HELP! HOW TO ADD BODY/MOVEMENT TO YOUR HAIR!

Roselyn

Not to say that my hair is stiff, but I'd really like for it to have more body/movment. It only seems to be at it's best when I braid it over night and then take the braids out in the morning. It's really shiny, soft, silky with body. But I'd really like to know how to do it without the braids(crimps). I've seen plenty of pictures of women from the forum who's hair is so beautiful with body. Most of these women used IONIC hooded dryers to do the trick (Sometimes roller setting). I just got an IONIC hooded dryer this weekend and tried rollersetting, but it doesn't work well for me... I'm probably not doing it right...
crazy.gif
I use plenty of oils/moiturizers before during andthing to my hair. I'd really apreciate it if I could get some sort of informative info/direction from the experienced ladies of this forum. Thank you.

have u ever tried airdrying a rollerset? also, u may be using too many products. when I had movement after a rollerset, I just had Motions Nourish leave-in conditioner in my hair
smile.gif
But I have used oils and moisturizers before and never had trouble with no movement; I use them sparingly (dont use too much). Also try airdrying instead of using heat!
smile.gif

Roselyn, Ive found the less products u put on your hair, the more movement it will have. Many, including myself, have had good results from Salerm 21 and a little serum. It leaves your hair light, shiny, and full of body. The only problem is, if you live in a humid climate like me, u might start with that look but end up with a fro before its over with! lol....I have to use more products normally in order for my hair to behave.

How about also trying bantu knots if you cant roller set? Those come out with loose waves instead of crimped like a braidout. You could air dry your hair most of the way and then do the knots and sit under the dryer and then take them down. Mine comes out looking like a rollerset, and it dries faster! Or for a tighter curl u could do them wet and dry under the dryer.

Good luck, it takes a little trial and error!:)

Try cutting back on the amount of oils and moisturizers that you use. Overuse of oils and moisturizers can actually weigh your hair down making it limp and taking away from the all the movement. Braided hairstyles can hold more product than straight styles.

Whenever I do a rollerset, I use a liquid leave-in, and a serum and a light oil mixed together. It might be a tablespoon of the the serum and oil for my whole head.

Hang in there with the rollersetting, it takes lots of practice and patience. If you like you can also try the ponytail method of rollersetting. Just section your hair into different ponytails and secure with a hair safe elastic band. Then take the loose ends of the ponytails and set them on rollers. Depending on how curly you want the ends, you can use more rollers and also different sizes. Once your hair dries on the ends and at the roots, you can remove the rollers and elastics and either finger comb out the curls or wrap your hair for a looser look.
The ponytail method also keeps puffy roots down to a minimum as long as you make sure your hair is completely dry.

HTH

I rarely use heat on my head. last weekend was the first time that I used heat on my head since the beginning of april (2004). When I don't used head, I don't really get any real movement in my hair. It's healthy though, so that's what counts. I'd just like to have a nice style every now and then, that's all.

Too many products will weigh the hair. One time, I had a really bouncy rollerset when all I did was add the setting creme, allowed it to dry under my bonnet dryer, and just added Hot 6 Oil. That was it.
smile.gif

You may want to limit your use of oils to a bare minimum -- using too much oils, sprays, serums, etc. will actually work AGAINST you and will weigh your hair down, which means no bounce. I found that "less is more" is one trick to light bouncy hair. Rollersetting is very frustrating at first, but is well worth learning because that is the key to my style -- it dries my hair "straight" but leaves it plenty of body and swing. Also, if you wait too long between washes, hair will loose bounce. How often do you wash? How do you dry your hair after washing? What specific moisturizers and oils are you using?

I'm aiming for a straighter look at this time. I used to get my hair wrapped by my hairdresser, but I haven't been to my hair dresser since the beginning of may. I never knew what she put in my hair to make it so straight with shine and body. Does anyone know how the "wrap" goes? I've tried that this weekend to (After rollersetting) and it didn't really collect the moisture that I had in mind. Can anyone help me with the "wrapping"? What should I put in my hair to put this style together right? Thanx.

Neroli, I wash about eery three days and I usually air dry my hair (exept for this weekend was my first time using the IONIC dryer). I mostly use olive, wheatgerm, jojoba, rosemary, soy, carrot, aloe vera, tea tree, and proclaim seven oils. I never use them all at once, but I do try to use the ones my hair seems to need at the time. I sometimes use 'PINK' & "Isoplus" moisturizers too.

I also heard that Salerm 21 works well for the hair. I haven't tried it yet but have been thinking to though.

[ QUOTE ]
Roselyn said:
Neroli, I wash about eery three days and I usually air dry my hair (exept for this weekend was my first time using the IONIC dryer). I mostly use olive, wheatgerm, jojoba, rosemary, soy, carrot, aloe vera, tea tree, and proclaim seven oils. I never use them all at once, but I do try to use the ones my hair seems to need at the time. I sometimes use 'PINK' & "Isoplus" moisturizers too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Washing every 3 days should definately do the trick. The next thing I can suggest is to perhaps try just going easier on the leave-ins. Also, I had very very bad experience with that pink stuff -- it was very heavy and made my hair dry and stiff and definately killed whatever body I had -- but that's just me. You may want to try something creamy and lighter, like giovanni direct, nexxus headdress, salerm, NTM, etc. there are tons of options for leave-ins that will not weigh down hair but still give moisture. Remember, oils DO NOT give moisture, water and humectants do that -- oils help seal in moisture and only tiny bits of oils need to seal. Also, try putting your natural oils in your wash out conditioners instead of using as leave-ins and see what happens (for me, I still get the benefits of the oils, without the heavy oily feel). These are just some things to think about because a lot of this hair care stuff is experimenting to find out what works for you. If you're not achieving the results you want, try doing things a bit different with the stuff you already have and you may find the magic regimen.

I have 4b hair and I achieve bounce and movement as follows:

-wash every 3 to 4 days using contioner only and rollersets
-creamy leave-ins (giovanni, headdress, with just a drop of natural oil to seal)
-nothing else goes on my hair in between washes except for maybe a drop of oil, rub in hands and apply to ENDS ONLY if feeling dry
-I maintain bounce from day to day by sleeping in 2-4 large magenetic rollers.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I'm ALLLL about using less products. Shampoo, deep conditioner, water based leave in, and serum. If you use only that, your hair will blow with have LOTS of bounce and will blow in the wind! My advice would be to find a GOOD DEEP CONDITIONER. If you find a good one, you won't have to load your hair with oils and moisturizers.

I agree with less products. When I would wash and condition my hair, put in some Infusium Leave-In, wet wrap it and sit under the dryer (or airdry like this) my hair was full of body

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:
Try cutting back on the amount of oils and moisturizers that you use. Overuse of oils and moisturizers can actually weigh your hair down making it limp and taking away from the all the movement. Braided hairstyles can hold more product than straight styles.

Whenever I do a rollerset, I use a liquid leave-in, and a serum and a light oil mixed together. It might be a tablespoon of the the serum and oil for my whole head.

Hang in there with the rollersetting, it takes lots of practice and patience. If you like you can also try the ponytail method of rollersetting. Just section your hair into different ponytails and secure with a hair safe elastic band. Then take the loose ends of the ponytails and set them on rollers. Depending on how curly you want the ends, you can use more rollers and also different sizes. Once your hair dries on the ends and at the roots, you can remove the rollers and elastics and either finger comb out the curls or wrap your hair for a looser look.
The ponytail method also keeps puffy roots down to a minimum as long as you make sure your hair is completely dry.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA. This is what I do also for body and movement in my hair.
smile.gif

ITA with the ladies who said less products. All I ever use is a little leave in before I roll my hair (Humectress or whatever I'm experimenting with at the time) then once it's all rolled I'll spray my ORS Olive Oil Spray over it all, sit under the dryer (or airdry) and when the rollers come out.. voila! body and movement.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
have u ever tried airdrying a rollerset? also, u may be using too many products. when I had movement after a rollerset, I just had Motions Nourish leave-in conditioner in my hair
smile.gif
But I have used oils and moisturizers before and never had trouble with no movement; I use them sparingly (dont use too much). Also try airdrying instead of using heat!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly agree with Poohbear - (such a cute name)
I feel that less is more when it coumes to styling if you want more added bounce and luster. You hairs own natural oils will coat your delicate strands causing lots of sheen, especially after a good wash
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cinnabuns said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly agree with Poohbear - (such a cute name)
I feel that less is more when it coumes to styling if you want more added bounce and luster. You hairs own natural oils will coat your delicate strands causing lots of sheen, especially after a good wash
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Cinnabuns...a cute name as well!
grin.gif

I also wanted to add heat can make your hair crispy and stiff sometimes.
smile.gif

Back