Help!!!! Exercise and Hair Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAHOGNEY329

Future ESQ. w/nice hair:)
Hello All. I have just joined the forum. I was wondering if any of you hair savvy ladies can give me advice on how to maintain my hair when I exercise. I have medium lenght relaxed hair. I have tried wrapping it up and tying it down with a scarf and keeping that on while I work out....But the end result is usually frizzy hair!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
grin.gif

I would suggest that you do a braid out. A braid out is when you braid your hair in a style. I like to braid my hair in corn rows overnight and unbraid it in the morning. During the day it's curly and I can work out all I want. The sweat from my workout actually hyrdrates my curls and make them look better.

Ladies, would you agree with me? For years I didn't want to excerise because I was too concerned about my hair messing up........that's why I'm overweight now!
frown.gif
My hair is always pretty though
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Barbi said:
I would suggest that you do a braid out. A braid out is when you braid your hair in a style. I like to braid my hair in corn rows overnight and unbraid it in the morning. During the day it's curly and I can work out all I want. The sweat from my workout actually hyrdrates my curls and make them look better.

Ladies, would you agree with me? For years I didn't want to excerise because I was too concerned about my hair messing up........that's why I'm overweight now!
frown.gif
My hair is always pretty though
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
Well I have to admit that sometimes my braid-outs are so pretty I still think about it twice.
laugh.gif
Then I remember summer is coming and you can't fit in those itty-bitty clothes w/this body!!!

Welcome
newbie.gif
. Before I started "braiding-out" I always wore my hair in a braided ponytail w/a headband (cloth). The headband kept my hairline in check and the braid stopped me from puffing up so much. When I got home I would immediately take my hair down. Not loosen it much and then make a bun by twisting my hair, secured w/a scruchy. Then I would take my scarf and tie it tightly. I never touched my hair again until morning. I would have a nice wave from the twisting so the next morning I would clip it up and go.

Hey Mahogeny,
I workout a lot. I just have to wear a bun or do a wash and wear style. I have to rinse the sweat out every other day or so b/c it causes breakage (for my hair anyway). Also, like the others said try a braid out. Welcome to the forum.

I say follow everyone's advice---but also, if you make sure your workout days are consecutive, you can wear the braidout those days in row and then rest of the days wear your hair the way you normally like to.
smile.gif

Even though you shouldn't use cotton scarves, you could probably use one as a scarf b/c cotton absorbs moisture.

[ QUOTE ]
MAHOGNEY329 said:
Hello All. I have just joined the forum. I was wondering if any of you hair savvy ladies can give me advice on how to maintain my hair when I exercise. I have medium lenght relaxed hair. I have tried wrapping it up and tying it down with a scarf and keeping that on while I work out....But the end result is usually frizzy hair!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey girl i'm in south atlanta also (that's also where my gym is located) i just do a bun and i go to the gym and sweat up a storm. best advice, consider your hairstyle a victim of your quest for a nice body and pamper it and look cute on the 1 or 2 days that you dont go to the gym
smile.gif
this is what i do. other than that and i would be a big ole slob eating bon-bons with a tight *** hairstyle
lachen70.gif
-- jainygirl

Welcome Mahogney329!

I exercise at home in the evenings and I usually braid up my hair for the night or I wear a braid out. As I mentioned on another thread, I keep a fan blowing cool air on me during my workout so I'm not sweating as much. It really helps a lot.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
MAHOGNEY329 said:
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey girl i'm in south atlanta also (that's also where my gym is located) i just do a bun and i go to the gym and sweat up a storm. best advice, consider your hairstyle a victim of your quest for a nice body and pamper it and look cute on the 1 or 2 days that you dont go to the gym
smile.gif
this is what i do. other than that and i would be a big ole slob eating bon-bons with a tight *** hairstyle
lachen70.gif
-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
I'm glad my husband doesn't come to this forum. He's been telling me to do the same thing for over a year now, but I wasn't trying to wash my wig everyday
grin.gif

Thank you for all the suggestions. It is really difficult to have to choose between having a pretty head or a physically fit body!!!!!! I will try the braid out thing tonight so please wish me luck
ooo.gif

When wearing the braid out during exercise, do you guys leave your hair down or do you guys put it up?
confused.gif

I never wear my hair down. It's always in a clip (but all my hair doesn't fit), so it's also pinned-up. I wear a head band too.

[ QUOTE ]
MAHOGNEY329 said:
jainygirl, do you work out at the run n shoot?

[/ QUOTE ]

i sure do!!!!
grin.gif
do you go there also?

Yeah girl............I have been going there almost a year now:) I love the fact that it is all black and you can hear our type of music!!!!!!! But it is hazardous on the head
mad.gif

What if u exercise almost everyday and dont want to wear a braidout most of the week?

Is it okay to wear a ponytail while exercising?????????????

[ QUOTE ]
MAHOGNEY329 said:
Yeah girl............I have been going there almost a year now:) I love the fact that it is all black and you can hear our type of music!!!!!!! But it is hazardous on the head
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True and true
laugh.gif
yeah, i like the music thing too. it makes the time fly while i'm working out
smile.gif
i like the music and dont feel bad, i get a kick outta some of those girls that strut in there with the 'do did and the makeup intact acting like they really think theyre about to work something out
lachen70.gif
they dont be trying to work out nothin but the guys on the b-ball courts
laugh.gif
--- jainygirl

Back