Help! Lawd, Somebody ANYbody!

StrongNGlossy

I just took down my braids, and despite all the co-washes and daily spritzing I did my hair is as dry and crunchy as TOAST. I took them down yesterday, clarified, and left my condish-mix on overnight. After I rinsed in the shower, I felt the ends starting to get crunchy. And now, its just DRY. AND TANGLED. I am ready to cry...And cut this mess off. Any ideas???:cry2:

UPDATE: So, after my post, I rinsed my crunchy hair, and put practically half of my 32 oz. of Humectress in, and left it alone. I was to depressed to move forward in any direction. I was on the net off and on until 8 this morning. I was googling moisture, and I found something by Aveda called Dry Remedy...I had nothing to lose....EXCEPT $80

I'm not calling it a miracle. But I will say this, in 2 years of being natural, I have not been able to comb through my hair as quickly as I was able to with this product. Thanks to everybody for their help. I have found my new love.

Last edited:
Sorry about your frustrations. What did you use in conditioner mix? What were you moisturizing your braids with while you had them in? What type of braids did you have (cornrows, micros)? Did you use synthetic hair?

Sorry about your frustrations. What did you use in conditioner mix? What were you moisturizing your braids with while you had them in? What type of braids did you have (cornrows, micros)? Did you use synthetic hair?

Also what did you clarify with? Do you use any oil, if so what kind?

Tell us the whole story :)

YEs...need more info...but don't get too frustrated. Hair is very resilient.
It will bounce back. What conditioners are you using? did you use any olive oil or coconut oil?

I know the ORS Replenishing pack for 45 minutes with a shower cap under a hooded dryer usually helps my hair.

Don't be sad. You can get the moisture back. :grin:

My mix: water, Humectress, virgin coconut-oil

I had senegalese twists with human hair.

Why don't you try a deep conditioning treatment for 30 minutes. I'm telling you, I never realized how much I owe my hair's health to deep conditioning. Make sure to add EVOO. Cowashes do nothing for me but cause me to lose hair and makes my hair feel even drier because I'm stripping it of its natural oils

Are you natural or relaxed? That may also dictate the kind of advice appropriate for you.

I would do a series of deep conditioning treatments. I'm sorry to say but in my experience, I've never, ever come out of braids and had it feel moisturized. Despite my best efforts the hair the extensions absorbed more good stuff than my actual hair did. :nono:

I just took down my braids, and despite all the co-washes and daily spritzing I did my hair is as dry and crunchy as TOAST. I took them down yesterday, clarified, and left my condish-mix on overnight. After I rinsed in the shower, I felt the ends starting to get crunchy. And now, its just DRY. AND TANGLED. I am ready to cry...And cut this mess off. Any ideas???:cry2:

Next time use s-curl activator to spray in your braids instead of braid spray. It saved my hair. I had my hair braided and it came out very dry plus I think that synthetic hair ate away some of my hair shaft.:wallbash:

Next time use s-curl activator to spray in your braids instead of braid spray. It saved my hair. I had my hair braided and it came out very dry plus I think that synthetic hair ate away some of my hair shaft.:wallbash:

Hi Hurricane, you used some s-curl in your braids and you had no problems? I think I will try that.

Why don't you try a deep conditioning treatment for 30 minutes. I'm telling you, I never realized how much I owe my hair's health to deep conditioning. Make sure to add EVOO. Cowashes do nothing for me but cause me to lose hair and makes my hair feel even drier because I'm stripping it of its natural oils

Deep conditioning with heat has helped my hair's dryness tremendously:yep:

I hope that you are feeling better about your hair. The next time that you do your hair, maybe you can try combing it and conditioning it in sections, to prevent tangles. Don't worry! You and your hair will bounce back from this.

I have been DC-ing for two days. Its not working at all.

Are you natural or relaxed? That may also dictate the kind of advice appropriate for you.

I would do a series of deep conditioning treatments. I'm sorry to say but in my experience, I've never, ever come out of braids and had it feel moisturized. Despite my best efforts the hair the extensions absorbed more good stuff than my actual hair did. :nono:

Did you lose a lot of hair as well? What did you do to combat the dryness, and how long did it take until your hair felt normal again?

I hope that you are feeling better about your hair. The next time that you do your hair, maybe you can try combing it and conditioning it in sections, to prevent tangles. Don't worry! You and your hair will bounce back from this.

You know. That's what was so frustrating. I spent four hours yesterday detangling my hair (dripping wet with a ton of slip), and then I rinsed and put on my mix, and baggied overnight. When I touched it through the baggy this morning it felt like hard cereal in mushy milk. :nono:

You know. That's what was so frustrating. I spent four hours yesterday detangling my hair (dripping wet with a ton of slip), and then I rinsed and put on my mix, and baggied overnight. When I touched it through the baggy this morning it felt like hard cereal in mushy milk. :nono:

have you done any natural oil treatments left in overnight?

i feel reeeeeeeely bad for you. i cornrow my hair all the time. i never clarify after a take down. i also spritz my hair with diluted conditioner every other day for moisture. some ppl use braid spray like African Pride to keep their hair moisturized while in braids/cornrows.

i'd lay off protein and clarifying/chelating products and only do conditioners and TLC.

DRYNESS: IMO, clarifying the first wash after taking down braids/twists is not advised because will contribute to dryness. But since it already done, this should be easily "fixed" as already suggested, by focusing on MOISTURIZING deep condishes for next several washes -- maybe even skip 'pooing and just do moisturzing co-washes . . .

TANGLES: Well, this one just requires time and patience because to detangle without losing a lot of hair means doing small sections at a time. Did you detangle before washing? I found when I take down braids, it is extremely advisable to take time and comb out and detangle my entire hair BEFORE washing cuz if I don't, the water causes my hair to dread up into knots and that's a bigger nightmare than detangling before getting wet.

Soooo, take time and detantle in sections, then take time and do series of moisturizing deep condishes -- I recommend co-washes, no poo for a while . . . :yep:

i feel reeeeeeeely bad for you. i cornrow my hair all the time. i never clarify after a take down. i also spritz my hair with diluted conditioner every other day for moisture. some ppl use braid spray like African Pride to keep their hair moisturized while in braids/cornrows.

i'd lay off protein and clarifying/chelating products and only do conditioners and TLC.
I agree, clarifying after a take down of braids will cause more drying. Just continue to deep condition with heat as it may take several times. You can also try SamanthaJones67's steam treatment to add moisture.
((((((hugs)))))))
HTH

Back