Help me figure out what my hair still needs, please.

franknbeans82

My hair is a lot thinner than it used to be. I started taking vitamins last December because I thought it might help my hair fill in more and grow a little faster. I think it may be fuller now at the top, and I think the problem is that it's just thinning out on the ends. Due to that, my stylist has started trimming it a little w/ each relaxer. I feel like I'll never reach BSL if she always has to trim off some of my progress, but maybe it's a necessary evil...idk.

Anyway, I go to the salon every other week for a wash/set. I stopped using any direct heat (blow dryers, flat irons, etc.) about a yr ago and only sit under the dryer now usually for 1.5hrs. I get my relaxer every 6-8 weeks. For several months now, my stylist has been telling me that my hair is unusually dry, which I suspect is the culprit for my thinning ends. She recently gave me a reconstructor. She also started me using Keracare Creme Hairdress as a daily moisturizer, but I didn't like it. I gave it a try for about 6mos, and during that time I combed out way more hair than I ever did before. Plus, I didn't like that mineral oil was the second ingredient in it. Prior to using that stuff, I used to use Kemi Oyl, which my stylist said wasn't light enough for my hair. After the Keracare stuff, I've tried a combination of Elasta QP Mango butter (moisture) and Lotion Motion #9 (sealing), another combination of Phyto 9 (moisture) and Ojon Daily Intensive Shine Treatment mixed w/ a little Lotion Motion #9 (sealing), and now I've started on a tub of Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. I keep trying different stuff b/c after about a month of each regimen, my stylist was still telling me that my hair was dry. I just cannot figure out what product will finally work to keep my hair moisturized, so I can retain my length and thickness...or maybe the problem is something else entirely.

Outside of that, I eat pretty healthy, workout fairly often, and the vitamins I take are: a prenatal, Hair/Skin/Nails, MSM, Silica, Flax Seed, and Vit C. The only things I'm not too good about are drinking a lot of water and wearing protective styles. I do wrap my hair nightly and sleep in a satin cap, though, and I don't use any hair accessories that would dry out/break off hair. I only manipulate my hair at night to wrap it, and in the morning to take it down.

Last edited:
maybe the wash and set everyweek is too much manipulation for your hair... what kind of comb does your stylist use while she is setting your hair?

Try stretching your relaxers to every 12 weeks if you can. I used to relax mine every 6 weeks and would NEVER dream of that anymore. Now I do it every 12 weeks and my hair is much much thicker and healthier now.

When you reach your hair goal you can up your relaxers them to every 10 weeks - that is what I plan to do anyway.

Rene Furterer has a line of products for dry and thinning hair. It is expensive, however, I use the entire line and it's worked wonders for me. I have fine, weak hair that is prone to breakage. Since I've started with RF, my hair has never looked and felt better. I've attached a pic of freshly washed hair after using the RF 4-step system:

Attachments

• Photo 48.jpg
    Photo 48.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 23
I would say stop the wrapping, that will thin hair out over time. Try pincurls or cross-wrap.

Rene Furterer has a line of products for dry and thinning hair. It is expensive, however, I use the entire line and it's worked wonders for me. I have fine, weak hair that is prone to breakage. Since I've started with RF, my hair has never looked and felt better. I've attached a pic of freshly washed hair after using the RF 4-step system:
thanks! where do you purchase them?

maybe the wash and set everyweek is too much manipulation for your hair... what kind of comb does your stylist use while she is setting your hair?
she was telling me this week that she uses something called a bone comb on my hair b/c she wants me to buy one and start using it at home, too. is that good or bad?

thanks! where do you purchase them?

You can purchase online at Beauty.com or Sephora.com. If you're close to a Sephora, I suggest going in and getting samples of their Karite line. Sephora is pretty generous about samples and you then can try them first to see how they work on your hair type. HTH

You can purchase online at Beauty.com or Sephora.com. If you're close to a Sephora, I suggest going in and getting samples of their Karite line. Sephora is pretty generous about samples and you then can try them first to see how they work on your hair type. HTH
thanks! looks like i'll be headed to sephora tomorrow on my lunch break, haha.

what's a cross-wrap?
It's when, at least this is how I do it, you take your hair, and instead of wrapping it in one section: You split it in the back into two sections, as if you were about to make one twist (like braids ya know), but in stead you cross the section and then flip it around your head, each, the opposite way, so that it is flat to your head, and then you put on your silk scarf. I do it all the time. Hope my explanation is good enough, as it's hard to explain but easy to do. Wish I could draw it. Basically divide hair into two sections then criss cross to opposite side, and then depending on how long hair is, wrap those sections flatly around following the contour of the head. Hope that helps.

I'm still trying to get my hair back on track, but one thing I know is that lack or water will make your hair dry. Try to drink at least 48 oz preferably 64oz a day. My ends have thinned out a lot too, and when I went to the salon, they told me that my hair was unusually dry too, and they said its because I dont drink enough water.

Plus if you are taking all those vits, you need water to get the full benefits of them.

I'm still trying to get my hair back on track, but one thing I know is that lack or water will make your hair dry. Try to drink at least 48 oz preferably 64oz a day. My ends have thinned out a lot too, and when I went to the salon, they told me that my hair was unusually dry too, and they said its because I dont drink enough water.

Plus if you are taking all those vits, you need water to get the full benefits of them.
Okay when I'm not using sabino as I seal I do this: I put pure conditioner (not leave in, the real deal) on my ends. Moisturizing conditioner. I really helps to keep them moist. You can then put on whatever else and seal with oil, but every day if you do this, you WILL notice a difference and won't have to trim (I haven't trimmed since Feb, and my ends are still fine, no splits. no search and destroys necessary as there isn't anything to cut off). After doing this I only have to cut if I want to even out my hair, as hair grows differently (speed) in different places, but not to get at splits. Hope it helps someone.

Okay when I'm not using sabino as I seal I do this: I put pure conditioner (not leave in, the real deal) on my ends. Moisturizing conditioner. I really helps to keep them moist. You can then put on whatever else and seal with oil, but every day if you do this, you WILL notice a difference and won't have to trim (I haven't trimmed since Feb, and my ends are still fine, no splits. no search and destroys necessary as there isn't anything to cut off). After doing this I only have to cut if I want to even out my hair, as hair grows differently (speed) in different places, but not to get at splits. Hope it helps someone.
what conditioner do you use to moisturize? would it be ok to do this on a daily basis eventhough i only get my wash/set every other week?

what conditioner do you use to moisturize? would it be ok to do this on a daily basis eventhough i only get my wash/set every other week?

Sorry I just saw this post. I use shescentit's avocado moisturizing conditioner. It's at shescentit.com It would be excellent to do this on a daily basis. That's what I did. Think of it like a moisturizer. A little will do ya. I always go an inch or so up from the ends.

OP, do you ever do your own hair? I noticed you said you get a wash/set every other week. Are you doing your hair on that off week? Because if your hair is as dry as mine, I can't go more than 7 days without washing it. Maybe you could try pre-pooing. Once a week I will do a hot oil treatment with extra virgin olive oil for 2 hours before I rinse it out and apply a leave-in. The lack of moisture and too much flatironing could be causing the set-backs. HTH!! Good luck!

Back