Help me reach my APL by December, SUGGESTIONS????

moriahar

My cousin and I have both set goals to be APL by mid December in time for my brother's wedding. While she's been on the site for a while I'm still a newbie.

We are both shoulder legnth. I know I can do it but I need to hold on to ever milimeter of hair that I grow.

In themonth and a half that I've been reading this site I've grown about an inch of hair (yay!!!) I know that I need to lay off the heat, and protect my ends.

Does any one have any suggestions to help me?

Btw: I'm relaxed, 4a 15 weeks post.

That is a very ambitious goal. I see you are new so I'm wondering if you know hair generally grows about 1/2 a month. The average person will only gain about 2 1/2 inches from now (end of july) until then (december). You may need to give yourself more time for that goal?

What will help you to retain every inch that does grow from now until Dec would be to keep those hair/ends hydrated and protected.

You've grown an inch in just under 2 months, so you're probably the average .5 in the growth department. I'd say keeping the ends super hydrated, in protective styles, and a lot of deep conditioning to make sure you don't have any breakage at your line of demarcation will help. You may also want to look into growth aids if you're into that, there are a bunch of threads and a challenge currently going with them. If you do (esp. the MT), make sure your moisture level is really high. Good luck, can't wait to see progress pics!

ETA: By the way, how much length do you need to reach APL from where you are? People's height makes a difference as well.

like a few people have already mention, moisturize and SEAL YOUR ENDS...your hair may grow fast, it i alla bout retention.

I really think Wild Growth works for accelerated hair growth, but I don't know if that's "clinically proven." And protective style, protective style, protective style. I usually wear my hair in a pincurl bun, which has the dual purpose of preserving whatever style I have for as long as I need to have it (you can take it down and the curls will be as perfect as they were when you first styled) and keeping my ends out of harm's way. Also, I put my hair in either a high pony or now that it's APL in a high bun at night and sleep on a satin pillow case. The pillow case is really important for minimizing damage.

I also find that frequent washing is a big time accelerator, but depending on your hair, you may need to co-wash. I was always taught that if your shampoo was too drying to use every day, it was too drying period, but it's really hard to find the right shampoo that mixes well with your hair chemistry in such a short amount of time. I use Nioxin, and it has worked miracles on my hair, but if you have a co-wash regi already established, I say go with that, unless you are lovin' your shampoo. GL!

When you say shoulder length is it full SL or just scraping your shoulders. I ask that because a lot of ladies claim SL way too early and wonder why it took them so long to get to APL. And from your avi, if that's a current photo then I would say that you are NL so getting to APL might be an uphill battle for you. The ladies have given you very good ideas just don't get too bogged down in getting to APL, enjoy the journey.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but sometimes we have to face the truth. :ohwell:

I made it from SL to touching BSL by wearing sew ins and using MN in between the cornrows. Just make sure that the braids are not too tight. It took me 4 months to go from SL to touching APL, But I was full SL and I had to cut once I made APL because of narly looking ends.

Ok, ok, ok so I may be setting my goal too high. :wallbash: But I hoping that with growth aids, no heat and God's blessing :grin: i would make it.

:ohwell: Maybe I can make past full collar bone????? :ohwell:

Attachments

• back view.JPG
    back view.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00838.jpg
    IMG00838.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 33
I think your hair is longer than it looks in your avi. In your avi it looks neck length, but it looks to me like you are SL, and completely straight probably grazing CBL. I think if you are consistent, low manipulation, moisturized, sealed, and protected, you've got a shot. Hey, go for it!! We're all pretty ambitious here. Heck, I'm shooting for APL in December too, and that's going to require a full inch per month to do it!!!! :lachen: Do you girl!

If your hair is in healthy condition, get a good weave and wear it for 12 weeks. Make sure you take care of your hair underneath, and you should make APL or get really close. I've always been able to retain inches this way.

ETA: I was a little past SL in Sept. 07, and I made it about .5" short of APL by December.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, ok so I may be setting my goal too high. :wallbash: But I hoping that with growth aids, no heat and God's blessing :grin: i would make it.

:ohwell: Maybe I can make past full collar bone????? :ohwell:

Thanks for the pic, I was going by your avi :grin:. The ladies have given you good advice. Ediese mentioned weaves, they could help too :yep:. Your hair will certainly grow that's for sure and if you can retain every single bit, APL might just be a reality for you.

Keep us updated with your progress, ok?

* sigh of relief * Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions and guidance.
I'm seriously considering the sew-in as idea. (I've been eyeing this one style for the last 2 months.) My hair is in pretty good condition but my ends could use a trim. I'm gonna pull out my Split Ender the next time I wash my hair. And that will be it until December 12th( the big day is 12/19.)

I'll keep you posted.
Again, thank for the suggestions and encouragement. I'm gonna GROW AS LONG/MUCH AS I CAN from now to DECEMBER. The big day is 12/19.

Update:
I'm still getting my reggie down but I have been cowashing, doing more protective styles and keeping my hair off my shoulders.

I have 3 buns: one is a donut that use my natural hair with, one is a clip-on braided bun and the newest one is an afro puff.

I've noticed a little breakage but I did my first protein treatment today so I'm hoping that will nip that in the bud.

Although I can see that I have more length, APL by December is gonna be quite a stretch so I'm just shooting for the BEST, HEALTHIEST hair I can grow!

good to know you are still in it! i really agree with ediese...every time i hide my hair i retain everything i grow. lots of manipulation can really hinder your goals...trust me!

Update:
I'm still getting my reggie down but I have been cowashing, doing more protective styles and keeping my hair off my shoulders.

I have 3 buns: one is a donut that use my natural hair with, one is a clip-on braided bun and the newest one is an afro puff.

I've noticed a little breakage but I did my first protein treatment today so I'm hoping that will nip that in the bud.

Although I can see that I have more length, APL by December is gonna be quite a stretch so I'm just shooting for the BEST, HEALTHIEST hair I can grow!

Good for you! Glad to know you're doing what needs to be done for the health of your hair, and being realistic about your goals. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results. It sounds like you're paying attention to what your hair needs and adjusting your regime accordingly, something we all struggle with at times. Keep up the good work :yep:!

Back