Help I need to start a regimen.. I was natural for 7 months and got a relaxer but...

LadyCampbell

:sad: Hello all,

I've been a member on this forum for quite some time but never had time to post anything. Well for starters I've been natural for 7 months and my hair became super matted so I caved in and got a relaxer put in on Sunday :wallbash:. Unfortunately, I did not know Mizani brand was terribly strong; and I never had a reaction to relaxers before. The stylist assumed that the butter base was thick enough to protect my skin.. WRONG! I have a chemical burn across the nape of my neck. I'm using neosporin on the burn. Since I'm newly relaxed now any ideas on maintaining my hair? I'm avoiding relaxers again for another 7 months.. I don't want another horrible burn again... I don't really know my hair type but I'm Black/Native American/Japanese.. My natural hair texture is usually small s-coils somewhat coarse and it gets pretty thick... Help!

Shanisha

Re: Help I need to start a regimen.. I was natural for 7 months and got a relaxer but

Sorry this happened to you...I will bump this for you.

Re: Help I need to start a regimen.. I was natural for 7 months and got a relaxer but

:sad: Hello all,

I've been a member on this forum for quite some time but never had time to post anything. Well for starters I've been natural for 7 months and my hair became super matted so I caved in and got a relaxer put in on Sunday :wallbash:. Unfortunately, I did not know Mizani brand was terribly strong; and I never had a reaction to relaxers before. The stylist assumed that the butter base was thick enough to protect my skin.. WRONG! I have a chemical burn across the nape of my neck. I'm using neosporin on the burn. Since I'm newly relaxed now any ideas on maintaining my hair? I'm avoiding relaxers again for another 7 months.. I don't want another horrible burn again... I don't really know my hair type but I'm Black/Native American/Japanese.. My natural hair texture is usually small s-coils somewhat coarse and it gets pretty thick... Help!

Shanisha

Hey! I'm really sorry to hear that this happened to you. Yeah Mizani is pretty strong, that's what the stylist at the time who permed my hair used on me, and it left my hair limp and lifeless, it took about a month or more to regain some bounce and body. I do my own perms now, but that's a different topic :)

I suggest a week after the perm you should opt to using a neutralizing shampoo, after applying it to your hair and massaging it in, leave it in for at least 10 mins then wash it out.

This is the neutralizing shampoo I have been using since transitioning to perm;
bantu neutralizing & conditioning shampoo by softsheen carson professional http://www.sallybeauty.com/Neutralizing-Shampoo/SBS-101621,default,pd.html
(idk the one at sally looks different from the one I own, and the one i own is cheaper... i suggest checking your local beauty supply store.)

After this you will need some conditioner which you can apply briefly then use to detangle your hair while running it under water, this may not be necessary unless your hair is really tangled up.

Then, deep condition. You can use household products like eggs (which contains lots of protein) or mayonnaise (lots of protein as well) mixed with evo (extra virgin olive oil). Or even plain yogurt ( My mom makes some every weekend so i sneak some out for my hair hahaha)

I hope this helps, try doing protective styles, like buns when you start to get a lot of new growth. And stretching your perms to like twice a year will help minimize breakage if you have any.

Hey! and don't forget your vitamins as well.
For now you're gonna need to nurse your hair and let the wound heal.

Last edited:

I would suggests a neutralizing shampoo, a moisturizing shampoo, a protein deep conditioner, a moisturiing deep conditioner, regular moisturizing cond for co washes, oils to seal, moisturizing lotion/spray, and a good leave in conditioner. Relaxed hair loves moisture and stretch from 7-12 weeks or more if u can

Back