HELP! Im thinking of Relaxing/Texlaxing

peachykeen

I have been transitioning since June of 2009 and I am now fully natural:grin:. But, right now I am so sick of my hair I dont know what to do:look:. And, I might be the only one but trying to find prodcuts for moisture/protien balance has been a challenge. Also, trying to find styles with my hair "In layers" as someone in another thread pointed out, I am just getting tired. I see so many long texlaxed healthy heads of hair. Can someone please help me with the facts about texlaxing. I am really thinking of going that way and think that might be easier.

Do you not know what to do or do you want to texlax?

If your goal is to stay natural, I'd suggest putting your hair away in braids or a weave or even cornbraiding your own hair, and while it's "away" looking into styles, products, techniques etc that'll work with your hair in layers and fully natural
If putting your hair 'away' isn't an option for you, I'd suggest you go to a nice simple routine of washing, moisturizing, sealing and twisting, wearing twistouts works with any hair length, and is cyute! Plus you can try out diff moisturizers this way or just stick with one that is decent enough for right now till you're over your hair frustration hump.

If you're just not ready to commit to being 100% natural and want to texlax, I don't know what facts you're looking for, but, I was texlaxed since 11 years old and it worked well for me. I wore mostly wash n gos and straightened probably monthly. It's just like a relaxer except your hair isn't bone straight. My stylist just put the relaxer on with his fingers, no combing or pulling or rubbing, and then once my whole head was covered, he'd rinse it after like 2 minutes. The result was wavy hair, looser than my curl pattern, thinner than my natural texture as well.

HTH

Good luck with your decision. I truly hope you try to work things out with your natural hair. Give it a chance.

If your goal is to stay natural, you can try getting a Keratin Treatment.
It makes your hair more manageable, less frizzy and stronger without chemically altering your curl pattern. I have the formaldehyde-free Global Keratin Treatment....and I love it!

My hair still has its natural curl pattern (the curls are slightly looser), it's much easier to comb through, and if i straighten it, it doesn't frizz up.
It's good for women who want to keep thier hair natural, but want manageable hair too.

One thing about being natural is that its not going to always be easy....it isn't always going to be what you want it to be....if moisture/protein balance is your problem then try to figure out what works best for you.....I wish you luck in your decision......

Thank you all so much!
WHIMSY: I am going right over to your youtube, when I get home. I am seriously thinking putting it 'away'. My hair is a beast now that it is getting warmer.
lilli: Thanks for the tip about Kertain if I stay natural, Im trying to fight relaxer
Nuben: You can say that again, natural is not alway easy. It can be a bear. Especially if you DIY.

Thank you all so much!
WHIMSY: I am going right over to your youtube, when I get home. I am seriously thinking putting it 'away'. My hair is a beast now that it is getting warmer.
lilli: Thanks for the tip about Kertain if I stay natural, Im trying to fight relaxer
Nuben: You can say that again, natural is not alway easy. It can be a bear. Especially if you DIY.

YAY I hope you do put it away and just research and get to know natural hair a bit more, so when you take it down you're ready to handle her with love and care.

BKT, I forgot about that option. I don't know much about it, but that sounds like a great option for you. You wont have to permanently alter your curl pattern, but you'll get the results of a texlax.....or at least that's what it seems to be from what I've read/seen on these boards and on youtube.

Good luck again. I am glad you're going to give natural hair a shot. Put it away and chill for the summer.

I say think about it first. I am texlaxed, but I thought about if for six months before I did it. I love my texlaxed hair because it is easy and I like my hair still having some curls, kinks, and waves in it and not being bone straight relaxed. So just make sure you will be happy with the decision.

I agree with brucebettye and you see she has an amazing head of texlaxed hair.

I leave my relaxer on for no more than eight minutes just to loosen the curl. People think I'm natural all the time. I get to enjoy my kinks and curls and it's easier to deal with IMO.

You can see the difference in my siggy.

Take time to think about it. Why did you transition in the first place? If you had no issues with relaxers that may be a good option. If you transitioned because your hair couldn't handle relaxers I would put it away until you feel like dealing with it again.

I would weigh my options first- you have already made it this far..

I have read that after the 3rd year of being natural you'll be glad you did not cave back into relaxers

Back