Help! How To Apply Products to a TWA

WiseLotus

So...I've had a TWA for all of 2 weeks now, and so far, not so bad. My regimen is as follows:

1. Wash and deep condition once or twice a week (Clarify every two weeks)
2. Wet/ and or cowash daily or every other day
3. Apply product and go (airdry or diffuse in an emergency)

Now, I have been experimenting with products since nice little baby curly-q's when wet. My hair seems to like Smooth 'n' Shine curling mousse sealed with Isoplus Castor Oil, and a little Profective Leave-In. The only thing is I haven't figured out how to apply product without totally disturbing the pattern. I have been experimenting with wet/dry applications, but I still get frizz some of the time. I've tried scrunching (hair is kinda too short), patting, and ice water to control frizz and lock in the pattern.

What is the best way to apply products to a short natural? Keep in mind that I am 4a/4b.

I apply products to my sopping wet hair. I use my fingertips and rake thru my hair in a circular motion to encourage curl and texture. Then I just leave it alone til it dries.

Question: why do you clarify so often? When I had a TWA I cowashed everyday but I never had enough buildup to need to clarify, just a regular shampooing every week or two was enough.

My best method for applying leave-ins was when I was still in the shower. After some experimenting, I found that my coils looked the best with just some conditioner & a little bit of Ecostyler gel. So once I rinsed on my conditioner from my cowash, I'd put a little conditioner in my hands & work it through my hair & then do the same thing with a little bit of the Ecostyler gel. Then I'd do a real short rinse, shake to remove excess water, and then do a mini-plopping with a tshirt or microfiber towel while I got dressed. That kept my coils intact but got the drying process started.

I've been fully natural for 2 months and it's been interesting indeed. My shrinkage is NO JOKE and I'm still in the process of figuring things out. I can't do the circular motion thingie. I did it twice and the first time it was....well.... ok... and the second time it left me with massive tangles. I don't know if my hair's too long or if it's my texture or what. Now I do one of two things after cowashing. My curl pattern is more defined in some areas than others. I've been trying to figure it out (my hair will hold twists but won't maintain a twistout. *sigh*

1. Apply leave-ins, pick through and air dry.
2. Apply leave-ins with a rake through and leave it alone until it dries.

As far as clarifying, I do about 1-2x a month. The buildup from the conditioners make my scalp itch so I've gotten in the habit of doing it when it needs it or isn't absorbing moisture like it should.

Back