Help! How do you take care...

phynestone

of a relaxer? Currently, I use Breakthru's moisturizing shampoo and Suave Humectress conditioner. I don't know what to do after I rinse out my conditioner. Do I put in a leave-in, then a moisturizer? I have 4a/b hair, so if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Girl you sound like me when I first started using this site!! God bless your little heart!! I'm also 4a/b and I'm using Optimum Care's Stay Strong shampoo and conditioner. I also use Suave Humectress about once a week. I limited my use because it made my hair too soft and it started to break off. What I do after washing is add a leave in conditioner. Right now I'm using Aussie's Hair Insurance. Then I take some activator spray and Smooth N' Shines Conditioner Gel and smooth it out throughout my hair, especially the ends. After I moisturize, I put my hair in a bun and let it dry. These products can be very heavy and will collect a lot of dirt so I wash my hair every 3 days (conditioner wash). My hair is very dry and requires as most moisture as possible. Once a week, I use Organic Root Stimulator Mayo Conditioner. For extra slip, I use Pantene's Conditioner for Relaxed/Natural hair. I hope this helps! So far it has worked for me.

Bumping for more responses for 19sweetie

Of course you need to develop a system for taking care of your hair with products that work for you. Some people use a leave-in others don't.

I personally, shampoo at least twice a week - unless I get lazy, then once a week. I condition after every shampoo w/my heating cap for 30 min, I use a creamy protein treatment at least once a month - followed by a moisturizer. I use a leave-in which is basically a little of my regular conditioner added to my hair after I towel dry to help detangle my hair. I try to not use alot of heat in my hair. I either rollerset/airdry or braid/airdry. I normally keep my hair in a protective style. My daily moisturizer depends on how I wear my hair -if I blow dry or rollerset, I use a cream or conditioner/oil mix. If I braid I use world of curls to keep my hair moisturized.

That is the basics for me there are other things that I do, but that should get you started. Remember to be consistent and don't use alot of different products.

Oh and mostly importantly be gentle with your hair. Be careful when detangling, rolling, etc., and use a satin or silk scarf at night time.

Ladies, I know there is more...

How do you know if your hair is moisturized? With my hair now relaxed, I'm not sure how I'll be able to tell. Also, I'm thinking about getting highlights or possibly a rinse, so would I have to use heavier conditioners to keep my hair in shape?

Hey 19sweetie! I never had a lye relaxer til April of this year, so I was asking the same question.

It looks like you've already identified the shampoo and conditioner that suite you.

I style my hair wet in a bun or in ringlets down. I use a leave-in moisturizer (LUST is thick like lotion) OR a leave in conditioner (Razac and Biolage have a liquid consistency and spray on). It's either or for me -- I don't follow the leave-in conditioner with a leave-in moisturizer because I'm a lazy minimalist. When I mix my leave-in with aloe vera, it softens the new growth a bit. I like to finish it all off with some serum to seal in the moisture.

This is the same thing my stylist does at the salon during a rollerset. He sets it by spraying leave-in conditioner on each section of hair. Once it's dry and round-brushed straight, he adds Razac's serum to smooth the fly aways.

If I were you, I would NOT color my relaxed hair until I had a routine that worked without color. Colored hair can turn to brittle straw if not conditionered RELIGIOUSLY, so you'd risk complicating your routine considerably.

Back