Help! Advice Needed-marathon Training And This Is My First Summer "natural"

sharifeh

Hi all,

When I went through the nyc marathon training last year I was transitioning and I had a sew-in weave so it wasn't too bad. My last relaxer was August 2013. Now I'm grateful to weaves because I would never have been able to continue my transition without them, however I don't necessarily like them all that much.

This is my first summer where I'm pretty much natural and I have to actually take the weather into account for my hairstyles.

Anyway it was my intention be a straight-haired natural and I've enjoyed it so far- I feel like I retain much more than I did with the bone straight relaxer. Also, I try to work out year round and that's fine with maintaining straight hair but the marathon training is a little bit more intense. Couple that with NYC weather and I'm screwed!!!!

I had a CHI enviro smoothing treatment done (it's like keratin) in late May but that's not enough. I already have a couple inches of new growth from that and the treatment will wear off soon anyway. So I don't know if keratin is the answer.

I was googling some summer hairstyle options:

1) crochet braids? I'm not exactly sure what they are or how they work but I see that they are extensions. And isn't that synthetic hair? Can you put your hair up? Is it comfortable.

2) braids or those senegalese twists? I haven't done braids since I was 5 and I've never had extensions with braids. I'm scared for my edges and I'm also trying to avoid extensions but I'm considering this. I'm tender headed so I dont know how painful the braiding process is.

3) twistouts and braid outs? (own hair) This is what I will try first. I never do these styles. Are they good for working out? I saw some bloggers mention something called a twist and curl. How is that different from a twistout?

4) Continue to straighten and wear a bun and work with crazy-looking reversion - I'd rather not- seems like a waste.

If anyone has any advice or input, I'd very much appreciate it!!!

@SuchaLady @Nazaneen @Britt

Crochet braids - All of your own hair is braided down as if you're going to get a weave. It's a great protective style people generally use synthetic hair because the style doesn't last longer than 6-8 weeks and to my knowledge the hair cannot be used again. One major drawback for me , is that it's not great for someone like me who HAS to wash their hair at least once a week. (gets oily , itchy and drives me crazy if i don't wash it) because the synthetic hair tangles and doesn't look so great after each wash.

There are some who can wash it and it comes out good, but with my lack of hair skills that person is not me. It can be worn up ...in fact that's how I generally wore it after the first week because of the heat in GA.

I would say to continue to straighten and bun. Once you get into weaves, braids etc and working out ....it can get a bit tricky if you'rea frequent washer. If you don't need to wash often then any of those styles would probably work for you...probably except for twists out and braids outs

Last edited:
I's say braidouts and twist outs, learn them! they're a frequent washers good friend. You can wash nightly even, rebraid or retwist, sit under the dryer for a while an unfurl in the morning.
Just keep practicing on your hair, you'll eventually get the hang of styling. You have no excuses! your sister has beautiful natural hair. Have her show you some techniques.

i'd fear for your edges in braids... and a weave is iffy because how do u wash frequently in a weave? its vital to make sure its dry under there. that's just one of the reasons i wont get one.

I run 4-5 times a week and I'm on my second set of box braids. I LOVE THEM :2inlove:. I used expressions hair so they are light. I can sweat all I want ans still look fly
200.gif

However, I moisturize them with oil mixed with a shine spray 2 times a week and use a braid spray 3 times a week to stop build up. This is very important. I had a little build up when I took my last braids down. Crochet braids will be next.

I run 4-5 times a week and I'm on my second set of box braids. I LOVE THEM :2inlove:. I used expressions hair so they are light. I can sweat all I want ans still look fly
200.gif

However, I moisturize them with oil mixed with a shine spray 2 times a week and use a braid spray 3 times a week to stop build up. This is very important. I had a little build up when I took my last braids down. Crochet braids will be next.
Nice. How long do you keep them in? Is there any concern for your edges?

Crochet braids - All of your own hair is braided down as if you're going to get a weave. It's a great protective style people generally use synthetic hair because the style doesn't last longer than 6-8 weeks and to my knowledge the hair cannot be used again. One major drawback for me , is that it's not great for someone like me who HAS to wash their hair at least once a week. (gets oily , itchy and drives me crazy if i don't wash it) because the synthetic hair tangles and doesn't look so great after each wash.

There are some who can wash it and it comes out good, but with my lack of hair skills that person is not me. It can be worn up ...in fact that's how I generally wore it after the first week because of the heat in GA.

I would say to continue to straighten and look bun. Once you get into weaves, braids etc and working out ....it can get a bit tricky if you'rea frequent washer. If you don't need to wash often then any of those styles would probably work for you...probably except for twists out and braids outs

Thanks! This is helpful!

I was gonna go with havana twists but the only issue may be washing them regularly as your natural hair my tangle in between. My experience with crochet braids is that they loosen after a week and tangle easily. You'll have to curl them regularly and if you have leave out you will have to blend it. Remember crochet braids are in fact weaves so you may not like them anyway.

Can't you bun your natural hair? I'm not SL yet and I'm bunning my natural hair everyday atm so depending on your length you should be able to. You can wash as much as you like and you won't have to worry about reversion.

Nice. How long do you keep them in? Is there any concern for your edges?

My last set I kept in 8 weeks, this time I'm only going to keep them in 6 weeks. I pay special attention to the perimeter of my head when I moisturize. And I don't put a lot of tension on my edges when I style the braids. So I didn't have any issues, my hairline was nice and full when I took my braids down

Have you considered wash n goes? I wear them 100% of the time. I style once a week and wet in the morning and shake. I exercise serval times a week and I'm still able to maintain my wash n go with minimal effort. Also I'm in hot and humid Georgia, and we've been having rain just about everyday this summer.

My last set I kept in 8 weeks, this time I'm only going to keep them in 6 weeks. I pay special attention to the perimeter of my head when I moisturize. And I don't put a lot of tension on my edges when I style the braids. So I didn't have any issues, my hairline was nice and full when I took my braids down

Great! Honestly I was scared for my edges with a weave too but it ended up fine so I'm just overly cautious. Do you have to get extensions with box braids? or is it optional?

Have you considered wash n goes? I wear them 100% of the time. I style once a week and wet in the morning and shake. I exercise serval times a week and I'm still able to maintain my wash n go with minimal effort. Also I'm in hot and humid Georgia, and we've been having rain just about everyday this summer.

Your hair is awesome!!! I wouldn't do wash and goes because of the density of my hair, and the detangling issues I would have. i wish I could though!

I was gonna go with havana twists but the only issue may be washing them regularly as your natural hair my tangle in between. My experience with crochet braids is that they loosen after a week and tangle easily. You'll have to curl them regularly and if you have leave out you will have to blend it. Remember crochet braids are in fact weaves so you may not like them anyway.

Can't you bun your natural hair? I'm not SL yet and I'm bunning my natural hair everyday atm so depending on your length you should be able to. You can wash as much as you like and you won't have to worry about reversion.

Thanks for the info on the crochet braids. Now I understand better. I think I'm crossing that off the list. Sounds like if I do that, I might as well get a sew in.

I think I can bun, my natural hair is like NL and straight it's like APLish
You know I bunned all the time when I was relaxed but I have not figured out buns as a natural (at least not without looking crazy...) I'll stalk youtube and blogs for buns and see if i can figure that out...

ok. I remember that my braider always shook her head sadly when I came to take out my invisible braids. She always charged me extra to take them out, because I washed the "human" hair extensions and there was some tangling. ( but a better option than crochet braids with synthetic I think)

and i think the twist outs won't hold up for a whole week. So bunning may be your friend.

Your hair is awesome!!! I wouldn't do wash and goes because of the density of my hair, and the detangling issues I would have. i wish I could though!
Thank you. Anyone can do a wash n go. You just have to find what works for you. I think some braids will be your best option or bunning. Just don't do either to tight. What about two strand twists.

I googled box braids and this came up- these are box braids right?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1
Firstly - much respect to you (and Brownb83) for being runners! Good luck on your next race!

There is a young lady on Instagram - denisezakiya, I think she also has a YouTube channel, her hair is about your length shrunken. She wears a lot of twistouts, goddess braids, stretched puff type styles. She is a marathoner I think or a half marathoner and washes once or twice a week. Maybe check her out and see if any of her styles would work?

I trained and ran the NYC Marathon last year and am a natural! I was supposed to run again this year until I got a save the date for my cousin's wedding on 11/ :( :( Honestly, I don't know what I did with my hair, it's all a blur! LOL

I stick with wash n' go's and buns. I will pull my wash n' go hair up on top of my hair with a ponytail holder and take down and shake after my run. I also only wash once or twice a week. If the wash n' go got too messy, I'd just slick it back into a bun until wash day. OR, I'll do a wet bun after washing, using a styling custard to mold/hold, tie down and that usually stays neat for a while (re-smoothing if needed and tying down as soon as possible after finishing my run). I use Obia Curl Enhancing Custard which seems to hold up well for a few days or more depending on how much is used or how its applied.

Last edited:
Back