HELP!!! I pulled my hair out from the roots!!

Barbi

Ladies,

I am in tears as I type this because my hair is so thin. It all started when I decided to put a curly weave in my hair for the summer so I wouldn't have to do my hair. Well, I had the hair on for only 3 days when It started itching and felt tight. I was so unconfortable that I decided to take it off. The girl that put the weave on wasn't available so I had a friend take it off for me. While she was removing the hair, I felt alot of pulling and discomfort but really didn't think anything about it because my scalp was already soar from the tightness of the breads. When I washed my hair to remove the excess hair and to roller set it, I noticed alot of hair in the tub. When I was through with putting the setting lotion in order to set it, I noticed that my hair was thinner than usual. I figured that it may be from the conditioner making it silky and smooth, which will make it look thinner because it's straight and silkier. This wasn't the case at all.

After my hair was dry, I attempted to comb out the curls in order to wrap it when I noticed that the comb just glidded through my hair considerably fast. I looked in the mirror and noticed how thin looking and almost transparent my hair was.

I am so upset that I want to chop it all off and just pray that I can grow new hair. The back is uneven now and it doesn't look good so I have no choice but to get a hair cut to even it out. What do you think? Do you think I caused permanent damage and it will never be thick again? Also, who has tried the Nioxin line for thinning hair?

i think you should move this to the hair care tips section to get more responses. i'm so sorrythis happend to you btw.

im really sorry this happned to you, but remember you did not comb your hair fpr 3 days..so thats up to 600 hairs that needed to come out..ya know..dont chop off your hair..it will re thicken, just baby your tresses for a while and try to keep styling to a minimum..it will get better..i use nioxin, i liked it as a conditioner but it didint do anything spectactular as far as thickining goes..i think that will just take a little time..

Jeez..I'm so sorry that happened to you. That is why I let nobody else mess in my hair. Not to braid it, wash it..whatever. I would baby your whole scalp with stimulating and moisturizing products to stimulate your hair growth. I heard massages are good also. Well, good luck to you.

HAIR GOAL!!! 5 inches past bra strap by Dec. 2005!
I might exceed that, yea!

You know, I posted a similar thread last week but mine was a result of a tangling/matting issue after coming out of braids. I refuse to cut my hair. I was thinking about getting a sew in for temporary thickness but on second thought, might go with bonding glue since I have never experienced problems with that in the past and am concerned that braiding might be too damaging to my already fragile hair. I am confident that my hair will grow back and I am sure that yours will too. Keep the faith and consider this a valuable lesson learned.

I feel your pain! Just start giving your hair plenty of TLC and even out the hair if it is that bad. It will get better!

Oh my, I'm sorry that this happened to you.:( Like the other member said, if it's really uneven, go ahead and trim to even it out. You must baby your hair like you've never done before. Even though the braids are out, you could have more hair breaking/shedding more than usual for the next couple of weeks. Never let someone braid your hair real tight. Even though you want the style to last, it's never worth losing your hair for it.:ohwell:

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! I went to supercuts yesterday and had 1 inch chopped off. My hair is dramatically shorter, but healthier. I explained the situation to the stylist and she said she did the same thing and it grew back within 3-4 months because she trimmed off the split ends. She also suggested using Paul Mitchell's body shampoo. She said that it will give it alot of volume and body, which will give it the appearance of being thick until my natural hair grows in.

I washed and set my hair after the trim and now it's looks healthy. It doesn't look as thin as it looks before because she cut off the stragling hair. ( is this a word? LOL!) I also used KMS silkener on the ends to seal them and give it shine.

I will be due for a relaxer next week. Do you think I should hold off for now? I really dont' think I can last to long because the hair on my scalp is really puffy looking.

Barbi said:
She also suggested using Paul Mitchell's body shampoo. She said that it will give it alot of volume and body, which will give it the appearance of being thick until my natural hair grows in.

Barbi, I am very sorry this happened to you. :( I hope you regain the length and thickness of your hair quickly. :yep:

Please be careful about using a volumizing shampoo like the one that hairdresser recommended, though. From what I've read about these products, they work by adding proteins and other ingredients that bond to the hair to kind of "roughen up" the cuticle of the hair and dry it out to make it look fuller. A lot of ladies here have problems when using too much protein in their hair so, if you do, too, you may cause more damage to your hair by using a volumizing shampoo.

Most hairdressers are more concerned with styling hair, rather than maintaining the health of their clients' hair. That is why they often recommend products and styling techniques that are counterproductive to maintaining healthy hair.

It seems like most of us need moisturizing products and a volumizing shampoo is basically the opposite of that. If you try to add moisturizers to your hair after using such a product, they may not work well because of the buildup left on your hair from the shampoo.

Maybe someone here can offer firsthand advice as to whether they've used such shampoos without them drying out their hair, though.

Renee n 300, what you said makes alot of sense. I didn't like the idea of using Paul Mitchell anyway. I may even return it to the store and get my money back. I'm thinking of sticking with my normal routine of wash, & condition like I used to. I may even do my deep oil treatments like I did in the past, which made my hair grow super fast.

Thanks for your help, ladies! I will definitely keep you posted.

Barbara

Firstly, I'm also sorry this happened to you! But I just wanted to encourage you... it will grow back...it just need a little time. Maybe keep your ends up (protective styling). You may have to cut it. I just did that... but I can already see where my hair has been growing back from when I pulled it out... Just hang in there ...take your vitamins and take care of the hair that you have. I would recommend though... if you decide to cut it, wait... don't do it now... you're too angry and may do something rash... just hang in there... it will be ok

Back