Help! I got a Ferm Curl and I'm having regrets

Thanks guys.

HoneyA - your right I need to be more in control of this. I'm going to call Avalon and see what they say about re rodding and when it can be done, instead of relying on what my stylist says.

For those of you who have had a relaxer done over a curl. Did you actually do it OVER the curl'd hair or just on new growth and if so did you have to relax it straight or could it be done texlaxed or curly. Sorry I KNOW i sound crazy asking this after I JUST got it done a week and half ago, but inquiring minds need to know.

You can relax your hair over the perm if your hair is strong enough and your hair is not right now. You'll have to prep it beforehand with protein treatments and Dcs. You cannot do a texlax or texturiser over it though. That you'll have to do on virgin hair because the permed ends will just look straight on top of the texturised new growth and stick out is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Well I called Avalon and they said they didn't think it would be a good idea for me to get re rodded on Wednesday. The woman said at least wait another month.

Wow. To think my stylist at Liz's was just going to re rod me.

I'm glad I listened to you guys and took more ownership of this instead of just listening to what she tells me.

I am however I think going to get a wash and set. The Avalon said that would be much healthier. I just have to do something b/c my hair is so inbetween now. It's not a nice curly or a nice straight, it's just a frizzy limp mess. So that's why i want to go with the roller set.

For anyone who uses a curl and does a wash and set - what products do you use on your hair during that time? Wouldn't the activator be too wet for this style?

Thanks everyone. I'm still deciding between sticking with the curl or just waiting a while (a long while) and conditioning strenthening my hair and getting a relaxer to replace the curl. Then I will transition from the relaxed to a texlax. I don't want to do a big chop again.

The kind words and advice I've gotten from you guys has really helped me thru this. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Sooo... just wanted to update ya'll.

I decided not to go back to Liz's and went running back to my old stylist, Monica at MonicaTodd salon. I think the reason I didn't go to her in the first place is a fews ago when I wanted to texlax or have my hair curly she was like it can't be done. You have to have short hair to keep a texturized look.

Monica sat me down and explained the chemical processes of a relaxer vs a permanent curl. She impressed me enough that I decided to let her do my hair.

She said it was okay to be rerodded and that the company is going to say you shouldn't to cover themselves.

She said not only did I need to be rerodded the whole straigtening process needed to be redone, b/c basically my hair was just frizzy.

She asked Todd for his opinion and he guessed that maybe I hadn't been neutralized properly.

Monica was very professional and did not try to down Liz's hair care. Actually she knows Liz and they used to work at Olive's together. Boston is a small town.

Either way it wasn't done right at Liz's.

So Monica did a strand test to see how it would come out. It came out well. So two days later I had the whole process redone at Monica's.

My hair looks good.

Monica gave me Paul Mitchell skinny serum and a foam sculptor and also the Awapuhi (sp?) mist spray for my hair. However after using these products my hair just felt very dry and lacking of moisture. So I've been experimenting.

So far using S-curl has yielded the best results. I would have loved to stick with the Paul Mitchell just so I don't smell like activator, BUT what can you do.

I think next I'm going to try a conditioner wash and maybe also leaving conditioner in my hair and see how that turns out as well.

I'm concernced now though b/c i'm experiencing a lot of shedding?? I don't know why. Everytime I pull my hands thru my hair i come out with strands of hair. Not sure what to make of this.

I'll try to take a pic of my hair for you guys as soon as I can.

Sorry for the long post

I guess I will be in the minority but I think you should cut all the chemically treated hair off and as your hair is growing back learn how to maintain your hair on your own. Even if you don't do the BC learn how to do your own hair. Good Luck.

Hi Everyone,

Sooo... just wanted to update ya'll.

I decided not to go back to Liz's and went running back to my old stylist, Monica at MonicaTodd salon. I think the reason I didn't go to her in the first place is a fews ago when I wanted to texlax or have my hair curly she was like it can't be done. You have to have short hair to keep a texturized look.

Monica sat me down and explained the chemical processes of a relaxer vs a permanent curl. She impressed me enough that I decided to let her do my hair.

She said it was okay to be rerodded and that the company is going to say you shouldn't to cover themselves.

She said not only did I need to be rerodded the whole straigtening process needed to be redone, b/c basically my hair was just frizzy.

She asked Todd for his opinion and he guessed that maybe I hadn't been neutralized properly.

Monica was very professional and did not try to down Liz's hair care. Actually she knows Liz and they used to work at Olive's together. Boston is a small town.

Either way it wasn't done right at Liz's.

So Monica did a strand test to see how it would come out. It came out well. So two days later I had the whole process redone at Monica's.

My hair looks good.

Monica gave me Paul Mitchell skinny serum and a foam sculptor and also the Awapuhi (sp?) mist spray for my hair. However after using these products my hair just felt very dry and lacking of moisture. So I've been experimenting.

So far using S-curl has yielded the best results. I would have loved to stick with the Paul Mitchell just so I don't smell like activator, BUT what can you do.

I think next I'm going to try a conditioner wash and maybe also leaving conditioner in my hair and see how that turns out as well.

I'm concernced now though b/c i'm experiencing a lot of shedding?? I don't know why. Everytime I pull my hands thru my hair i come out with strands of hair. Not sure what to make of this.

I'll try to take a pic of my hair for you guys as soon as I can.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks for the update, keep us posted, there are so many ways to moisturize that I learned from this site, I hope its working out for you.

OMG I remember my first jherri curl. My grandmother couldn't afford or didn't want to keep buying the products to keep my hair moistrurize and my hair dried out terrible and I end up getting sores on my scalp. The advice I can give you, is keep it moisturize, at all times.

Hi,

AtlantaJJ asked that I update this thread to let people know what's happened since.

Well my hair started to come out.

I think at around 6 weeks post curl I was suppossed to go in and get a protein treatment. Because my experience with this particular stylist, when I asked her about hair coming out in the past, was that she would tell me that you lose 80 hairs a day, etc, etc, I just thought this might be normal.

But I think deep down I must have known, but I didn't have the time really to investigate, I just assummed my hair was okay.

I ended up having to get it all chopped off.

I have to say though that when I did have the curl, I just was not satisfied with the look of it. Maybe if it was rerodded like I had planned to do on my next visit (the one that turned into the BC) it might have looked better, but I doubt it.

I really don't know how to explain it but to me it just looked too fake. I think getting the hair texlaxed is probably better on the hair and better looking.

Also with the curl and waiting up to 3 months to get a touch up, well let's just say I don't know how on earth anyone does that. I had SO much new growth and it just felt and looked bad not to get it taken care of. But maybe that's just me.

I'm sooo tired of the salons and hairdressers. Since then I switched from that hairstylist and went to a new one (one with a really really good reputation but high prices). Because I exercise almost every other day and am sweating alot the hairdresser convinced me to get a texturizer (or basically a texlax). See now I need to start a new thread on this! But anyways it came out underprocessed.

Why is it so hard for these so called stylist to do their jobs? I don't understand. And I go to places with great reputations.

I think one of you said I need to learn how to do my own hair. I am starting to see that that might be the only answer. I'm tired of putting my hair in the hands of stylist. And if I do the next time, I know that you have to know EXACTLY what you want and how you want it done, otherwise these stylist will run all over your butt.

My only thing is that my one experience doing my own chemical was with Phytorelaxer. I had the best hair EVER. And then towards the end my hair must have reacted badly to it? B/c my hair turned a copper color and became very brittle. And I have read a few other people had the same reaction.

Anyways I think for the curly look a texlax might be best. That's my experience.

I"m going to either need to get me a jar of Mizani and do it myself or go and get a stylist that I can mold into doing what I want. :)

Whoa you have been through a lot. It's sad you had to cut off all your hair but at least this can be a learning experience for the future. I agree that you need to start learning how to do your own hair. If you search the board you can find a lot of useful information on everything you want to know.

Have you ever thought about staying natural? The reason I ask is because it seems like you're not having to much luck with chemicals. And you can definitely achieve curly looks with natural hair that will last through your workouts.

Anyways I think for the curly look a texlax might be best.

Just wanted to point out that if you don't already have curls, texlaxing/texturizing will not create any. Those chemicals will only lengthen/relax/loosen up curls you already have...if you don't have any you're more likely to come out with random waves or straight pieces or just frizzy hair.

Thanks for the update Jackie. I had to go natural because it is like a crap shoot dealing with stylist and especially stylist with chemicals!! I have to remember that in my moments of weakness!

I'm sorry you had to go for the big chop. You should start a new thread about your textlaxed tresses.

I know your delema with the working out and sweating every other day or every day. That is a big problem for me as well.

Thanks so much for sharing your story..........
There are lots of stories like yours....

At the end of the day, relaxers and chems were not for me.... Have you considered going natural? I agree with MSA ....sometimes we convince ourselves that someone else can help us with our hair....

But - it sounds like you are better off on your own... and better off NOT experimenting with ANY chemical process. I know that is alot to think about - but I hope that you can find an answer...:yep::yep:

Good luck to you.

Hi,

AtlantaJJ asked that I update this thread to let people know what's happened since.

Well my hair started to come out.

I think at around 6 weeks post curl I was suppossed to go in and get a protein treatment. Because my experience with this particular stylist, when I asked her about hair coming out in the past, was that she would tell me that you lose 80 hairs a day, etc, etc, I just thought this might be normal.

But I think deep down I must have known, but I didn't have the time really to investigate, I just assummed my hair was okay.

I ended up having to get it all chopped off.

I have to say though that when I did have the curl, I just was not satisfied with the look of it. Maybe if it was rerodded like I had planned to do on my next visit (the one that turned into the BC) it might have looked better, but I doubt it.

I really don't know how to explain it but to me it just looked too fake. I think getting the hair texlaxed is probably better on the hair and better looking.

Also with the curl and waiting up to 3 months to get a touch up, well let's just say I don't know how on earth anyone does that. I had SO much new growth and it just felt and looked bad not to get it taken care of. But maybe that's just me.

I'm sooo tired of the salons and hairdressers. Since then I switched from that hairstylist and went to a new one (one with a really really good reputation but high prices). Because I exercise almost every other day and am sweating alot the hairdresser convinced me to get a texturizer (or basically a texlax). See now I need to start a new thread on this! But anyways it came out underprocessed.

Why is it so hard for these so called stylist to do their jobs? I don't understand. And I go to places with great reputations.

I think one of you said I need to learn how to do my own hair. I am starting to see that that might be the only answer. I'm tired of putting my hair in the hands of stylist. And if I do the next time, I know that you have to know EXACTLY what you want and how you want it done, otherwise these stylist will run all over your butt.

My only thing is that my one experience doing my own chemical was with Phytorelaxer. I had the best hair EVER. And then towards the end my hair must have reacted badly to it? B/c my hair turned a copper color and became very brittle. And I have read a few other people had the same reaction.

Anyways I think for the curly look a texlax might be best. That's my experience.

I"m going to either need to get me a jar of Mizani and do it myself or go and get a stylist that I can mold into doing what I want. :)

Back