HELP! MASSIVE HAIR BREAKAGE!!!!!

Hair_Goddess

Hi Everyone. I tried curling my hair for the first time with that Gold & Hot gold barrel curling iron about 3 weeks ago and now my hair is sheading BAD. Here's what happened:

I applied Sabino Lock & Blok (L&B) as directed and even added extra L&B to each section of my hair (and brushed for even distribution) before I began to curl it. I noticed that the curl was not holding at all at 400 degrees so I turned the iron up to 450 degrees. The curl came out soft but was still going straight after about a few minutes.

So then I added a little more L&B to the section I was curling, then added this alcohol free gel by Fantasia IC on top to hold the curl and curled again (I figured that the gel would burn off and the L&B would still protect my hair). There was a point where I turned the curling iron up to 500 degrees but then I realized that my hair was curling too fast (and the curls were rather stiff) so I turned the curling iron back down to 450 degrees. The curls held for 3 weeks.

So I washed my hair out as usual this past Sunday and that's when I noticed that the gel was hard to get out and my hair became tangled in some areas. :look: There was some shedding after my wash and conditioning routine (the amount of hair loss was about the size of 2 half dollars but I didn't panic too much since I really haven't combed my hair in 3 weeks).

After applying L&B as usual and blow drying my hair, my hair was fine and there was very little breakage. I then curled my hair after blow drying and there was a little breakage but nothing to be too concerned about.

It rained here in NYC on Monday and so most of my hair started to revert. That's when I decided to straighten my hair again last night (Tuesday) using L&B and my Babyliss flat iron cranked up to 450 degrees. Well, a small area on the left side of my head shedded massively (like a handful came out)!!:nono:

Although I have thick hair, my hair is thinner now. I don't know what can be done at this point to make my hair thicker. But more importantly, what can I do to stop the shedding??!! How long will the shedding last? What should I expect at this point? What should I do??!! I do not plan to curl my hair with the curling iron for the next 2 to 3 weeks (at least). Hopefully that will work. . .:look:

450 - that's virtual hair suicide !!!

Back on topic..... step away from the curling irons and all heat sources NOW !

Get a hard Protein treatment and a super moisturising DC to follow and then what I suspect is a much needed trim.

I would then up my DC's to 2x a week using mild protein weekly until the breakage starts to improve and stay off the heat until then.

You might want to PS in the mean time like crazy and avoid any further unnecessary manipulation.

Also up your moisture and even invest in ceramide products.

For future use you might want to invest in some heat protectant, only use heat on clean hair and turn the Irons down to 350 or find alternative styling methods altogether such as wrapping and roller setting.

HTH's

Last edited:
Lock & Block? I'm unfamiliar with that product but it doesn't sound like a heat protectant. Silicone based products ( frizz serums) are better for your hair when styling with heat.

A protein based conditioner should do to begin repairing the damage. Frizz serums are also good for hiding damage by smoothing the hair cuticle and lessening the chance of breakage. What's been done is not going to go away overnight. There was an excessive amount of heat so give your hair treatments and give it time. The shedding will stop.

Sorry about the setback :(

I would def say that using the gel was a bad idea. Always when you want to flat iron, make sure its on freshly washed hair. Trust me the results will turn out alot better and you wont end up frying your hair in the process.
Also this is a lesson that your hair cant tolerate the high heat. Some people, very few can crank it up too 400 and be fine, but most cant. Alot of people can use 300 -350 and get bangin results. Do a search here to find out about flat ironing, its all in the technique, not so much how much heat you have.
I would say in general, if you want your hair to thrive, its important to lay off the heat. Not forever but definately limit it, especially the blow drying and flat ironing. The direct heat is the worst. Learn how to rollerset. Thats a much safer way to get your hair straight. Its hard at first, it was for me, but over time it becomes so much easier, especially when you see the results.
At this point the only way your gonna gain the thickness is to grow your hair out and and over time slowly trim the thin parts away that are damaged. Baby these areas so that no more breaks off,a dn you can hold on to them long enough to trim them. I would do some type of protein treatment to stop the breakage ( Aphogee 2 step, Nexxus Emergencee, or Aphogee 2 min). Good luck girl <3

I second positively radiant's advice. I've heard that as far as heat appliances go, the curlung iron is the worst. It sits on the oldest, weakest part of your hair with high levels of heat. You are going to see some breakage. You may want to do a trim. Baby your hair, start rollersetting and pin curling. You hair is going to need much longer than 3 weeks to recover from such high heat.

450 - that's virtual hair suicide !!!

Back on topic..... step away from the curling irons and all heat sources NOW !

Get a hard Protein treatment and a super moisturising DC to follow and then what I suspect is a much needed trim.

I would then up my DC's to 2x a week using mild protein weekly until the breakage starts to improve and stay off the heat until then.

You might want to PS in the mean time like crazy and avoid any further unnecessary manipulation.

Also up your moisture and even invest in ceramide products.

For future use you might want to invest in some heat protectant, only use heat on clean hair and turn the Irons down to 350 or find alternative styling methods altogether such as wrapping and roller setting.

HTH's

Lok & Blok is the heat protectant. It's a silicone heat protectant that protects the hair in high heat conditions like 450 degrees, even 500 degrees. You can read more about it here: www.sabinohair.com

I need to know the names of a good protein treatment. Do you think Nexxus Humectress would work as a good DC? And what's PS'ing and ceramicide products?

I agree w/ Sondice: Gel + heat is a NO-NO!!!

Also, I didn't know that there were styling appliances that went up to 500 degrees. That's definitely way too high.

In terms of treatment, I wholeheartedly agree w/ PositivelyRadiant's suggestion.

PS'ing=protective styling

I've included a few links that contain information about ceramides:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=268981
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=457530
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=462088
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=449482
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=442532

Everyone has already given you good advice, so i'll just say, sorry boo....sorry this happened, but at least you know you'll never have this happen again. We live and we learn....and then our hair grows in healthily :) Good luck and HHG

Sorry about the setback :(

I would def say that using the gel was a bad idea. Always when you want to flat iron, make sure its on freshly washed hair. Trust me the results will turn out alot better and you wont end up frying your hair in the process.
Also this is a lesson that your hair cant tolerate the high heat. Some people, very few can crank it up too 400 and be fine, but most cant. Alot of people can use 300 -350 and get bangin results. Do a search here to find out about flat ironing, its all in the technique, not so much how much heat you have.
I would say in general, if you want your hair to thrive, its important to lay off the heat. Not forever but definately limit it, especially the blow drying and flat ironing. The direct heat is the worst. Learn how to rollerset. Thats a much safer way to get your hair straight. Its hard at first, it was for me, but over time it becomes so much easier, especially when you see the results.
At this point the only way your gonna gain the thickness is to grow your hair out and and over time slowly trim the thin parts away that are damaged. Baby these areas so that no more breaks off,a dn you can hold on to them long enough to trim them. I would do some type of protein treatment to stop the breakage ( Aphogee 2 step, Nexxus Emergencee, or Aphogee 2 min). Good luck girl <3

Thank you so much! Yes I know now that using the gel and the curling iron was a very bad idea. Damn I regret that so much! :wallbash:

But I always use Nexxus Emergencee whenever I wash my hair, which is usually every 2 weeks. I even used it this past Sunday. Just imagine how much MORE breakage I would've had if I didn't use Emergencee?? I'm planning to use Emergencee every week now and swap out my Matrix Sleek Look Extra Conditioner with the Nexxus Humectress as my DC.

@Whimsy: I know, right!!?? But damn what a way to learn! My hair was doing fine before I decided to start curling it! I guess I can't cry over spilled milk but, damn, damn, DAMN!!!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your help!

Last edited:
Thanks DarlingDiva again for the links. I'm DEFINITELY adding a ceramicide to my reggie. I'm leaning towards Satinique Moisturzing Detangler and Hair Repair Mask to replace my Matrix Sleek Look Shampoo and Condish.

Back