Help! detangled matted hair from braiding

kristina

I've discovered the hard way why you should carefully part the hair when braiding. I'm taking out my braids little by little and I have noticed major matting in the back. I'm soaking my braids with EVOO as usual but the matting is still there and I'm afraid to comb it. I'm not totally in a panic because it doesn't seem to be hard enough to need cutting but I want to lose as little hair as possible. Does anyone know how I should go about detangling my hair. Should I try fingercombing while my hair is dry (and oily)? Or should I apply a conditioner to wet hair. TIA.

You'll need a very large amount of olive oil. After you saturate your entire head with olive oil, take you hair in small, no bigger than pencil sized sections with your fingers. Be very generous with the olive oil and literally rub and press the olive oil into the matted section. Start at the root & work your way down the strands, applying the oil liberally every micro-inch of the way. It will eventually loosen up. It will take time & patience but the olive oil will work the tangles out.

I had something similar awhile ago...

I would go for a moisturizing conditioner and let it marinate back there. You need elasticity and slip when trying to work out knots in matted hair.

After the conditioner has been in there for awhile... (30 mins+) start out with your fingers and a comb... comb the hair beneath the knot first... and then use your fingers to try to separate the matted hair. When you feel like the mats are separated, you can gently use a comb to detangle the smaller knots. I start with a wide toothed comb and work my way down to combs where the teeth were placed closer and closer together. Take your time. If you get frustrated... just let it sit for awhile (with con) and then come back to it after a break.

Finally...a bit of advice from the domican lady who did my hair the last time... "Jew mus' show de hair who is boss, eh?" ... don't pull your hair out...but, don't be too ginger with it... or you won't really detangle it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice ladies- I'm going to try to detangle the some of the back with evoo & conditioner tonight.

I agree with the ladies!
Saturate with conditioner/oil & finger comb!!
Take as long as needed to seperate the hair & try to leave the comb out of it... :look:

Awww, i'm sorry Kristina. I don't have any advice, but I hope everything works out...keep us posted.

I'm sorry this happened to you...this happened to my girlfriend awhile back, I had her deep condition...didn't know the EVOO trick. Anyway, good luck, just be very patient!

This may sound odd but it works for me. I wash my braids before I take them out with con and a leave-in conditioner. I find that this way my braids just slip right out with ease and makes the comb out much easier. Good luck!

kristina said:
I've discovered the hard way why you should carefully part the hair when braiding. I'm taking out my braids little by little and I have noticed major matting in the back. I'm soaking my braids with EVOO as usual but the matting is still there and I'm afraid to comb it. I'm not totally in a panic because it doesn't seem to be hard enough to need cutting but I want to lose as little hair as possible. Does anyone know how I should go about detangling my hair. Should I try fingercombing while my hair is dry (and oily)? Or should I apply a conditioner to wet hair. TIA.

Completely detangle the hair while it's dry. Use a good conditioner. Get a friend or someone to help you if it's really bad and don't shampoo it until you've completely detangled it all. I have Better Braids Unbraid Ease but I don't think it was all that personally. A good conditioner will really help and comb each section out as you detangle, this will make your life a lot easier instead of trying to comb out and deal with a whole head of hair later on.

Go to www.growafrohairlong.com. There are some good tips on there about taking out the braids.....there's also a video that shows you how to get out any dirt at the base of the braid.

Yeah...I know because I learned the hard way.:ohwell:

Back