Help a Sista Out! I Need a Natural Mentor!

Papoose

The Phoenix
I saw the other thread and Anky was overwhelmed with responses. I desperately need a mentor! I've been hiding under braids, kinky twists, weaves and wigs. I currently have 4A/4B natural hair. I think it's about 5-7 inches long. My short term goal is to practice protective styling. I haven't determined any growth goals yet. Any assistance is appreciated. :)

I am still a newbie natural. It's been over a year. I would be glad to be of assistance. What do you need help with the most? I would suggest doing twists because they are a good protective style.

I would be glad to help sista out! (LOL)It's been a little over 2 years for me. check out my old & new albums www.fotki.com/sephus4 pw :seafuss or seafuss.com. What do you need help with the most? I hope my albums help some. Ditto on doing twists because they are a good protective style.

:)

ITA with wearing twists for protective styling. I have been wearing twists for a year now (weekends=twistouts most of the time) and I my hair has grown and retained length. On wash days I recommend u divide the hair into sections, wash & carefully & detangle with tons of conditioner. This has really helped me. After I wash, on my damp parted sections held with butterfly clips, I use unrefined shea butter straight or mixed with some carrier oils like (jojoba, avocado etc) the oils u can find readily at any health food store. From there I twist and let dry and unravel or make smaller twists for a set I wear in the week. If I make bigger twists, I let it dry then unravel and wear a twistout, then I make skinnier twists with my dry hair to show more length.

During the week I just spritz with a recipe I listed in the vendor review section for ACJazz and I conditon wash with Elucence 1x a week as well.

Products that work for me:
*Unrefined shea butter-straight or whipped with some carrier oils
*Elucence shampoo & conditioner (love the conditioner)
*Shower comb
*Qhemet Amla & Olive Heavy creme
*Africa's Best ultimate hair oil
(The last two I use as a pre-poo treatment on damp hair if my hair is really tangled)
*daily spritz to freshen twists

Overall not playing in my hair too much has helped.

Last edited:
Please forgive me for hi-jacking this thread but Country gal your two puffs are GORGEOUS :drool:!! <--- and that's drool just in case you're wondering! :grin:

cocomama, I love those twists girl! They fit your frame so well 2.

I can be a mentor to anyone who wants me as one :wave:. I started my natural journey back in '99 and it's been a ride. I am quite a liberal with my hair though, sorta the "been around the block" natural :lol:. I'll try anything with my hair because it's just that to me--hair. I have a lot of fun with my hair, but I have a lot of down times too, and you'll find that I'm open to talk about both on these boards and don't hide anything.

I just got my laptop up and running a few weeks ago, after a year of being down. So after I graduate in a few weeks, it's updates galore :) N e one, feel free to PM if you need a non judgemental ear :).

I'm not Papoose... but I am newly natural... fully natural for maybe 2 months. I am wondering about split ends. If someone could help. I keep finding midstrand splits. I wet my hair every day and only comb or brush it once a week if that. Why am I having such a problem with splits. I usually keep my hair in some kind of protective style... sometimes wrapped up in a scarf... sometimes twists or twistouts. It seems I have more now than I did when I was relaxed. How do you keep your number of split ends down? I am using good products
sleep either in a satin scarf or on a satin pillow. What gives?

lovelymissyoli said:
Please forgive me for hi-jacking this thread but Country gal your two puffs are GORGEOUS :drool:!! <--- and that's drool just in case you're wondering! :grin:

Thank you, Lovely. Sorry I am so late getting back to you.

ThursdayGirl said:
I'm not Papoose... but I am newly natural... fully natural for maybe 2 months. I am wondering about split ends. If someone could help. I keep finding midstrand splits. I wet my hair every day and only comb or brush it once a week if that. Why am I having such a problem with splits. I usually keep my hair in some kind of protective style... sometimes wrapped up in a scarf... sometimes twists or twistouts. It seems I have more now than I did when I was relaxed. How do you keep your number of split ends down? I am using good products

When was the last time you had a good trim? I would suggest getting a really good trim.

Country gal said:
I am still a newbie natural. It's been over a year. I would be glad to be of assistance. What do you need help with the most? I would suggest doing twists because they are a good protective style.

My computer ha sbeen down, so I'm just replying. I need help with everything!

natstar said:
ITA with wearing twists for protective styling. I have been wearing twists for a year now (weekends=twistouts most of the time) and I my hair has grown and retained length. On wash days I recommend u divide the hair into sections, wash & carefully & detangle with tons of conditioner. This has really helped me. After I wash, on my damp parted sections held with butterfly clips, I use unrefined shea butter straight or mixed with some carrier oils like (jojoba, avocado etc) the oils u can find readily at any health food store. From there I twist and let dry and unravel or make smaller twists for a set I wear in the week. If I make bigger twists, I let it dry then unravel and wear a twistout, then I make skinnier twists with my dry hair to show more length.

During the week I just spritz with a recipe I listed in the vendor review section for ACJazz and I conditon wash with Elucence 1x a week as well.

Products that work for me:
*Unrefined shea butter-straight or whipped with some carrier oils
*Elucence shampoo & conditioner (love the conditioner)
*Shower comb
*Qhemet Amla & Olive Heavy creme
*Africa's Best ultimate hair oil
(The last two I use as a pre-poo treatment on damp hair if my hair is really tangled)
*daily spritz to freshen twists

Overall not playing in my hair too much has helped.

Thanks for all the info! I already wash my hair in sections, but i can't get my twists right! RAHHHHHHH!

ThursdayGirl said:

I had a HUGE problem with split ends... what's working for me is avoiding heat on my hair and moisturising daily or every 2 days. Drinking lots of water helps a great deal too.

Good luck and welcome to the nappy journey!

Back