Help! I'm New.

Nali1987

Hey everyone! I'm so happy I found this forum. You guys have gorgeous hair. I live in Amsterdam so excuse any grammar errors. SO THE REASON FOR MY POST: I know next to nothing about caring for my hair. Monday I'm going on a hair-shopping spree and I'd love for you guys to recommend some of the best products I need for my hair. I'm going natural!

I'm a 4AB. The front and the crown are the driest. My hair grows at normal speed. About 2CM/6 weeks but it breaks off something horrible. I have a lot of hair but it's thin. From what I've read on here I need a good moisturizer. Could someone recommend one?

I've deepconditioned with Fekkai Protein Treatment a couple of weeks ago and it left my hair dry and hard. Does anyone know about some deepconditioning products without protein?

Thank you. :yawn:

well I just want to say welcome and that I think u will find all the info you need on this site. The women are so knowledgeable and helpful. I've never transitioned so I cant offer any advice so again I just want to say hello and welcome

Thank you Miss Stress. I'm so excited to start my natural hair journey. I keep playing with my curls, like a little kid!

:hiya3:

and

:welcome3: to the board Nali...

I don't use protein DC's, however, I'm pretty sure you are suppose to use a moisturizing DC after to make sure the hair is good and moisturized. Good Luck on your natural hair journey. I'm sure some of the natural ladies will chime in and give you some great advice.

Yay, a Dutch LHCFer! :grin:
Welcome to the forum!
I live in Rotterdam so yeah, I really get how hard it can be to get your hands on the right products.
Etos has been selling ORS products, though, how about trying ORS Replenishing Conditioner? That's only a light protein and is a nice DC.

I usually order in DC's and moisturizers.

First of all, :welcome:.
Secondly, I would suggest that you peruse through the transitioners thread for some of the answers to your questions. The ladies there are very helpful and supportive.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419744

When I transitioned I used Aphogee products.

I tell all I used here in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmE8c4H2rqk
You don't have to use these exact products but at least have a simple hair plan that includes the basics.

As far as the dry hair and breakage, you may be over doing on the protein. I'd suggest some DC every wash day and lay off the protein for a while until your moisture is under control.
I'm sure others will chime in, but this will at least get you started. HTH

Grand Prix. AWESOME, another dutch girl. Yes, it's very hard. Maybe you can help me with something. You know what I've been looking for a silk scarf. I've tried looking in HEMA, H&M and a couple of different stores but their scarves are made of polyester.

I buy most of my oils from De Tuinen and I've found a site called sistas curl collection in the Netherlands that sells Jamaican Black castor oil. I thought I'd mention it since you order your products. Buying from then could save you some euros! :)

Last edited:
First of all, :welcome:.
Secondly, I would suggest that you peruse through the transitioners thread for some of the answers to your questions. The ladies there are very helpful and supportive.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419744

When I transitioned I used Aphogee products.

I tell all I used here in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmE8c4H2rqk
You don't have to use these exact products but at least have a simple hair plan that includes the basics.

As far as the dry hair and breakage, you may be over doing on the protein. I'd suggest some DC every wash day and lay off the protein for a while until your moisture is under control.
I'm sure others will chime in, but this will at least get you started. HTH

Thank you! I actually watched your video yesterday on YouTube and I was tempted to go buy some hair scissors and chip away. I only have about an inch of NG now so I've decided against it, lol.

Welcome to the forum!! :)

The products that I've used for awhile and really like include:
- Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe shampoo
- Dove Intense Moisture conditioner (my favorite - very moisturizing)
- Aussie Moist conditioner (I use as a pre-shampoo treatment)
- Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave-in

You don't need to buy everything I use. These are just the products that I consistently use in my routine, and that have worked well for me.

Grand Prix. AWESOME, another dutch girl. Yes, it's very hard. Maybe you can help me with something. You know what I've been looking for a silk scarf. I've tried looking in HEMA, H&M and a couple of different stores but their scarves are made of polyester.

I buy most of my oils from De Tuinen and I've found a site called sistas curl collection in the Netherlands that sells Jamaican Black castor oil. I thought I'd mention it since you order your products. Buying from then could save you same euros! :)

So do I! I was especially happy to find coconut oil there. Haven't tried sisats curl collection yet, thanks for the tip! :grin:

As for the silk scarves, forget about it. :nono:
You can find a few satin scarves in the usual black hair stores, but those dried my hair out anyway..
I got my silk (much better than satin) scarf from http://www.prettywrap.com/. The prices are right and they send it in an envelope, so the shipping is low too.
My hair has been a lot less dry since using them.

Back