HELP!! Hard, Crunchy Hair

Cleve_gryl

I need hair advice yall...This has never happened to me before, this is what I did on Friday:

I touched up with ORS normal relaxer after 16 weeks. After rinsing the relaxer I used Aphogee 2 min for just 2 minutes. Then, I neutralized 3-4 times with the packet of poo in the kit. I then used Porosity Control conditioner for about 5 minutes, rinsed then applied my semi permanent rinse. I left that on my hair for about 30 minutes without heat. I then applied the ORS conditioning pack and went to bed.

Saturday morning, I woke up and hopped in the shower to rinse out the DC and proceeded to rollerset my hair using just water and Lacio Lacio leave in. After taking out the rollers, my hair was so hard I could barely comb through it :nono:. I washed it again Sunday night, and did a DC under heat with Nexxuss Humectin. Its a bit softer, but still crunchy as what!! What did I do wrong?! And what should I do on my Thursday wash day to correct this problem? :sad: Help me please! I've never felt my hair like this before, and refuse to update my fotki until I get my soft hair back. TIA!

Where's the moisture? To me, whenever I hear someone mention crunch, I think moisture deficiency. Do a moisturizing DC and see if that softens things up.

Where's the moisture? To me, whenever I hear someone mention crunch, I think moisture deficiency. Do a moisturizing DC and see if that softens things up.
I did that yesterday after I washed it :sad:. I used Creme of Nature green poo then DC'd with Humectin under heat for 20 minutes...still no likey :nono:. Not enough moisture??

Maybe you should try neutralizing again, and doing another DC with a moisturizing conditioner with heat for 30 or more minutes.

I need hair advice yall...This has never happened to me before, this is what I did on Friday:

I touched up with ORS normal relaxer after 16 weeks. After rinsing the relaxer I used Aphogee 2 min for just 2 minutes. Then, I neutralized 3-4 times with the packet of poo in the kit. I then used Porosity Control conditioner for about 5 minutes, rinsed then applied my semi permanent rinse. I left that on my hair for about 30 minutes without heat. I then applied the ORS conditioning pack and went to bed.

Saturday morning, I woke up and hopped in the shower to rinse out the DC and proceeded to rollerset my hair using just water and Lacio Lacio leave in. After taking out the rollers, my hair was so hard I could barely comb through it :nono:. I washed it again Sunday night, and did a DC under heat with Nexxuss Humectin. Its a bit softer, but still crunchy as what!! What did I do wrong?! And what should I do on my Thursday wash day to correct this problem? :sad: Help me please! I've never felt my hair like this before, and refuse to update my fotki until I get my soft hair back. TIA!

I just posted on another thread that ORS OORP jacked up my hair leaving it in from protein overload

but I think for you it was a combo of the aphogee and the ORS , too much protein

You gotta do the same thing as was said on the other thread ditch all protein for a while and only use moisture! and leave oils in your hair!

Last edited:
Maybe you should try neutralizing again, and doing another DC with a moisturizing conditioner with heat for 30 or more minutes.
I thought about doing that yesterday but didn't want to strip my semi rinse...I may just need to do that this week.

FlawedBeauty said:
do you always do the aphogee and the ors pak??

Yes, the only thing I did different this touch up was the rinse.

I just posted on another thread that ORS OORP jacked up my hair leaving it in from protein overload

but I think for you it was a combo of the aphogee and the ORS , too much protein

You gotta do the same thing as was said on the other thread ditch all protein for a while and only use moisture! and leave oils in your hair!
I guess this is what protein overload feels like...Do you think using some Coconut Oil during the week will help soften my situation until my next wash/DC day??

I guess this is what protein overload feels like...Do you think using some Coconut Oil during the week will help soften my situation until my next wash/DC day??

it might but sometimes it takes time, do it on wet hair if you can and I think it should help, or even on dry hair if you have to, if you can,do as much moisturizing DC'ing , even it it means nightly, and use a good leave in (with no protein) with the oil daily, you gotta come at with every angle! :yep:

just keep at it until its better and depending on how bad it is it might take time, up to months or even just a few days

Ive been through both!

I did that yesterday after I washed it :sad:. I used Creme of Nature green poo then DC'd with Humectin under heat for 20 minutes...still no likey :nono:. Not enough moisture??

I say DC on dry hair with moisturizing conditioner. Skip the shampoo. Use a good leave in.

I thought about doing that yesterday but didn't want to strip my semi rinse...I may just need to do that this week.

Yes, the only thing I did different this touch up was the rinse.

Protein kinda builds up over time so what was working suddenly can become a disaster! like me, I was using the ORS and loving it and then blam over time my hair was totally jacked! The ORS is not a safe bet for a leave in even over night or with use with another protein conditioner at the same time,or with use over time leaving it in, it has one of the harder proteins in it I think

Keratin and animal hydrolyzed protein and collagen are the strongest

silk, and wheat being softer

If I remember correctly

Sounds like too much protein to me. Aphogee, porosity control, plus ORS is a lot of protein. Plus, you added the rinse which also added another layer on your hair. What kind of oil do you use? Try steaming your hair and then applying a light oil all over and just let it soften things up on Thursday. In the mean time, yes, coconut oil will be good. If you want to do something quick fast, rinse your hair right quick with some ACV and then do a moisterizing DC. If you have some mango butter, that is a nice light topical protein that you can use if the ACV takes too much away.

Sounds like too much protein to me. Aphogee, porosity control, plus ORS is a lot of protein. Plus, you added the rinse which also added another layer on your hair. What kind of oil do you use? Try steaming your hair and then applying a light oil all over and just let it soften things up on Thursday. In the mean time, yes, coconut oil will be good. If you want to do something quick fast, rinse your hair right quick with some ACV and then do a moisterizing DC. If you have some mango butter, that is a nice light topical protein that you can use if the ACV takes too much away.

just what i was about to say:drunk:

You may also want to try baggying with lots of moisture over night. That might soften it up too. Or just do a wet bun tonight.

Last edited:

for me....

Mango Butter is drying , ACV is drying!

I would steer clear of both with hard tangly hair already

because they both can do the same thing to it again

only moisture moisture moisture, no stripping or removing moisture, or products with things that will dry out your hair or protein (Mango Butter=Squalene I think is drying plus it has protein too)

Ingredients for Mango Butter
Ingredients:
Aqua(purified water), squalane(olive oil derived), caprylic/capric triglyceride(coconut oil derived), peg-75 lanolin, behntrimonium methosulfate, hexadecanol, cetearyl alcohol, ceterareth-20, dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, mangifera indica (MANG0) seed butter, theobroma cacao (COCOA) seed butter, hydrolyzed silk, serica, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, fragrance, fd&c yellow no.5 (CI 19140)

for me....

Mango Butter is drying , ACV is drying!

I would steer clear of both with hard tangly hair already

because they both can do the same thing to it again

only moisture moisture moisture, no stripping or removing moisture, or products with things that will dry out your hair or protein (Mango Butter=Squalene I think is drying plus it has protein too)

Ingredients for Mango Butter
Ingredients:
Aqua(purified water), squalane(olive oil derived), caprylic/capric triglyceride(coconut oil derived), peg-75 lanolin, behntrimonium methosulfate, hexadecanol, cetearyl alcohol, ceterareth-20, dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, mangifera indica (MANG0) seed butter, theobroma cacao (COCOA) seed butter, hydrolyzed silk, serica, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, fragrance, fd&c yellow no.5 (CI 19140)

Do you think the ACV will pull off some of that excess protein though? Those are alot of ingredients. . . I was talking about pure mango butter. But I agree that is a lot going on, is that the QP Elasta?

I have all of that...ACV,QP mango butter, pure mango, shea...I'll do anything at this point :ohwell: I have this straw pulled into a bun right now, I'm afraid to take it down.

Do you think the ACV will pull off some of that excess protein though? Those are alot of ingredients. . . I was talking about pure mango butter. But I agree that is a lot going on, is that the QP Elasta?

I think with protein overload its already saturated and not even on top of the hair anymore. so clarifying will make matter worse and not do anything about the protein at all

oh and yeah pure Mango Butter is wayyyy better although a little crumbly! yeah thats the QP ingredients,

I have all of that...ACV,QP mango butter, pure mango, shea...I'll do anything at this point :ohwell: I have this straw pulled into a bun right now, I'm afraid to take it down.

Have you wet it since? go ahead and oil it up, for now, stay away from the mango butter, I was talking about in the future if you feel low on protein, put it on your hair. Call me crazy, but I've even heard people say that crisco(the white kind in the can) has some serious softness going on your hair. I've never tried. I'm scurrred.

I'm about to go greeze it up, I'm going to try some shea, mango butter, coconut oil and maybe even baggy this mess overnight. I washed and rollerset last night, so I don't want to wash it again until Thursday.

I'm about to go greeze it up, I'm going to try some shea, mango butter, coconut oil and maybe even baggy this mess overnight. I washed and rollerset last night, so I don't want to wash it again until Thursday.

Sounds good, except cut out the mango since it has protein. And don't forget to add some water in there too. remember oils can't add moisture, but they can seal it in. So spritz your hair with water then oil it up.

Thanks for your help yall!! I'll post my results tomorrow, lets pray this helps between now and wash day :look:
I hope it all works out.

I would like to add u should skip the coconut oil because coconut oil is used to prevent protien loss in the hair. This could seal that excess protein in. It also moisturizes and strengthens ur hair. So right now I think u should just use the shea butter or if u have EVOO till ur out of the protein overload faze.

ETA: Just to add a few links that also state this about coconut oil preventing protein loss
http://www.coconoil.co.uk/virgin_coconut_oil/beauty.html
http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_oil_skin.html
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/12-23-2004-63356.asp

Last edited:
I hope it all works out.

I would like to add u should skip the coconut oil because coconut oil is used to prevent protien loss in the hair. This could seal that excess protein in. It also moisturizes and strengthens ur hair. So right now I think u should just use the shea butter or if u have EVOO till ur out of the protein overload faze.

ETA: Just to add a few links that also state this about coconut oil preventing protein loss
http://www.coconoil.co.uk/virgin_coconut_oil/beauty.html
http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_oil_skin.html
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/12-23-2004-63356.asp

Hmmm, once again - did not know that!:scratchch Everything I have been doing to my hair is falling into place. Thanks :notworthy

coconut oil is used to prevent protien loss in the hair. This could seal that excess protein in. It also moisturizes and strengthens ur hair.

so could coconut oil along with saa (although light) cause protein overload? cause my hair is VERY sensitive to protein, and coco oil doesn't give me that softness i always hear about, nor does saa make my hair feel super silky like i thought

tootrendy19
Hmmm, once again - did not know that!:scratchch Everything I have been doing to my hair is falling into place. Thanks :notworthy
Ur welcome hun
me-T
so could coconut oil along with saa (although light) cause protein overload? cause my hair is VERY sensitive to protein, and coco oil doesn't give me that softness i always hear about, nor does saa make my hair feel super silky like i thought
No they wont cause protein overload. But if u already have protein overload its best to give them a break till u get ur proper moisture/protein balance back.
My hair is protein sensitive as well but my hair loves saa and virgin coco oil
What I do is monitor my protein in my shampoos and conditioners.
I only use the products that have medium to heavy protein when my hair needs a boast like once a month or after every re-touch or only prepoo with them sometimes. But saa I can use all the time as well as virgin coco oil.

Back