HELP!!!! I think this extreme heat is killing my hair

JBunnie

I live in Atlanta and the temperature has been in the 100s since Friday. I washed and styled my hair on Saturday as I always do. I'm trying to find out what products work for my curls as I am new to wearing them and I'm currently using Kinky Curly products to style my hair. After I washed I applied KCNT, sealed one side with aloe vera and the other side with argan oil, then applied KCCC. I then two strand twisted my hair and bantu knotted them and let them dry overnight into Sunday afternoon. Once I took them out I ran some errands and I started getting some pieces that frizzed and lost detention. It was only a few pieces (mostly on the side I sealed with argan oil) so I put perm rods in my hair to recurl them and slept in them until I went to work Sunday night.

My job was hotter than hot. We had to keep the front doors open and we had 2 fans going in the back. Needless to say my hair got worse while at work. When I got home I noticed that I had the same issue of frizz and loss of detention that I when I first took my hair down, but this time there was no bias, it was all over my head, not on just one side. I put perm rods in my hair again (practically my whole head was covered in them and stayed inside all day. I took the perm rods out on my way to work and drove with the windows up and A/C on. Work is once again hot and again my hair is going to the dogs.

My bantu knot outs have lasted for days without these issues prior to the heat wave (mind you it also hasn't rained here either) Does anyone have any tips/product recommendations on how to combat this?

Last edited:
Get a leave-in for swimmers. Those usually have UV protection. You could also use a heat protectant on your hair as a leave-in. Try to find one that protects against UV rays as well. Sally's sell them.

Is it humid?

I can't have my hair loose when it is too humid, or it will get frizzy.

I don't think it was.... that's one thing I realize I didn't check. I was so focused on it being 109F.:angry2:

I live in NC and the heat is brutal. Just the heat inside the house killed my phone.

My hair has been dry all week. I m&s everyday and I got desperate and co washed two days in a row. My norm is every other day. But nothing worked until I tried a dc on dry hair.

I dont usually do challenges but I had to hop on the dc challenge for the sake of my hair.

sckri23 said:
I live in NC and the heat is brutal. Just the heat inside the house killed my phone.

My hair has been dry all week. I m&s everyday and I got desperate and co washed two days in a row. My norm is every other day. But nothing worked until I tried a dc on dry hair.

I dont usually do challenges but I had to hop on the dc challenge for the sake of my hair.

I live in nc also where temperatures have been hellish lately. Deep conditioning has made all the difference in the world.

I also live in Atlanta and can relate to the heat woes. Without a doubt, my hair is dryer in the summer than winter. I use a heavier leave in and make sure to PT/DC weekly.

I rotate my DCs, this week as protein. I still followed up with a moisturizing rinse out but I'm thinking that might not have been enough now. I may have to rethink my DC regime now that this has happened to me. Thank you ladies!

I'm using B&B Castor Oil whenever my ends feel dry. It's my staple for moisturizing and I used vitamin E to seal only because I ran out of my other oils.

But I'm wearing my hair out like normal. Last week it was in a bun when the heat soared over 100. I really think this is the perfect time to deep condition or wear wet styles.

My hubby just asked me last night how my hair was holding up in the heat. A friend of ours moved to a super hot area and she had to cut off her MBL hair because she didn't understand how to care for it. Sadly, she is not a member here and doesn't like hair advice....

My hair is doing great. Bun it up if it's too hot. Deep condition with each wash. Check! Thanks LHCF!

keep a water mixed with some glycerin and rose water or your favorite oils in your pocket to purse and mist your hair throughout the day. and try bunning or a pin up style if you can.

Thanks ladies. I'm trying to figure what I need to buy right now so I can fix this. I have my laptop on my lap sitting in front of my drawers with my hair stuff shifting through products to see what I have/don't have :lol:

Maybe what you are using under your styler is too thin and it evaporates quickly. When it's very hot I really need a creamy and thick conditioner as a leave in (natural conditioners work very well for me) and my castor oil to seal it all along the length. I also dip my ends in water and seal them with a butter before bed if I am not cowashing and they are feeling very dry.

Any styler goes on top of my thick conditioner, oil and extra butter on the ends.

There are a lot of people saying butters and thicker products but I have fine hair, low porosity hair so I fear putting such heavy things on my hair, naturally I think my curls will be limp and lifeless.

There are liquid type moisturizers contain UV inhibitors. Rusk products do - I love Rusk Smoother, it's moisturizing and light. The Biotera line (conditioners and leave-ins) from Sally's do as well. Ingredients like glycerine and propleyne glycol act to prevent moisture loss in the hair strand as well. Most liquid leave-ins have one or both ingredients.

ETA: Biotera mimics the Matrix Biolage line..

Last edited:
I just sprayed some of the refresher spray I use for my wash and gos on my hair (I didn't do it before because pineappling was always good enough when I did a bantu knot out but I figured what the heck, things can't get any worse at this point) It did help some. The front of my hair is pretty straight though because of heat damage so i reverted back to straight, but my overall head looks better than it did before. I'm still getting ready to step out to find something(s) to fix this and I'm def taking all this into mind.

I stopped wearing my hair loose because I could literally smell the sun frying my hair . Glad to hear I can buy UV protection for my hair plus I have several heat protectant serums that I plan to use. Thanks Theresamonet.

My hair is pretty sensitive to heat so when its really hot out, so I wear hats for protection (for my skin too). Sometimes I may wear a light scarf. Protecting the ends, deep conditioning and using something with a UV protection made all the difference in the world.

JBunnie

start dc-ing every week making sure you rotate and keep balanced your protein and moisture.

use creams, butters, or lotion type leave-in under styling products. (i do this year round)

kinky-curly products are very drying to some folks hair just so you know.

moisturize and seal 2-4 times a week ( i do this yr round)

keep your hair in twists,braids, buns, or updos.

if you are clueless about styling check out youtube. naptural85, mahoganyknots, whoissugar, and fusionofcultures are a few of my faves.

wavezncurlz said:
I hear ya. My hair is dry these days too.
What are ya'll using for your DCs?

I use profectiv mega growth. I was hating it until I did a dc on dry hair no-heat. It works better that way for some reason.

ETA: But im goin to the product exchange for new DCs. I mean really what kinda DC doesnt increase its moisture with a hooded dryer?

I bought that dryer for DCs and ima find a dc for it. But Profectiv is my "dry dc" staple for now.

Last edited:
I have been using a heat protectant. It just made sense one day. I moisturize and seal with a heat protectant. Im keeping my hair twisted so it works out.

I swear this heat be making my hair feel dry and stuff. I am from Alabama and it's been over 100 degrees down here. I never thought about using a heat protectant. Thanks ladies.

I have fine hair too. Check humidity in your area. Idk the ingredients in the KC products but I suspect they contain glycerin? If they do, they are attracting the moisture from the air to your hair causing it to revert and not hold a style. If they do, discontinue those products til winter and use the uv products and anti reversion pomades the others suggested. Summer styling and winter styling really are 2 different beasts.

Also Try a light protein treatment esp if your climate is humid. Your hair could be absorbing some of the moisture in the air making it revert even without glycerin containing products. The protein will give it a little more backbone and hold the style a little better.

wavezncurlz, for my DCs I use MoroccanOil Intense Hydrating Mask for moisture and light protein I do Brazilian Tech Deep Penetrating Conditioning Treatment.

southerncitygirl, I DC every week and rotate each week so I get moisture and protein. I'm going to look into using something else for protein, not only have I wanted to try new products but I did my protein DC on Saturday and my hair has never acted like this before so the one I'm using now might have something to do with it. I fear using creams and butters because I have fine, low porosity strands. I did buy some things other than KC to style with though. And I'm having a hard time finding a moisturizer that will work in-between washes and co-washes. Like I said I'm afraid t use butters/creams because they weigh my hair down and I don't want to use anything to wet because then the front of my hair gets too wet it straightens totally. I'll look into wearing protective styles more often.

I have fine hair too. Check humidity in your area. Idk the ingredients in the KC products but I suspect they contain glycerin? If they do, they are attracting the moisture from the air to your hair causing it to revert and not hold a style. If they do, discontinue those products til winter and use the uv products and anti reversion pomades the others suggested. Summer styling and winter styling really are 2 different beasts.

Also Try a light protein treatment esp if your climate is humid. Your hair could be absorbing some of the moisture in the air making it revert even without glycerin containing products. The protein will give it a little more backbone and hold the style a little better.

I'm trying to find that thread that talked about when to use glycerin in conjunction with dew points. I bought some new products, some with glycerin and some without, to experiment with. This past wash I did a light protein DC. I've never had this issue when I did my moisturizing DCs or my APhogee 2 step so I think the treatment itself might have caused some issues.

Back