Help im having a bad hair day eveyday

Love718

Ive been natural 2 yrs and trying to stick it out but my hair is being difficult. Im 4b i try wearing box braids but my roots look bushy in no time... Tried wigs and noticed my hairline was thinning.. Twistouts only last a day.. 2 strand twist and the root of my hair start to lock in a week.... I have tried so many products but detangling/ shampoo/ cowash days are a nightmare on those days i always cry from the pain

Im currently sitting here with a cheapie conditioner in my hair not looking forward to washing it out

I want to attempt to flat iron it again last 2 times i tried my hair laughed at me and was poofy again..

Are there any tips to flat iron my hair.. Products... Styles anything to help me out.. I go outside and i feel so self concious bc i know my hair is looking a hot mess i even find myself avoiding ppl

* sorry for the errors im on my ipod and sorry for the long post

i'm sorry you're going through this *hugs*

it sounds like you're in that awkward inbetween stage

have you tried
-half wigs? i'm not a terribly huge fan but they might be easier on the hair line
-beanies? these are so cute especially in cold weather
-turbans? i've seen some really neat videos on YouTube with ladies doing this
-curlformers? not sure this will work for you since twist outs only last a day
-redoing just your edges? if your roots look bushy really quick, it might mean your hair is growing fast (good problem to have). you should try redoing just your perimeter and wearing your twists or braids in a bun

What products do you use when styling your hair? Do you have pics? Your hair may actually look fine to others, sometimes we can be extra hard on ourselves.

I have been natural for about 2 1/2 years and I have a head full of 4a/4b hair, by no means what some call "good hair", but I love my hair, and I get compliments on it everyday. It is simply a matter of finding the right techniques and products that work for you. I wear my hair in a twist out and I only wash/ retwist every 2 weeks or so. I change my hairstyles as my hair changes. First week or so, I'll just wear it down and out and week two I'll start wearing puffs, or buns and playing around with other styles as my hair becomes more puffy and less defined.

The trick for me is keeping my hair in a stretched state, which is why I always use a twistout as the foundation for any style I try. Whenever I wear wash n gos, my hair tangles so I don't even try that anymore.

So sorry! If you want to str8en I would try sabino moisture block and Paul Mitchell super skinny serum. They may help with the reversion and do you blow dry before flat ironing? are you using the tension method with the blow dryer? That may help

Eta: there's also different threads and challenges you can join like the roller setting challenge or str8 hair for naturals thread, etc.

Last edited:
@Love718 - You betta' read your avatar! :grin:

First, you need to be sure your hair is moisturized. Dry hair ain't gonna want to do a dayum thing! So what are your products?

Not sure if you're a frequent cowasher - but I can't do that to my 4b hair. The most I can do is 1 cowash in the week, but then I have to restyle, I'm lazy. I need a set it and forget it style. After my BC I wore beanies until my hair was long enough to put into kinky twists. I was very style challenged (getting better) and trying to style 2" of hair, was not happening! Try to find a style where you don't have to re-style daily, ie buns, twists (pinned up), 2 flat twists - one on each side, was the first style I mastered.

I wore box braids for awhile, and I understand the bushy roots, I just started not to care. I also only washed 2x a month to combat this, and since I taught my self how to install, I did my own touch ups if it got bad. I used YT to teach myself how to install my own braids/twists. Use a cute headbead, silk scarf to hide frizz in the front.

If you do flat iron, #1 tip - be sure hair is clean & moisturized! You can wear your hair straight a few days, then try your braid/twist outs a few days later. But I wouldn't rely on heat to keep your hair styled, easy to cause damage.

YOUTUBE can be your friend :yep: Look for those who have textures and lengths similar to yours and get an idea of how to style there.

Last edited:
Hay Im also a 4b November will be my 3 year anniversary
I cant really say that Ive ever had problems with styling/managing my hair, but these are the tips/methods/products that make my life easy.

1. get rid of sulphates - dry hair is angry hair
I only co-wash my hair - as i am coconut cowash is awesome only $7 for 12 or 16oz. For a deeper clean I'll wash my scalp and hair is apple cider vinegar or a clay (like bentonite or rhassoul)

2. up moisture - again dry hair is angry hair.

a. for DCing I only use products formulated for DCing and that I do every wash day (usually every week, occasionally every 10 - 14 days)> I always DC with some sort of heat (body heat under a plastic cap, hair therapy wrap or steamer)

b. try baggying (applying a moisturizing conditioner and putting on a plastic cap for 1+ hours or overnight, then seal after)

c. try aloevera juice (i love this for moisture retention) I spritz my hair right after washing/DCing and before applying my leave in

d. make sure you balance moisture/protein this will depend of your hairs affinity to protein

as Golden75 said dry hair aint gonna do a dayum thing - ie: for your twistout to last the hair needs to be pliable so it will mold into the twisty shape - if its dry and brittle its just not gonna do that

for your twistouts you can try a twisting/styling product (with no hold) like shea moisture smoothie or a regular conditioner under an alcohol free gel like eco styler.

alive said:
i'm sorry you're going through this *hugs*

it sounds like you're in that awkward inbetween stage

have you tried
-half wigs? i'm not a terribly huge fan but they might be easier on the hair line
-beanies? these are so cute especially in cold weather
-turbans? i've seen some really neat videos on YouTube with ladies doing this
-curlformers? not sure this will work for you since twist outs only last a day
-redoing just your edges? if your roots look bushy really quick, it might mean your hair is growing fast (good problem to have). you should try redoing just your perimeter and wearing your twists or braids in a bun

Thanks for the suggestions... Any sugestion is appreciated... I never thought of half wigs assumed it would be a blending nightmare

Im goint to try redoing my perimeter

WhataDoll said:
What products do you use when styling your hair? Do you have pics? Your hair may actually look fine to others, sometimes we can be extra hard on ourselves.

I have been natural for about 2 1/2 years and I have a head full of 4a/4b hair, by no means what some call "good hair", but I love my hair, and I get compliments on it everyday. It is simply a matter of finding the right techniques and products that work for you. I wear my hair in a twist out and I only wash/ retwist every 2 weeks or so. I change my hairstyles as my hair changes. First week or so, I'll just wear it down and out and week two I'll start wearing puffs, or buns and playing around with other styles as my hair becomes more puffy and less defined.

The trick for me is keeping my hair in a stretched state, which is why I always use a twistout as the foundation for any style I try. Whenever I wear wash n gos, my hair tangles so I don't even try that anymore.

Pictures? I dont think my hair is LHCF ready lol but honestly i do think im too hard on my self sometimes. Its hard i got my mom laughing at my hair 99% of the time saying why it has to be her daughter to choose to look "unkempt" * rolls eyes*

I learned wash n go's were a nightmare for my hair long time ago.. I just got to find my go to hairstyle thanks for responding

HairPleezeGrow said:
So sorry! If you want to str8en I would try sabino moisture block and Paul Mitchell super skinny serum. They may help with the reversion and do you blow dry before flat ironing? are you using the tension method with the blow dryer? That may help

Eta: there's also different threads and challenges you can join like the roller setting challenge or str8 hair for naturals thread, etc.

I try rollersetting and the tension method to flat iron... I think i got to find the right products for my hair.. Im going to look into the products you suggested

Golden75 said:
@Love718 - You betta' read your avatar! :grin:

First, you need to be sure your hair is moisturized. Dry hair ain't gonna want to do a dayum thing! So what are your products?

Not sure if you're a frequent cowasher - but I can't do that to my 4b hair. The most I can do is 1 cowash in the week, but then I have to restyle, I'm lazy. I need a set it and forget it style. After my BC I wore beanies until my hair was long enough to put into kinky twists. I was very style challenged (getting better) and trying to style 2" of hair, was not happening! Try to find a style where you don't have to re-style daily, ie buns, twists (pinned up), 2 flat twists - one on each side, was the first style I mastered.

I wore box braids for awhile, and I understand the bushy roots, I just started not to care. I also only washed 2x a month to combat this, and since I taught my self how to install, I did my own touch ups if it got bad. I used YT to teach myself how to install my own braids/twists. Use a cute headbead, silk scarf to hide frizz in the front.

If you do flat iron, #1 tip - be sure hair is clean & moisturized! You can wear your hair straight a few days, then try your braid/twist outs a few days later. But I wouldn't rely on heat to keep your hair styled, easy to cause damage.

YOUTUBE can be your friend :yep: Look for those who have textures and lengths similar to yours and get an idea of how to style there.

LOL! I read my avatar at least 20 times a day if it wasnt for that i would of lost my sanity

I try to keep my hair moisturized but its like my hair always dry i try s curl and shea moisture sealing with either coconut or castor oil... Seems like i needa change things up. I did cowash everyday at one point then it became once a week right now its once every 2 weeks

Back