HELP ME!!!!!!!!! please : ) ors lye rant

hiphoprocker

ok so im deciding to post this (my very first thread) under dire circumstances..

I have been using ors no lye for my touchups even before lhcf and never had problems.. but after reading all the threads and post praising ors lye, i decided to make the switch :nono: I knew there was a risk but it seemed the majority felt the lye formula was better and had no problems making the switch. I was not as fortunate..

so i bought my ors lye, i bought the neutralizer, i bought a base to protect my scalp, I bought the aphogee 2 min, i bought the replenishing packs. my hair was gorgeous!!!! it was soft, slightly under processed but thats was ok.. it was my first lye relaxer ever... i did the mid relaxer protein with the aphogee 2 min, neutralized at least 3-4 times and followed with the replenishing pack and another light conditioner (i think i did a sunsilk con) and then air dried about 70 % blow dried the rest.. used a thermal heat protectant and flat ironed with my digital ceramic iron.. i thought i'd covered all the bases but apparently not...

AS SOON as i co washed ( i usually keep my hair straight after a relaxer for a week or so, just cause i know it will be a while before i use heat again) my hair starts to shed.. and shed.. and break.. and shed some more..

so i do another protein treatment (the homemade kind) does nothing.. so i DC with relaxed and natural... this also does nothing.. after dc'ing it seems to have gotten worse..

i cant comb my hair:wallbash:
im scared of any manipulation:wallbash:
it comes out in my hands:wallbash:

i have fine hair , but a lot of it so its not that visible to somebody thats not in my hair like i am... im losing like 30-40 hairs everytime a wide tooth comb touches it... i know some of you healthy heads claim to lose maybe 2-3 hairs...

i dont blame anything but the lye, but could i be wrong?? it was recommended that i start using the whole ORS line including the fertilizing serum and the replenishing con... any suggestions??? please??!!

Sorry to hear you are experience breakage.

I have some questions:

1) What are you using to co-wash?
2) is the shedding excessive because shedding is normal so unless it is over and above the usual 50-100 hairs then it should not be a problem. The issue is the breakage.

Most of the products you used during relaxer process and after were protein conditioners. I don't see any moisturizing conditioner applied to your hair. You hair is probably suffering from protein overload which takes some time before shedding and breakage stops. I would suggest you do a moisturizing conditioner fast. I listed some of LHCF ladies all time favorites below.

Creme of Nature Conditioner

Nexxus Humectress

Kenra MC

Keracare Humecto

Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose

Elucence Moisturizing Conditioner

Sorry to hear you are experience breakage.

I have some questions:

1) What are you using to co-wash?
2) is the shedding excessive because shedding is normal so unless it is over and above the usual 50-100 hairs then it should not be a problem. The issue is the breakage.

i usually use one of the cheapies, suave coconut, suave vanilla.. this time i used HE long term relationship and im still not sure how i feel about that one..i think it is in excess.. shedding was never a problem for me before.. but the last time i cowashed i had clumps of hairs like 5-10 that werent tangled and seemed to be the whole length of my hair coming out..

Most of the products you used during relaxer process and after were protein conditioners. I don't see any moisturizing conditioner applied to your hair. You hair is probably suffering from protein overload which takes some time before shedding and breakage stops. I would suggest you do a moisturizing conditioner fast. I listed some of LHCF ladies all time favorites below.

Nexxus Humectress

Kenra MC

Keracare Humecto

i thought about that too and maybe that is the culprit.. i thought the "intesive mousturizing" relaxed and natural would give me the moisture i needed.. i really hope that moisture (or lack thereof) is the problem and not the relaxer because that will have long term effects.. i look at the nexxus everytime i shop but the price tag has deterred me so far :ohwell: but if thats what it takes i'd go to china and get it.
thanks!!

thanks you for responding ladies!! i have to go to work and the boss doesnt think to kind of my lhcf addiction but i will be back!!!!!!

i usually use one of the cheapies, suave coconut, suave vanilla.. this time i used HE long term relationship and im still not sure how i feel about that one..i think it is in excess.. shedding was never a problem for me before.. but the last time i cowashed i had clumps of hairs like 5-10 that werent tangled and seemed to be the whole length of my hair coming out..

I think you should maybe go easy on the co-washing. It might be too much manipulation for hair in a delicate state (just after a fresh relaxer).

Does your hair feel hair when dry? if so it could be because of too much protein.

Maybe you should DC with a good moisturizing DC.

You can also use garlic shampoo to help combat the shedding.

The ors lye may have aggravated your scalp some since it's not used to it, but your shedding isn't above average. If you have breakage worry about that.

You may also want to invest in some Porosity Control and DC'ing with a moisturizing condish and it sounds like your cuticle is raised (tangling) it will help smooth it down, make the conditioners more receptive .....when using lye relaxers the object is to put moisture back into your hair...

HTH

Thank you for all the responses ladies!!! i guess it's just a lot more shedding than i was accustomed to (compared to my no-lye relaxers) :ohwell: i have been wanting to try porosity control but wasnt sure if my porosity needed controlling!! maybe it is protein overload and i need to be more careful about the products i choose that may have "hidden" proteins in them.. it seems alot of them do..:drunk:

Nexxus Humectress

Kenra MC

Keracare Humecto

The ORS Replenishing has a lot of moisture though. I know some say there's some light protein but I use this as my moisturizing DC all the time w/ no issues. I always use it to follow up my Emergencee treatments and my Aphogee 2 minutes.

I would also add that you should wash ASAP using a neutralizing shampoo. If the relaxer wasn't completely rinsed out, that could also cause breakage. THEN follow with your conditioning regimen.

How long did you get co-wash after you relaxed your hair?

i try to wait at least a week but only to enjoy my straight flat ironed look.. i know that after that it will be a while before i put any more heat so i try to get my fill then lol.. and i also thought the replenishing pack contained moisture too.. i knew as well that it had some proteins but thought that would be an excellent post relaxer con..

do you think i should have waited longer? in my no lye days i my hair thrived with co washing but i must admit that by the time i even learned what co washing was i was at least 2-3 weeks post

I would also add that you should wash ASAP using a neutralizing shampoo. If the relaxer wasn't completely rinsed out, that could also cause breakage. THEN follow with your conditioning regimen.

yeah im gonna go get some more of the ors aloe chelating poo today.. i just didnt think that was the problem because i read here (forget which thread) that anything you put in after a relaxer will start to bring the ph levels down. i did a isoplus neutralizing poo at least 3 times as well as my beloved elasta qp poo for the moisture, AFTER i did the mid relaxer protein so i was for sure i got it all out!!! and i've dc'd and done a protein treatment since also.. So I pray thats not the problem, if so the relaxer remnants have been in for two weeks or so now..maybe some chelating and deep intensive moisturizing con will do the trick

this Lye is gonna make me go broke!!

You guys have been so helpful and i realllllly appreciate it!:urock:!! Dh looked at the thread with me yesterday and said, "all of them replied to you???" im like, "yeah, we got each others backs round here.. He dont know its threads that are like 20 pages long on here lol maybe longer :yep:

once he had his fill he told me, "ok go back to ur hair friends" lololol

but i guess i will be going to fork over some more $ to the bss and use you guys suggestions.. im really trying to avoid a big chop.. :perplexed but at least its stopped coming out in my hands.. its that dang comb now

How long did you leave the relaxer in when you did it?

Did you overlap at all?

Did you use a color coded neutralizer?

Last edited:
yeah i can admit there was some over lapping But, nowhere near as much as my pre-lhcf days..

So i used some of you guys suggestions and seem to have recovered:
I washed with ors aloe, and followed up with porosity control (a true life saver..thanks for the suggestion) and applied one replenishing pack, for just a few minutes.. then i dc'd with a mixture of suave humectants (cheap humectress) olive oil and a lil more porosity control (just because).. sat under the dryer for like an hour...

then i washed again with my beloved elasta qp.. that stuff is so moisturizing with no sulfates.. did a quick suave coconut rinse.. left some in and applied a lil more after i towel dried a bit..

Then applied my ors olive oil lotion, sealed with some EO and sat under the dryer for maybe 10 mins.. my hair seemed to dry quicker after porosity control..

so moisture or lack there of was definitely the culprit.. my hair was never hard.. was pretty soft imo, but it was very thirsty... never saw shedding and breakage like that at all in my Hhj.. i think due to the switch from no lye to lye, the lye dried out my hair more than the no lye did.. that, or i didnt moisturize as much as i should have being under the assumption lye left your hair MORE moistized than no lye..

thank you all for your suggestions and advice!!

Back