HELP!!!! Im Shedding!!!!

Cholet112

Hey Ladies,

I am 8 weeks post and my hair is shedding like crazy. The other day I washed my hair and the amount of hair in the sink was ridiculous. And yes, i handled my hair VERY gently, treating it like imported silk but I still managed to have an extreme amount of shedding. Ususally I only stretch my relaxer every 6-7 weeks because of the shedding. What do you all do when you are stretching 12-14 weeks to keep the hair healthy and breakage free?

I usually wash with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo and do a deep conditioning steam treatment with KeraCare Moisturizing shampoo. I use KeraCare leave in and Silken seal then I comb gently starting at the roots. I will either rollerset or do a braid out.

Stretching is not for everyone, I only stretch 8-10 weeks because the shedding/breakage is not worth it to me.

If it's only shedding (long hairs), that seasonal for some, but breakage (short hairs) is not good. You have to find something that works for you, and you may have stretched to long.

Cholet112 said:
I usually wash with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo and do a deep conditioning steam treatment with KeraCare Moisturizing shampoo. I use KeraCare leave in and Silken seal then I comb gently starting at the roots. I will either rollerset or do a braid out.

Whoa! You should not be combing your hair from the roots. Always start from the tips and work your way up. You'll lose a lot of hair starting from the roots. Also you should avoid combing your roots at all when you are doing a stretch. Your hair is very fragile when its wet and even more fragile when you have line separating relaxed hair and new growth....its very easy to have breakage at that line. I don't know how long you've been stretching but you should probably only stretch for 7 weeks for a while and then as your hair strengthens bump it up to 8 weeks and so forth. Never try to do too much too soon..you could do more harm than good...I know from experience. lol

Cayenne0622 said:
Whoa! You should not be combing your hair from the roots. Always start from the tips and work your way up. You'll lose a lot of hair starting from the roots. Also you should avoid combing your roots at all when you are doing a stretch. Your hair is very fragile when its wet and even more fragile when you have line separating relaxed hair and new growth....its very easy to have breakage at that line. I don't know how long you've been stretching but you should probably only stretch for 7 weeks for a while and then as your hair strengthens bump it up to 8 weeks and so forth. Never try to do too much too soon..you could do more harm than good...I know from experience. lol

MY BAD!!!!!!:D I meant starting from the tip and moving up. Shoot, I know better than to comb from the roots!!!!!!! I have stretched 10 before, and because my hair is so thick my stylist was like NEVER do that again! So it kind of contradicts what the boards say about stretching. I guess everyone cant stretch 12 & above (without braids) still have healthy hair and Im one of them. ******sigh*******:(

Yeah, unfortunately not everyone can strech. I stretched for 10 wks last time and I lost a LOT of hair. I was going to try it again and this time try to do CO washes but I'm into my 7th wk now and I'm shedding so bad that I think I'll relax this weekend. :(

chocolatesis said:
Yeah, unfortunately not everyone can strech. I stretched for 10 wks last time and I lost a LOT of hair. I was going to try it again and this time try to do CO washes but I'm into my 7th wk now and I'm shedding so bad that I think I'll relax this weekend. :(

I cant tell you how disappointed I am. :cry2: I will try detangling in the shower on Wednesday and if I still have a lot of shedding I will just have to relax every 8 weeks. I only comb my hair on wash days (2x per week).

Cholet112 said:
I cant tell you how disappointed I am. :cry2: I will try detangling in the shower on Wednesday and if I still have a lot of shedding I will just have to relax every 8 weeks. I only comb my hair on wash days (2x per week).

I know--me too:cry:

I loved the dramatic results (with length) I got when I stretched. Oh well, I'll still get the length. The results just won't be as dramatic when I relax. :ohwell:

Although, someone on the board mentioned something about hair grease decreasing her shedding. I might try that, at least on the new growth and the demarcation line.

I just wish I knew what "normal" shedding looked like. I know everyone says like 100 strands a day, but what does that look like when you only comb your hair 2x's per week? Man, this hair thing is crazy!!! When you try to do right thats when all this stuff starts to happen that never happened before. Its a little disheartening.

OK, I'm a bit confused. Are you having excessive shedding (long hairs, with tiny white bulb at one tip), or breakage (smaller pieces of hair, no root bulb)? There's a difference.

I think we normally shed ~50 hairs per day. Shed hair typically comes out during combing. And you mentioned that you only comb 2x/week, so multiply that shedding by a couple of days, and it will look like a lot of hair.

Last edited:
Is a little breakage ok. I know I ask this question a million times but I still do get a little breakage when I comb not alot in my sink or on my shirt or anything just when I comb I may see under 10 broken hairs:confused:

I'm not sure what "normal" shedding is like either, but I know that I'm not used to losing "clumps" of hair at a time. When I was washing my hair on Sat. I would look down at my ends because I felt hair hanging lower than the rest of my hair. I gently pulled it away and sooo much hair came away. I thought I was going to be bald by the time I finished washing my hair. :eek: So I know that's not normal.

But as far as normal shedding, I just go by what "seems" normal to me. And remember, if you don't comb your hair everyday (I don't either), then you're going to shed more hair when you do comb (or wash). If you combed your hair everyday then you would lose a little everytime you combed your hair. But when you only comb on wash days then a lot of the hair that your scalp has been shedding during the days you didn't comb will come out all at one time (I hope this makes sense). IMO, stretching causes increased shedding, and not combing everyday makes it seem a lot worse than it is. I try to remember this and not freak out--but it's hard sometimes when you see so much hair coming out.

preciousjewel76 said:
OK, I'm a bit confused. Are you having excessive shedding (long hairs, with tiny white bulb at one tip), or breakage (smaller pieces of hair, no root bulb)? There's a difference.

I think we normally shed ~50 hairs per day. Shed hair typically comes out during combing. And you mentioned that you only comb 2x/week, so multiply that shedding by a couple of days, and it will look like a lot of hair.

I believe its shedding. Doing the protein treatments and the baggy method have stopped my breakage. But I am getting ALOT of shedding. I will take a picture and post it wednesday and you all can judge if its extreme or normal shedding. Its hard to tell if its shedding because the hair is wet.

chocolatesis said:
I'm not sure what "normal" shedding is like either, but I know that I'm not used to losing "clumps" of hair at a time. When I was washing my hair on Sat. I would look down at my ends because I felt hair hanging lower than the rest of my hair. I gently pulled it away and sooo much hair came away. I thought I was going to be bald by the time I finished washing my hair. :eek: So I know that's not normal.

But as far as normal shedding, I just go by what "seems" normal to me. And remember, if you don't comb your hair everyday (I don't either), then you're going to shed more hair when you do comb (or wash). If you combed your hair everyday then you would lose a little everytime you combed your hair. But when you only comb on wash days then a lot of the hair that your scalp has been shedding during the days you didn't comb will come out all at one time (I hope this makes sense). IMO, stretching causes increased shedding, and not combing everyday makes it seem a lot worse than it is. I try to remember this and not freak out--but it's hard sometimes when you see so much hair coming out.

Girl you speaking truth on that note!!!

Cholet112 said:
I believe its shedding. Doing the protein treatments and the baggy method have stopped my breakage. But I am getting ALOT of shedding. I will take a picture and post it wednesday and you all can judge if its extreme or normal shedding. Its hard to tell if its shedding because the hair is wet.

You should still be able to tell if a white bulb is at the end of the strand even though the hair is wet ( at least I can). Like Preciousjewel said; long hair with white bulb is shedding. Short hair strands are breakage.
HTH!

I said this before and I'll say it again. I still don't understand the connection between shedding hair (from the root) and needing a relaxer. I understand breakage from the demarcation line - makes sense. But shedding??? Why would your hair bulb break loose from the root and fall out because you haven't applied a chemical to your new growth??? I still don't get that connection. And no one has been able to explain it. Whatever it is...its scary and frustrating. I'm going to stick to my 8 week stretches until my hair tells me I can do more. Good luck ladies!

Cayenne0622 said:
I said this before and I'll say it again. I still don't understand the connection between shedding hair (from the root) and needing a relaxer. I understand breakage from the demarcation line - makes sense. But shedding??? Why would your hair bulb break loose from the root and fall out because you haven't applied a chemical to your new growth??? I still don't get that connection. And no one has been able to explain it. Whatever it is...its scary and frustrating. I'm going to stick to my 8 week stretches until my hair tells me I can do more. Good luck ladies!

I think it's just that people use the terms "shedding" and "breakage" interchangably (and, unfortunately, incorrectly). You're right; I don't see how stretching a relaxer would increase "shedding", but it could definitely increase breakage.

I was having shedding also

I wash once with cold apple cider vinagr even regular vinager. And i no longer have the shedding. Also there is a hair drops called LUNA that helps also the dominicans carry it

preciousjewel76 said:
I think it's just that people use the terms "shedding" and "breakage" interchangably (and, unfortunately, incorrectly). You're right; I don't see how stretching a relaxer would increase "shedding", but it could definitely increase breakage.

I like your avatar pic. Your hair looks nice and healthy!:grin:

brownbrown said:
I was having shedding also

I wash once with cold apple cider vinagr even regular vinager. And i no longer have the shedding. Also there is a hair drops called LUNA that helps also the dominicans carry it

I heard that the ACV can sometimes cause breakage. So Im very skeptical of that.

Cayenne0622 said:

I agree, that sounds like two different things to me (breakage due to not getting a relaxer and shedding). I don't understand how your hair can be shedding because it's time for a relaxer. I asked my stylist and she said "we" break at the place the relaxer meets the new growth. Maybe those who think it's shedding have long hair and it's just breakage mixed with normal shedding. And for the others it's not natural to shed globs of hair, there's an underlying cause.:ohwell:

Cayenne0622 said:
I like your avatar pic. Your hair looks nice and healthy!:grin:

Hooo lawdy, girl, I doubt it was very healthy in that pic! That's from sometime this spring, back when I was using heat almost daily. My hair was always nice and shiny (I love oils), but I had almost constant breakage. Now that I know more about how to care for it, I think it looks even better. I can't wait to see how it grows out!

BTW, I like your bob cut in your avatar too! It looks like our hair is about the same length. Damn these layers, though. :p

Back