HELP!!! I HAVE BRILLO PAD HAIR!!!

shyekiera

OMG!!! I am trying so hard to stretch..this is my second time...I am at about 4 months now!!! So tempted to relax my hair but I want to wait...but I have sooooo much new growth and my hair is super rough/thick..(hard to comb, even hard to brush)Can anyone suggest a product that will help make my hair more manageable/softer? I recently washed..cowashed(thought it would help but didn't)

What did you use to cowash? How often (and with what) are you deep conditioning?

(Four months isn't a bad stretch either... how long are you aiming to hold out?)

Have you DC? Try a moisturizing DC left on for an hour or so ( even better if you mix on some olive oil). Should soften the new growth. I like Lekair Cholesterol.

After you wash out, apply leave in and seal with oil.

Probably need to DC's at least weekly or biweekly to get you hair to a good softness/ manageability.

Also try washing and applying products ( and air dry) in sections to reach all the hair & stretch/separate NG.
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
I suggest using moisturizing conditioners and deep conditioners. Also, overnight deep conditioning can help you. I personally just keep it simple and use a cheapie drugstore conditioner to detangle with like Tresemme or Aussie and it works like a charm. Although - people might disagree with me on this - if your hair feels that dry and you're stretching, you should just relax before you cause your hair to break. Stretching isn't for everyone and I've seen tons of setbacks because people ignore the fact that it's time for a touch-up. If the moisturizing DCs work for you then all power to you.

I used a cholesterol conditioner..but didn't leave it in for an hour....and its my time trying it....should I have used a lathering conditioner?

I agree with Aireen. Go ahead and relax your hair before it starts to break. This is only your second time and 4 months is a good stretch. Next stretch you can go a little further than 4 months.

For right now, add a little oil to your DC to soften your new growth. HTH

What did you use to cowash? How often (and with what) are you deep conditioning?

(Four months isn't a bad stretch either... how long are you aiming to hold out?)

I suggest using moisturizing conditioners and deep conditioners. Also, overnight deep conditioning can help you. I personally just keep it simple and use a cheapie drugstore conditioner to detangle with like Tresemme or Aussie and it works like a charm. Although - people might disagree with me on this - if your hair feels that dry and you're stretching, you should just relax before you cause your hair to break. Stretching isn't for everyone and I've seen tons of setbacks because people ignore the fact that it's time for a touch-up. If the moisturizing DCs work for you then all power to you.

Agree with the bolded, try to slowly stretch longer each time you stretch, how long did you stretch the 1st time and how long do you want to stretch for? 4 Months is a great stretch. :yep: This is how long I stretched for on my second attempt.

Have you tried oil rinse with co-washing? Pre-poo/oil rinse before the dc? I would make the next DC/co-wash a moisture one.

I stretched for 6 months the first time....i an getting braids in a couple if weeks thats why I dont want to go ahead and relax. I am not sure what prepoo our an oil rinse is but I will research it.

I used cholesterol conditioners when I was relaxed, great for relaxed hair didnt help much for new growth. Try the caramel treatment, but don't use wheat germ oil. Use sunflower.

shyekiera, a lot of people use S Curl on their new growth and baggy to keep it soft. What do you use to moisturize? And have you ever baggied? You might be surprised that just that alone can make a whole lot of difference.

Try Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm. This makes my hair really soft. You don't even need to use heat. Just put a shower cap or foil conditioning cap over your hair for about an hour (buy them at Sally's or Walmart--Walmart is cheaper) and then rinse. Apply the conditioner the same way you would a relaxer to make sure you cover every strand. HTH

CHI Silk Infusion.............sold at CVS, work on the hardest, kinkiest, mattedest, tangle hair. And if you need a extra step after that, put your fave conditioner on top of that, let it sit a cpl of hours, and viloa.....soft strong hair with zero hair lost in shedding tangles or knot balls. I buy a 12oz bottle every 2 weeks. Me and my girls dont use that much, but its like crack, I AM TERRIFIED to ever run out.

Have to agree with s-curl...hydration in a bottle, but i'm curious what products do you use to moisturize and whats your current regimen?

About Oil Rinses
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965&highlight=sleep+on+oil

Oils, HOTS and End Sealing
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=566405&highlight=oils

Long term stretch thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=356989&highlight=stretch

Hope this helps to get you started

I stretched for 6 months the first time....i an getting braids in a couple if weeks thats why I dont want to go ahead and relax. I am not sure what prepoo our an oil rinse is but I will research it.

I was thinking about transitioning...but I may be changing my mind...i dont need to touch up right now because I am about to get braids...

My last relaxer was Dec 1 so I am almost 4 months too. I can't make up my mind if I want to transition or relax. I change my mind daily! I have been moisturizing with Scurl then I put a little elasta qp mango butter and i seal with grapeseed oil and then in a ponytail. It stays pretty moist and I guess that's why I struggle with relaxing or transition. I have not been wearing it down or anything.

shyekiera, a lot of people use S Curl on their new growth and baggy to keep it soft. What do you use to moisturize? And have you ever baggied? You might be surprised that just that alone can make a whole lot of difference.

Yes when i was relaxed and was stretching...i found that spraying S-curl on my newgrowth helped BIG time! Especially if you live in a humid area...i would spray it on damp hair and then style:yep:

ETA: 6 months stretching? I would try co-washing daily or every other day, put your s-curl on, seal with an oil and style and leave it alone.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have protein overload. Try moisturizing your hair with a deep conditioner for a few hours w/o heat, and try spritzing your hair daily with watered down leave in conditioner, then seal with an oil/butter. Also try claifiying it.

I really appreciate everyone's advice!!! Thank u soooo much... I haven't really been using anything to moisturize besides coconut and olive oils...I have been wearing sew ins so I would just oil my scalp

Sounds like you have protein overload. Try moisturizing your hair with a deep conditioner for a few hours w/o heat, and try spritzing your hair daily with watered down leave in conditioner, then seal with an oil/butter. Also try claifiying it.

i don't think it's protein...my hair is just very very coarse

shyekiera said:
I really appreciate everyone's advice!!! Thank u soooo much... I haven't really been using anything to moisturize besides coconut and olive oils...I have been wearing sew ins so I would just oil my scalp

Oils by themselves are not moisturizers. They are sealants. That is probably why your hair is hard. Water should be the first ingredient for a good moisturizer.

Look up the crown and glory technique at growafrohairling.com so you have a better idea on how to keep your hair moisturized in braids or weaves.

Really sounds like you need a moisturizing DC. The brand or type is up to you and you received a ton of suggestions. On the less expensive sides cholesterols, ORS hair mayo are sure to work. Then you can spray some Scurl and seal with an oil or cream/butter hair dress. It may take a couple of DCs (every 3-4 days) to get your hair soft.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thanks...i usually moisture and seal my fighters hair...but dont know how that would work with a see in...i am gonna baggy tonight if I maker out to the beauty supply before pity closes and i'll post updates.

Thanks...i usually moisture and seal my daughter hair...but dont know how that would work with a see in...i am gonna baggy tonight if I maker out to the beauty supply before pity closes and i'll post updates.

Last edited:
OMG!!! I am trying so hard to stretch..this is my second time...I am at about 4 months now!!! So tempted to relax my hair but I want to wait...but I have sooooo much new growth and my hair is super rough/thick..(hard to comb, even hard to brush)Can anyone suggest a product that will help make my hair more manageable/softer? I recently washed..cowashed(thought it would help but didn't)

Do you have hard water in your area? When I use hard water to wash my strands, my hair is difficult to comb and detangle. Also, it is not as soft or smooth. I end up with brillo pad hair.

Last edited:
Back