturizer But before you start anything I would do a pretreatment.

Honey and oilve oil always works for me, I use this as a prewash before I do a conditoner wash with sauve. So here the mix for it.

"from the honey.com website:

Hair Conditioner — Mix 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 Tablespoons oil for normal hair.) Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry as normal

* it is a little messy, but it works!!!
*if she uses a shampoo make sure it does not contain any sls.
* then if She wants too she can use a rinse-out protein conditioner.
* make sure she follows up with a deep moisturizing conditioner like Lekair (green kind).

Also I would have her mix some conditioner, water and oilve oil in a bottle and spray her hair from time to time with it. She could use this as a leave in.

*She could perchase some "Sta Sfo Fro" for moisture on a daily basis-it only takes a little bit.

Last but not least I would refer her to nappturality.com-its a web site that would help her work with and understand her natural hair better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the honey and olive oil really work? Can I follow it up with a regular shampoo?

yes, the honey & olive oil works. when i'm not being lazy, i use it and it's excellent. search the forum for a thread on pretreatments. everyone was discussing their favorites. also, check the recipe board. lots of good stuff there.

What exactly does the honey/olive oil do? Is it for softening? 1/2 cup of honey is a lot!
laugh.gif
shocked.gif

i don't know if i'm explaining this correctly, but honey is a humectant (adds moisture). so it's good for your hair. like i said, do a search. maybe by my name because i remember asking how it works.

If it's brittle already, I wouldn't apply a protein treatment.

Try shea butter or a product containing it (ION straightening conditioner works well on my new growth) to soften and moisturize her hair. There are many shea butter raves on nappturality.com.

Sta-sof-fro is great right after the shower during the combout. Tell her to be generous with it.

She's going to have to start using a moisturizing conditioner regularly on her own. I'll recommend Rusk 60 Second Hair Revive.

The honey/olive oil treatment does work. I also recommend that after shampooing, she mixes it with her conditioner and sits under the dryer with a shower cap to allow the conditioner to penetrate since shampoo can be drying to the hair. I do this weekly, and it works wonders!

delightful, do you only use it as a conditioning treatment and not a pretreat?

Hey Meg, thanks. One more thing I was wondering about -- the drying process, she has had a cold since she was a kid so air drying might not be an option, do you think a warm bonnet dryer wil be okay?

TIA

"Does the honey and olive oil really work? Can I follow it up with a regular shampoo?"

Sure just make sure it does not have SLS in the shampoo.

"What exactly does the honey/olive oil do? Is it for softening? 1/2 cup of honey is a lot!"

Yeah it is, but you don't have to use that amount, lol. When I use and conditioner wash after that it makes my hair feel soft and moisturized.

[ QUOTE ]
dstdiva said:
delightful, do you only use it as a conditioning treatment and not a pretreat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I used to use it as a pretreat, but my scalp is really sensitive. I have to get it really clean or I itch like crazy.

So, it's better to me if I shampoo with a natural shampoo with no SLS and then deep condition. I use either Lekair cholesterol or Elasta QP's DPR-11 Remoisturized, some oil, and some honey. (I don't really measure). Then I put my shower cap on and sit under the dryer.

[ QUOTE ]
debyjay said:
Hey Meg, thanks. One more thing I was wondering about -- the drying process, she has had a cold since she was a kid so air drying might not be an option, do you think a warm bonnet dryer wil be okay?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno how she plans to style it (cornrows, afro puff, etc).

The bonnet's going to take forever to dry a thick free-form afro, and you run the risk of crisping the outside while the inside is still moist.

I would bonnet dry, blow dry it with cold air, or even towel dry til it's DAMP, then airdry the rest of the way.

I would not bonnet dry or blow dry it til it's COMPLETELY dry unless you're rollersetting it to get it straight.

I was natural for several years, and I had the opposite problem. My difficulty was always that the afro airdried while I was detangling/combing, so I had to repeatedly spritz it to moisten.
ohwell.gif

Also be sure you discuss with her how to maintain her hair. Sharing healthy hair tips, etc. Make sure she doesn't think you're going to miracally "fix" or "soften" her hair. The damage is done, but the good part is that it's only going to get better.

I agree with everything above. A pre shampoo, gentle shampoo, protein treatment, moisturizing conditioner. I would airdry or use a t-shirt to soak up the excess water. Do the same thing again next week, but without the protein. Good luck

Do not comb her hair dry. Use a rosemary spritz, braid spray, sta-sof-fro or just plain ole water will do. Then comb her hair.

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
If it's brittle already, I wouldn't apply a protein treatment.

Try shea butter or a product containing it (ION straightening conditioner works well on my new growth) to soften and moisturize her hair. There are many shea butter raves on nappturality.com.

Sta-sof-fro is great right after the shower during the combout. Tell her to be generous with it.

She's going to have to start using a moisturizing conditioner regularly on her own. I'll recommend Rusk 60 Second Hair Revive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if it's brittle it needs the protein for strength of the strands. 9Cathy howse says this and she's so right) Especially after braiding which stress the hair, the wrapping of syntheic or human hair constantly stretching the hair strand. it's like people who go bald of the tension of the same tight ponytail everyday. Like other stated, it's imperative to follow the strengthening with great moisturizers.

Also let your cousin know that it may not be soft right away. It may take a couple of months to fully repair the lost mositure of her natural hair. But she will notice a different from before.

Back