Help for trimming natural hair myself

blueMoon

I went to a natural hair salon in SF today to get my hair done. It was probably the best I've gone to yet. The stylist didn't rush to do my hair. The salon uses mostly low-poo/no poo products. The stylist showed me exactly what she was using on my hair and explained to me why. She was gentle with my hair and detangled with her fingers when I asked. I went there to get my hair trimmed. After previous unhappy encounters with previous stylists, I watched as the ends got snipped off, but I still lost quite a bit of length in my opinion(1+ inches). My ends were pretty ragged in some sections, but I wish I could have kept more of my growth since it's slow to grow in the first place. I don't go to salons often as it is, but I would definitely go back to that salon for anything special I'd want to do to my hair that I couldn't manage myself.

I've been natural for almost 6 years and my hair hasn't made it past APL post-stylist-trim, which is really frustrating.:( I've had to start over twice from having my hair burned to death by previous stylists, so for the most part I've been doing my hair myself. I'm considering doing trims myself in the future.

Are there any naturals on the board that trim their own hair? How do you go about doing this? Do you snip ends off of twisted sections or do you flatiron your hair first and then snip off the ends? Where's a good place in the SF bay area or on the peninsula to get a suitable pair of shears for trimming hair? How often do you trim? I'd like to start retaining more length, but I think that will happen only if I take shearing matters into my own hands.

Thanks for the help.:)

*bumping*

Hi There, I just wanted to suggest that you do a search on the board about trims and self hair care. I am going to be doing my own trims and have found some info this way.

I have trimmed my own hair before and I did that by flatironing and then parting my hair down the middle - trimming a little off each section of hair. Not worried about the evenness b/c I would always see a stylist at least every 6 months. Not the method I'm using now since I won't be seeing a stylist anymore.

Your hair is so pretty and thick! :) I trim my hair every 6 months. While it is still wet and detangled I go through it all around with a small comb and snip the ends. I dont worry about the evenness since I only do it twice a year. So far so good.

I used to trim every couple months whenever my ends felt crispy or I had an especially difficult time detangling. I would just twist and clip the ends. This was effective until I wanted to wear my hair straight. Then my sister had to neaten it up for me.

I never use heat! And I'm not fond of stylist. So, when I trim I clip the ends of my hair while in twists. I learned this technique on www.nappturality.com Trim my ends as I feel it is needed, which isn't very often. Be sure to use sharp shears to prevent split and damaged ends. Good luck to you.

I've started to look around for a pair of shears that I like. I will take turns to see which trimming meathod works best for me. I hope in 3 - 6 months I'm sporting some retained length :)

hairlove, what method are you currently using?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

blueMoon said:
hairlove, what method are you currently using?

I will be doing something similar to my original method but I will try to make it more precise versus just trimming section by section since I'm trying to even up my layers.

Back