Help--breakage I think!

princessdi

Okay, I’ve encountered a problem and am not sure what to do. I noticed yesterday at work, while my hair was pulled back, that I have really short pieces of hair in the front portion of my head (bangs and maybe a little more), but only in sections. I’m assuming it’s breakage because the rest of my hair seems to be doing well, except for a shorter piece that I’ve been battling with in the crown of my head.

I moisturize like crazy and have the moisture/protein balance thing down. My hair has never felt better, so I’m not really sure what to do with this breaking part and how to bring it back to its healthy state. Has anyone had this happen? If so, what did you do to repair this damage and what do you recommend I do to combat it breaking more. I’m wondering if I have some split ends that’s causing the breakage. Should I (1) cut the hair even, which will look really weird, or (2) leave it alone and baby it more than I do now. I’m at a loss. I just don’t know what to do.

I’m think of putting it back in braids and wearing my wig so that I won’t have to manipulate it much. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I moisturize like crazy and have the moisture/balance thing down.
Thank you.

Did you mean to say that you have the moisture/protein balance down? How often do you do protein treatments?

Do you do anything different to those areas of hair where there's breakage that you don't do to the rest of your hair?

It could be the beginnings of traction alopecia. When you wear hair styles that cause tension on your scalp for an extended period of time, whether a ponytail, bun, curlers, braids, or anything that applies stress, the follicles can eventually die out and start producing shorter hairs and even stop producing hairs at all.

This has been a phenomenon across the world. Sikh men have experienced it because, they wear their hair in a tight bun under their turbans.

Black women are real targets of it because we usually wear tight braids or extensions. If we wear synthetic braids, the material (plastic) of the braids is first, creating friction against our hair (which causes breakage) and the tightness of the braids can create bald patches.

I wrote an article about it if you want more information. Also the second link is to WebMD which I used as a resource for my article:

http://www.naturalhairgrows.com/african-american-hair-braiding-styles.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1073559-overview

Hope this is helpful.

Did you mean to say that you have the moisture/protein balance down? How often do you do protein treatments?

Do you do anything different to those areas of hair where there's breakage that you don't do to the rest of your hair?

Yes, thanks. I use protein (Aveda DR or KPac) every Tuesday. My hair seems to respond well to Aveda but the verdict is still out on the K-Pac Reconstructor. My hair is not as soft. All other times, it's moisturizing conditioners and co-washing daily. Every other part of my hair is responding well except for this area--very frustrating!!!:wallbash:

It could be the beginnings of traction alopecia. When you wear hair styles that cause tension on your scalp for an extended period of time, whether a ponytail, bun, curlers, braids, or anything that applies stress, the follicles can eventually die out and start producing shorter hairs and even stop producing hairs at all.

This has been a phenomenon across the world. Sikh men have experienced it because, they wear their hair in a tight bun under their turbans.

Black women are real targets of it because we usually wear tight braids or extensions. If we wear synthetic braids, the material (plastic) of the braids is first, creating friction against our hair (which causes breakage) and the tightness of the braids can create bald patches.

I wrote an article about it if you want more information. Also the second link is to WebMD which I used as a resource for my article:

http://www.naturalhairgrows.com/african-american-hair-braiding-styles.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1073559-overview

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you! Good article. I'm wondering if it's from wearing buns.:perplexed Although I don't know why. I don't pull them tight. Who knows.:rolleyes: So frustrating!!!

Have you thought about Cutting Back on the Daily Co-Washing? It may be a little too much for your Hair.:look:

IMO Some People Cannot Co-Wash Daily.:nono: You Have to know Your Limit.

How often do you Clarify to remove all that buildup from your Daily Co-Washes? And do you use anything to keep your Porosity in Check? You may want to start with that.:yep:

Daily Co-Washing may be a little too much manipulation plus overall buildup for your hair if you are not Clarifying regularly to rid yourself of product buildup.

Oh Yeah, Protein should come first then Moisture. Hopefully, that's the order you are doing it in as far as keeping those "Balanced."

Back