HELP! (Long Story)

chevere62

I have been experiencing breakage recently and I am not sure why. I come to my hair sisters to ask for help :grin:. My signature picture is my last length check which was in the beginning of January to give you an idea of what my hair looks like. My final goal is either MBL or WSL. Hopefully I make one of those by the end of this year.

My regimen includes:

DC'ing once a week with a mixture of evoo, plain full fat yogurt, lekair cholesterol, lustrasilk cholesterol, honey, and ceramides (grapeseed oil or safflower oil). If I am not able to do this once a week due to my protective style I will do it as soon as it take the protective style out.

Henna once or twice a month. I also shampoo my hair once a month or every month and a half with either a mix of amla and shikakai powders or Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo depending on how much buildup I have.

Detangle my soaking wet hair covered in conditioner in the shower. I generally use Suave, John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine (got it on sale for 50 cents), or VO5 in order to cowash and detangle. To detangle I use my Denman D-4. I found that the wider rows are much easier on my natural 3c/4a hair.

After cowashing I add either Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight/Hello Hydration or Garnier Fructis Length and Strength. I put my hair into two braids or banded ponytails and pin it up over the next 24 hours to dry. After it dries I either get my hair put in cornrows, bun, or twist my hair. These styles will last between 1-2 weeks depending on upkeep. I sleep with a satin scarf every night but I have a satin pillow case for when I am too lazy. I protective style 80% of the time. I moisturize and seal every night or every other night with shea butter and either evoo or grapeseed oil. After one or two weeks I will DC, cowash, detangle, and start over.

Lately, if I plan to cornrow or twist I will lightly flat iron my hair in order to help stretch the hair. I only do this once or on rare occasions twice a month. I have a feeling this is making my ends smoother and I have not seen many SSK's since I began doing this. I fully flat iron my hair about every 3 or 4 months for length checks. Every time I use heat I use Chi Silk Infusion.

Though I am seeing breakage I am having a hard time trying to decide if it is normal breakage or not. Normal breakage (though many do not admit they experience it) signifying the hairs that you are bound to lose during styling and handling. I am going to fully straighten my hair next month to see if I have retained any length or if this breakage is actually an issue.

In the last 6 months or so I added ceramides, started the light flat ironing (I have a Hana Elite so it is not as damaging on the hair), and perhaps changed some conditioners around (started using Garnier Fructis instead of Herbal Essences and added the John Frieda as a cowash conditioner). I did not originally question the conditioners because they give me great slip. Could I be getting too much protein?

Essentially, can you ladies help me figure out why my hair is breaking?

If any additional information/pictures are needed just let me know!

is your hair very crunchy, straw like, or is mushy when wet? if it is straw like, clarify and do moisturizing dc treatments. if it is mushy, stretchy, then do a protein treatment.

How does your hair feel when it's dry? When it's wet? How long have you had the above regimen? Try to think back to when you started to add on product. You have alot going on in your DC regimen. Do you mix all of that together or is it just whatever you grab?

The two that stick out to me are the the yogurt and the henna. Try discontinuing one of the two and see how your hair feels then.

is your hair very crunchy, straw like, or is mushy when wet? if it is straw like, clarify and do moisturizing dc treatments. if it is mushy, stretchy, then do a protein treatment.

It feels soft when wet but I always see a few little c's on the wall of the shower from my broken off hairs.

How does your hair feel when it's dry? When it's wet? How long have you had the above regimen? Try to think back to when you started to add on product. You have alot going on in your DC regimen. Do you mix all of that together or is it just whatever you grab?

The two that stick out to me are the the yogurt and the henna. Try discontinuing one of the two and see how your hair feels then.

I have my hair in twist right now and it feels very soft. I have been using essentially all of these products for several years except the few products/techniques I mention near the end of the post (ceramides, flat ironing, changing out conditioners). Generally I just mix together whatever I grab or what I happen to have in my stash for the DC. Almost always for certain there is the yogurt, one of the conditioners, honey, and an oil (either evoo or a ceramide). I was wondering if I was getting too much protein. I know that naturals do not need as much protein in their hair and with both the yogurt and henna it might be too much. Perhaps I should get rid of the yogurt in the DC. I really like how strong and soft my hair feels afterward though. Or should I just combine the yogurt and henna together for a protein treatment and leave all of the other ingredients in the DC?

Last edited:
how does it feel when it's dry? i just think you need to clarify and do a moisturizing dc.

Well I actually had this same thought myself. I wondered if my hair was just lacking moisture so I did an overnight DC with Mizani Moisturefuze conditioner mixed with the lustrasilk cholesterol, a ceramide, evoo, and honey. My hair was verry soft in the morning when I rinsed. Although this made my hair soft, I was still noticing broken hairs while twisting my hair last night.

Well it sounds like your hair is retaining moisture well, so not a moisture or porosity issue. How does your hair feel after you Henna? That's the product I would have suspected. But if it feels great after a Henna treatment - then maybe you need protein.

Also, too much tension in your protective styles? Have you checked for split ends?

You say you moisturize nightly. Do you have to pull apart your hair to do so? Does it lock or matt up?

Well it sounds like your hair is retaining moisture well, so not a moisture or porosity issue. How does your hair feel after you Henna? That's the product I would have suspected. But if it feels great after a Henna treatment - then maybe you need protein.

Also, too much tension in your protective styles? Have you checked for split ends?

You say you moisturize nightly. Do you have to pull apart your hair to do so? Does it lock or matt up?

After the henna my hair is usually pretty dry but I always immediately follow with a very moisturizing deep condition (mizini moisturefuze, lustrasilk, honey, oil) and my hair feels very smooth. Any hairstyle I try after that will be very sleek and shiny.

If I am in need of protein, can I just mix yogurt, an egg, and maybe a little avocado to make an intense protein treatment?

My hair never locks or anything. Since my hair is usually stretched I just spread moisture all over the ends before bed. Maybe there is a tension issue in my protective styles such as the cornrows. I have not checked for splits. My last trim was in November by a stylist.

In order to check my hair situation, I straightened the nape of my hair. The picture is in my siggy. I compared it to my last length check slightly less than two months ago and it appears that I have retained some length. I checked my ends and they were split free with just a few SSK's. During the process my hair continued to break. This week I am going to clarify my hair (alma and shikakai), do an intense protein treatment (henna, yogurt, egg, avocado, aloe), then follow up with an intense moisturizing DC (lustrasilk cholesterol, honey, evoo). Hopefully the breakage stops after all of this.

Btw, anything else I can add to my moisturizing DC that would make it more moisturizing?

Last edited:
how bad is the breakage? is just a few or several hairs? is it all over your shirt, shoulders? does it break when you are styling or breaks to the touch? we all deal with breakage.

how bad is the breakage? is just a few or several hairs? is it all over your shirt, shoulders? does it break when you are styling or breaks to the touch? we all deal with breakage.

I am not sure if this breakage is normal or not. There is a possibility that it is. After I straightened the hair, if I pulled on the ends they would break off. Even if I ran my finger through that section of hair there would be broken pieces falling off. It only breaks during handling and never breaks at random. Not enough little hairs to actually cover my shirt but enough to notice falling on the sink.

I thought cholesterol was a protein?

No it actually isn't. I hope she does not mind if I quote her:

Cholesterol is NOT a protein. It's a lipid, a fat. When the doctor says you have too much cholesterol in your blood and it's clogging your arteries, he doesn't mean you have a build up of protein. That is some weird old wives tale that I keep seeing on the hair board... it's strange that it's so widespread in such a knowledgable place.

It is true that most cholesterols have some sort of light protein (silk, wheat, etc...) in the formula, but that's true of many conditioners. Once again, cholesterol is not a protein :)

Some may be classified as protein conditioners, but none of the ones I've seen (Lustrasilk, Hollywood Beauty, Queen Helene, Lekair) I would say had enough protein in it or hard enough protein to be classified as a protein treatment.

Have you tried doing what Suergirl said in this thread. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610&highlight=hair+breakage
Sorry I cant be of any help. Also Sistaslick has a thread called breakage 101.

Thanks for linking that article. I had not read it before and helps solidify what I need to do. Based on that, I will continue with my plan that I stated above, clarify, protein, moisture, and report back. If that does not solve the issue, I will buy the product that Supergirl mentions in her post. I am really trying to kick this breakage now so that I can have at least a shot at making MBL within the next few months.

Back