Hello Newbie Here - Need Help

mystiquak

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join...I must say that I have learned alot from you ladies and am excited about being a part of LHCF. I need a little help from you all with my hair. I am type 2c (I think) I am at BSL and want to get to WSL by the end of 2010. I am confused about what products to use on my type hair. I am texlaxed and stretch 12-14 weeks before I get a relaxer. i am having some trouble with shedding and breakage. I think it is due to the depo provera shot I am on and will not be getting my next shot in March. I have never had a regimen just weekly washes, conditioning and oil sheen...LOL I am learning to take better care of my hair. I am aiming for healthy hair with no split ends and shedding. I am looking at ORS and CON products. I am currently using Organix line but do not particularly care for it. I like giovanni and the suave almond and shea butter also but do not know what my hair really needs. What do you suggest? My latest pics are here: http://public.fotki.com/mystiquak/my-hair-care-journey/

Can someone tell me what my hair type is? LOL

God Bless you all!!!

Hard to tell what your hair type is from these pictures. Do you have any with a close up shot of your hair wet with no product on it?

Whatever your hair type is, you hair looks great! I like the CON moistuizing shampoos and use occasionally. I am not a fan of the ORS line but it may work for you.

Your hair is really nice!

Can you provide a more detailed regimen:

Do you do protein treatments? How often? What products?
What DC's are you using? How often? What products?
What type of leave-in/moisturizer are you using?

Why do you use the oil sheen?

I would suggest using protein treatments like aphogee 2-min or something harder like the 2-step since you are dealing with breakage. I have found that protein treatments as well as garlic treatments helps with the shedding. Just remember to follow up with a moisturizing DC afterwords.

Thanks everyone...I saw that about the garlic and am going to try it on 2morrow's wash day. I am on the depo provera shot so I do think that contributes to it, never had this problem until then.

Hair Regimen:
Prepoo overnight with EVCO
Weekly shampoo and cond with heat for 20mins
DC (ORS Replenishing Pack) with heat twice a month
Leave in - infusium 23
Moisturizer is my Oil Sheen LOL ( I have never really oiled my scalp, my hair tends to get really flat with heavy oils and creams) I am looking for something light though.

Other than that I really have no other regimen for my hair, I have always gone to the salon, but had a bad experience with one girl and said I was not going back! So I got online and found you guys! Since then I have learned how to rollerset my own hair, shampoo and condition it properly. (THANKS LADIES!) I just need help with a regimen and support. God Bless!

Thanks everyone...I saw that about the garlic and am going to try it on 2morrow's wash day. I am on the depo provera shot so I do think that contributes to it, never had this problem until then.

Hair Regimen:
Prepoo overnight with EVCO
Weekly shampoo and cond with heat for 20mins
DC (ORS Replenishing Pack) with heat twice a month
Leave in - infusium 23
Moisturizer is my Oil Sheen LOL
( I have never really oiled my scalp, my hair tends to get really flat with heavy oils and creams) I am looking for something light though.

Other than that I really have no other regimen for my hair, I have always gone to the salon, but had a bad experience with one girl and said I was not going back! So I got online and found you guys! Since then I have learned how to rollerset my own hair, shampoo and condition it properly. (THANKS LADIES!) I just need help with a regimen and support. God Bless!

Hey again! The bolded may be what is causing breakage. The depo could contribute to shedding.

The conditioner that your using with heat, is that protein based?

My hair is about 2/3ish...maybe more 3 and my hair personally hates infusium but it loves kinky kurly knot today leave-in (leaves hair very moisturized after applying on wet hair.)

I am not too familiar with oil sheen, is that the can spray? Or an actual moisturizer? I think you would need to look for better moisturizers unless you feel as though the oil sheen is working well.

HTH:grin:

@wavesofmotion Yes the oil sheen is the can spray. I did not use the infusium this time and felt a difference...well saw (not that much breakage) I did not use the ORS Replenishing pack either. The shampoo and conditioner I use is Giovanni Smooth as Silk. But I clarified with ORS Aloe Olive Oil shampoo first. I am needing help with my type of hair and need to know what type of products to use and not to use. It is 2/3 type hair too. I am going to purchase kinky curly products soon.

Back