Help Expensive braids and pain

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Well i got these braids so i could keep my hands out of my hair but i feel like they are pulling out my hair. during the braiding and 2 days after they felt tight on my head. when i told her they felt tight she said they are supposed to be a little snug when you have extension hair braided in but after a few days it will go away. so 2 days have passed and they didnt bother me at all. so today i thought they could use a bit of freshening up so i decided to do a co wash with HE LTR. now it feels as if my scalp is burning and everything feels tight times 100. but it comes and goes in intervals:perplexed tight burning sensation for a minute or two and it goes away then it comes back etc etc.
I feel like just taking them out but time and money was wasted on them. and its only been 3 days. should i wait and see if the burning subsides after a week and take them out then?

Now most may disagree with me but...I get my hair braided often and I get them really long and the price is some where around 130! So there would be almost nothing that would make me take the braids out after 3 days.
I usually let the lady know not to do it too tight or take small sections to braid with in advanced.
But there are times when the braids are tight after the first couple of days. I usually don't pull the braids in any way and let then loosen up on their own after a few days. I really don't even touch the braids. I don't wet it for a couple of weeks because I wash my hair before getting the braids put in. I can imagine with all of that pulling putting products in it might burn!
For right now I think (depending on how much pain it is and the price) You can either wait it out...or maybe try going back to the same lady and tell her that it hurts too bad maybe she will redo the really tight ones looser.
Sorry feel better!

I think in a day or so you will be fine. Use some braid spray or something to soothe your scalp. I am in braids now also to give my hair a break and they were tight for about three days or so. I don't let her do them so tight that I am in pain though. My fragile hair couldn't take it.

I would take them out ASAP. But I'm no braid expert, just so many people have lost so much hair, especially their hairlines, due to too-tight braids. To me it's just not worth it.

ETA: Just looked at your fotki, your natural hair is super duper beautiful! I hope everything works out.

Last edited:
I think in a day or so you will be fine. Use some braid spray or something to soothe your scalp. I am in braids now also to give my hair a break and they were tight for about three days or so. I don't let her do them so tight that I am in pain though. My fragile hair couldn't take it.

I agree with this post you will probably be okay in a few days. Braids aren't like your regular hair, I wouldn't be co-washing on the 3rd day, you should do less to them until they loosen up.

I went to your album but you don't have photos of the braids yet. Can you post some.

If it is really hurting you then you may need to go ahead and take them out.
Is is causing any hair bumps or redness, if not then you will probably be ok.

What type of braids are they? cornrows? tiny microws? box braids?
And how long are the extensions?

And you should just squirt your scalp with some African Royale braid spray.
That stuff is great.

Last edited:
If I knew around 2 years ago what I know now I would take them out. My hair was severly damaged due to braids. That is what caused me to do the BC. JMHO.

I went to your album but you don't have photos of the braids yet. Can you post some.

If it is really hurting you then you may need to go ahead and take them out.
Is is causing any hair bumps or redness, if not then you will probably be ok.

What type of braids are they? cornrows? tiny microws? box braids?
And how long are the extensions?

And you should just squirt your scalp with some African Royale braid spray.
That stuff is great.

I posted them just now. the thing is i dont see any bumps or anything. and i keep looking to see if the hair is bing pulled to hard. everything looks fine. maybe i have an extra sensitive scalp? and since i cowashed they are a bit fuzzy:ohwell: what should i do. i want to keep them for at least 2 weeks

Have you ever had these braids before? What kind of hair is it? Sometimes the burning could be a sign of an allergic reaction to the chemicals they use in processing the hair especially if you've never used this particular type before.

Do you see any small bumps around your hairline or in your parts? or even on the sides of your face where they hair might've come in contact? Small bumps around the hairline is a definite sign that they are too tight. Bumps on the sides of your face means you may be allergic to the hair.

And is your scalp sore or just burning? And have you ever used the HE before? And what about the braid spray you are using? I think you said before you co-washed everything was ok. If that's the case, it may be a reaction to the HE, the braid spray, or to the hair chemicals that have released themselves when you wet the hair. Just something else to think about. I found that I'm allergic to that Clairal Herbal Braid Spray and it made my hair and scalp sore in the way you described. It would come and go. Not consistent.

My rec would be to get some seabreeze (yes, the astringent) dilute it a little, spray it lightly on the scalp, let it set for a few minutes, rinse and co-wash again, then apply a light oil to your scalp and don't use anything 'new' if you have been. If that doesn't work, you may have to take them out cuz something is going on wrong.

They don't look like they are braided to tight in the front but in the back they look a little tight. If you see any signs of redness, bumps or white bulbs of hair you should take them out. If you just don't feel comfortable with them in you should take them out. I know you may have paid alot but I would prefer you take them out than risk any scalp damage. Have you tried spray them with braid spray and oiling your scalp.

Sidenote: I paid like 125 for some cornrows one time and took them down the next day because they were to tight the lady literally braided every single strand of hair on my head to the point I didn't sleep at night. I didn't even let my SO at the time see me until I took those braids out. So if your mind is telling you take them down...take them down. HHG

Have you ever had these braids before? What kind of hair is it? Sometimes the burning could be a sign of an allergic reaction to the chemicals they use in processing the hair especially if you've never used this particular type before.

Do you see any small bumps around your hairline or in your parts? or even on the sides of your face where they hair might've come in contact? Small bumps around the hairline is a definite sign that they are too tight. Bumps on the sides of your face means you may be allergic to the hair.

And is your scalp sore or just burning? And have you ever used the HE before? And what about the braid spray you are using? I think you said before you co-washed everything was ok. If that's the case, it may be a reaction to the HE, the braid spray, or to the hair chemicals that have released themselves when you wet the hair. Just something else to think about. I found that I'm allergic to that Clairal Herbal Braid Spray and it made my hair and scalp sore in the way you described. It would come and go. Not consistent.

My rec would be to get some seabreeze (yes, the astringent) dilute it a little, spray it lightly on the scalp, let it set for a few minutes, rinse and co-wash again, then apply a light oil to your scalp and don't use anything 'new' if you have been. If that doesn't work, you may have to take them out cuz something is going on wrong.

ITA with the bolded. I was just reading on www.growafrohairlong.com that kanekalon hair has to be dipped in a sink of hot water to which 2 cups of regular vinegar has been added and soaked for 15 minutes, rinse off then hung until dry. This is because the alkaline base irritates the scalp of some people. Robin also suggested that the day after the braids are out, to wash your braided hair under the shower (she goes on to share how that's done in the C & G shampoo regimen). I guess you can check out her site, it is very informative for persons using her crown & glory technique. HTH.

ITA with the bolded. I was just reading on www.growafrohairlong.com that kanekalon hair has to be dipped in a sink of hot water to which 2 cups of regular vinegar has been added and soaked for 15 minutes, rinse off then hung until dry. This is because the alkaline base irritates the scalp of some people. Robin also suggested that the day after the braids are out, to wash your braided hair under the shower (she goes on to share how that's done in the C & G shampoo regimen). I guess you can check out her site, it is very informative for persons using her crown & glory technique. HTH.

Thanks for this info! I am going to get braids next month and this is good to know.

They don't look like they are braided to tight in the front but in the back they look a little tight. If you see any signs of redness, bumps or white bulbs of hair you should take them out. If you just don't feel comfortable with them in you should take them out. I know you may have paid alot but I would prefer you take them out than risk any scalp damage. Have you tried spray them with braid spray and oiling your scalp.

Sidenote: I paid like 125 for some cornrows one time and took them down the next day because they were to tight the lady literally braided every single strand of hair on my head to the point I didn't sleep at night. I didn't even let my SO at the time see me until I took those braids out. So if your mind is telling you take them down...take them down. HHG
Agreed I recently had a bad extension experience, and the weave was sewin in so tight that my scalp was red and blistering, if you have any of those symptoms take them out immediately please.

Spray some oil or braid spray on them to try and get them to loosen up. If that doesn't help squirt some conditioner at the root or rinse them.

ETA: I just reread your post and you said you got a burning sensation after co washing which makes me think you're having an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the hair. It usually makes my head itch for a few days and then it goes away. I would suggest trying some sea breeze or tea tree oil on your scalp but I think that might make the burning worse. Do they feel like they're pulling bc they're too tight? Or is it just your actual scalp that's bothering you?

Last edited:
Sorry you are going thru that! What about taking some of the braids around the edges out, that may relieve some of the tension. I do this most times because braiders want to get every hair. I agree with Glam about using some oil, hot water in the shower has helped me but I didnt use anything like conditioner.

Thanks for this info! I am going to get braids next month and this is good to know.

You're quite welcomed Zawaj. I'm getting my hair braided on this coming Sunday and I already bought my kanekalon hair and will be washing it out with the vinegar and hot water on Saturday. I'm gonna be looking for an original infusium 23 leave-in treatment, a moisturizing black gel and the African Royale BRX braid sheen spray as well. I can't wait for my braids. I am trying to stretch my relaxer to at least 24 weeks and I'm now 13 weeks post.

well my hair is dry now. it was damp from the co wash before and it feels fine now:ohwell:. im thinking its the hair itself. It was some random hair i bought. i dont think im gonna co wash these babies again:nono:

Hi there Napp!!!

Just a word of advice - I would recommend NOT buying any random hair, that can cause problems.

I am sorry that you have gone through this. It is always scary with braiders… that is why I finally broke down and learned how to braid myself.

On Another note – here is some info that I hope will be helpful to those will go a’ Braiding…….
Happy Braiding!!!!!!!

This info that I compiled helped me to be brave enough to braid my own hair!

How to do Braids/ braiding videos:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com

http://www.braidsbybreslin.com

http://www.doctoredlocks.com

Tips for great braids
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=70318

What type of hair to use/ Hair Reviews
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=62285

Pros and cons of Braids
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29499&KW=

How do I tie off the ends?
http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/microbraid/microbraid.pdf

Relaxing before Braids??????

This is a big no – no….. Remember your hair has been stretched to its limit – tension caused by braiding could be severely detrimental if you RELAX and Braid. Wait at least 4 to 6 weeks before attempting braided styles.

Prepping hair before braiding

I began doing this a few years ago….Some people think that I am silly for doing this – but – I have had great results…so here it goes……..I also do this to see how thehair will respond to WATER. if it tangles and acts up before you install - then you won't be sorry later.

BRAIDING HAIR PREPARATION

A bit of Information:

Most of the Human Hair that we can find in the local BSS - has a silicone wash to keep it from tangling....

Remy hair may be the exception.......

So this is what I do..Apply Leave ins.

Most of the "silky, shiny," stuff - Conditioners, and shine products are just that... silicone based, so these will work well on BSS hair.....

I make sure that I spray my Extension/Braiding hair with any Silicone product ( cause they are pretty much all the same)

I tend not to use those products on my OWN hair( unless I flat iron my hair)... but on the extension hair only....

Most commercial conditioners have a slip-type silicone in them... NOT all.... but many of them...
So - since the hair is DEAD and won't last too long anyway.... add your own silicone! This will provide few tangles, and will soften your hair whilst braiding

HUMAN hair PREP:

1. Wash with Dr. Bronner's Castille soap - gentle... in warm water, in a kitchen tub.. I add a squirt of condish ( African Pride leave in, or clear leave in, Creme of Nature Condish ) to the water...

This step also allows for any dyes on the hair to wash away, and not irritate your scalp.

2. Rinse with cold water. Squeeze out the excess.

3. While still wet, add a clear leave in(African Pride, 911, Africa's best, etc), pouring it directly on the hair and down the shaft. (I DO NOT USE INFUSIUM, IMO - it is too strong for me....)

4. I use any silicone product ( except Biosilk - too much alcohol for me.... others include frizzease, sebatians, or any other glossing product) and By hand I rub it down the hair,
or:
spray a silicone product on the hair.
( Suggested: Frizz ease, Spray & Shine, Sebastian, etc same as above)

5. Hang to dry. Allow to dry for 12 hours.

The RESULT????

WOW..... totally different hair ........ There are fewer tangles, and the hair is soft and more manageable.

SYNTHETIC HAIR PREP (Kanekalon, Toyokolon, Pro 10, etc.) ( modified Crown & Glory technique)

1. Add a small amount (1/4 cup) of vinegar & a Bit of Leave in ) to a large tub of Hot tap water(Not boiling). soak it for 10 minutes

3. While still wet, add a clear leave in, pouring it directly on the hair and down the shaft.

4. I use any silicone product ( except Biosilk - too much alcohol for me) and By hand I rub it down the hair, or I spray a spray a silicone product on the hair.

( Suggested serums: Frizz ease, Spray & Shine, Sebastian, Ion, etc )

5. Hang to dry. The Hair should be dry within 12 to 24 hours.

Moisturizers and leave ins to use/ Care for your hair after Braiding
- any braid spray that puts moisture in your hair is of PRIMARY importance.

I personally use lots of homemade sprays.

Excellent Tips for Kanekalon Hair
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33234&KW=

Tips for Pro10 Hair
http://www.ultimahair.com/downloads/ultimacareguide.pdf

Removing Braids

http://growafrohairlong.com/takingoutplaits.html

^^ Where was this info when I needed it? Thanks for posting this! I'll keep that in mind for my next set of braids or sew-in weaves.:look:

Good advice in this thread! :yep: One thing I ended up doing was wrapping a warm/hot towel around my head. (made me feel better)

Also there's a sulfur braid spray that is da schiznit. It kept me from scratching like crazy once the braids got older. I'm trying to remember the name of it:look: It comes in a white bottle with purple and green lettering....

Better braids Medicated Braid spray!

product421_fullsize.jpg

This stuff worked pretty well for me. Their un-braid spray was awesome. It's for taking the braids out. It makes the hair gummy but it's worth it to get braids out without loads of breakage.:yep: Put it on a day or so before you take them out to let it soak in then again right before you take them out. It's goot schtuff.

I would take them out ASAP. But I'm no braid expert, just so many people have lost so much hair, especially their hairlines, due to too-tight braids. To me it's just not worth it.

ETA: Just looked at your fotki, your natural hair is super duper beautiful! I hope everything works out.

As someone who has had breakage from tight braids, if it's still hurting after a few days take them out.

In future, wash the hair first, it really does make a difference.

Hi there Napp!!!

Just a word of advice - I would recommend NOT buying any random hair, that can cause problems.

I am sorry that you have gone through this. It is always scary with braiders… that is why I finally broke down and learned how to braid myself.

On Another note – here is some info that I hope will be helpful to those will go a’ Braiding…….
Happy Braiding!!!!!!!

This info that I compiled helped me to be brave enough to braid my own hair!

How to do Braids/ braiding videos:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com

http://www.braidsbybreslin.com

http://www.doctoredlocks.com

Tips for great braids
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=70318

What type of hair to use/ Hair Reviews
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=62285

Pros and cons of Braids
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29499&KW=

How do I tie off the ends?
http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/microbraid/microbraid.pdf

Relaxing before Braids??????

This is a big no – no….. Remember your hair has been stretched to its limit – tension caused by braiding could be severely detrimental if you RELAX and Braid. Wait at least 4 to 6 weeks before attempting braided styles.

Prepping hair before braiding

I began doing this a few years ago….Some people think that I am silly for doing this – but – I have had great results…so here it goes……..I also do this to see how thehair will respond to WATER. if it tangles and acts up before you install - then you won't be sorry later.

BRAIDING HAIR PREPARATION
A bit of Information:

Most of the Human Hair that we can find in the local BSS - has a silicone wash to keep it from tangling....

Remy hair may be the exception.......

So this is what I do..Apply Leave ins.

Most of the "silky, shiny," stuff - Conditioners, and shine products are just that... silicone based, so these will work well on BSS hair.....

I make sure that I spray my Extension/Braiding hair with any Silicone product ( cause they are pretty much all the same)

I tend not to use those products on my OWN hair( unless I flat iron my hair)... but on the extension hair only....

Most commercial conditioners have a slip-type silicone in them... NOT all.... but many of them...
So - since the hair is DEAD and won't last too long anyway.... add your own silicone! This will provide few tangles, and will soften your hair whilst braiding

HUMAN hair PREP:

1. Wash with Dr. Bronner's Castille soap - gentle... in warm water, in a kitchen tub.. I add a squirt of condish ( African Pride leave in, or clear leave in, Creme of Nature Condish ) to the water...

This step also allows for any dyes on the hair to wash away, and not irritate your scalp.

3. While still wet, add a clear leave in(African Pride, 911, Africa's best, etc), pouring it directly on the hair and down the shaft. (I DO NOT USE INFUSIUM, IMO - it is too strong for me....)

4. I use any silicone product ( except Biosilk - too much alcohol for me.... others include frizzease, sebatians, or any other glossing product) and By hand I rub it down the hair,
or:
spray a silicone product on the hair.
( Suggested: Frizz ease, Spray & Shine, Sebastian, etc same as above)

5. Hang to dry. Allow to dry for 12 hours.
The RESULT????

WOW..... totally different hair ........ There are fewer tangles, and the hair is soft and more manageable.

SYNTHETIC HAIR PREP (Kanekalon, Toyokolon, Pro 10, etc.) ( modified Crown & Glory technique)

1. Add a small amount (1/4 cup) of vinegar & a Bit of Leave in ) to a large tub of Hot tap water(Not boiling). soak it for 10 minutes

3. While still wet, add a clear leave in, pouring it directly on the hair and down the shaft.

4. I use any silicone product ( except Biosilk - too much alcohol for me) and By hand I rub it down the hair, or I spray a spray a silicone product on the hair.
( Suggested serums: Frizz ease, Spray & Shine, Sebastian, Ion, etc )

5. Hang to dry. The Hair should be dry within 12 to 24 hours.

Moisturizers and leave ins to use/ Care for your hair after Braiding
- any braid spray that puts moisture in your hair is of PRIMARY importance.
I personally use lots of homemade sprays.

Excellent Tips for Kanekalon Hair
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33234&KW=

Tips for Pro10 Hair
http://www.ultimahair.com/downloads/ultimacareguide.pdf

Removing Braids
[URL="http://growafrohairlong.com/takingoutplaits.html"]http://growafrohairlong.com/takingoutplaits.html
[/URL]

Thank you so much SJ67. This post is very helpful for me seeing that I will be starting to braid my hair this coming sunday. I will be alternating them with wigs/falls as well during the 4 weeks before braiding and the 4 weeks after braids but before the next relaxer.

Back