Hello ladies... question for all of you..

Saida

My title was too long, so I didnt know what to put for the title. anyway

My question is, since ive been reading that alot of you stay away from certain things that diffrent products contains, cant remember them all right now. but you know what you stay away from. so my question is:

If a product works well for your hair, and your hair loves it, will you stop using it, just for the reason that it contains one of the no no ingredients???
IMHO I dont look that much into the ingredients, I know, I know I should, but im not even that educated on what is bad for my hair and what is not.

Usually if a product works for me, then its a keeper. If it dosent work, then I might look into what is in it, and decide if thats what I should be staying away from.

How do you guys look at it???

I determined what ingredients my hair did/did not like based on how it reacted to products with those ingredients vs. how it reacted to products without those ingredients.
I have very dry and fine hair - anything that blocks moisture getting to my hair is bad, so I don't use products with 'cones in them.

My hair doesn't like oil - at ALL - of any kind (even the 'good for your hair kind, like jojoba) - including mineral oil and it's by-products. So, I don't use them.

If my hair reacted just as well WITH those ingredients as it did without them, I wouldn't spend the time trying to avoid them, ya know?

The answer is yes. If it works for me, I'll still stay away from it. I've been suffering from terrible allergies for the past year or so, so I have to stay away from most products.
That's why I created my own. Most of those products that I was using was the cause of me having all these allergies.
Now that I stopped using most of those products, I'm not seeing any manifestations and I also realized that most of those ingredients in those products are highly unnecessary.

The answer is yes. If it works for me, I'll still stay away from it. I've been suffering from terrible allergies for the past year or so, so I have to stay away from most products.
That's why I created my own. Most of those products that I was using was the cause of me having all these allergies.
Now that I stopped using most of those products, I'm not seeing any manifestations and I also realized that most of those ingredients in those products are highly unnecessary.

what product do you create? I can see how thats a good reason to stay away from them then :)

IT IS IMPORTANT TO LOOK AT INGREDIENTS!!!

let me tell you why. i tried Garnier's Curl and Shine shampoo and conditioner... my hair looked great the first time i used it. my hair felt soft and shiny, looked well-defined, etc. but i know if i used it daily, in a few weeks my hair would be dry, crunchy, splitting and breaking off. and i'd be left wondering, "what happened?" :sad: the cones in the shampoo as well as the conditioner coat my hair and give me good shine and definition at first... but that same coating would build up and prevent any moisture or nutrients from entering or exiting the hair shaft. and if i didn't understand cones i wouldn't understand why my hair suddenly turned to crap... if i didn't read ingredients i wouldn't know the shampoo that is supposed to be cleansing the cones out of my hair is only depositing more cones and making the problem worse.

i'm not saying we all have to use all-natural products all the time. i just know how cones have affected my hair in the past so i avoid using them all the time, like i avoid using stuff with mineral oil or shampoos with SLS. it keeps my hair happy. :yep: sometimes i'll use a leave-in conditioner with mineral oil in it for less-frizzy coils... or like when i straighten my hair, those cones help keep my hair from reverting (albeit not much :lachen: ) and when it comes time to wash i want some good ol' SLS-filled shampoo to make sure my hair is clean of heat protectant and anti-humectant and all that other gunk! :grin:

Last edited:
I'll never go back to using poos with SLS, waaaay too harsh for my hair. I tried so hard to stay away from mineral oil and cones, but my hair loves them and I'm broke, so I can only get cheap stuff :ohwell: My conditioner has cones and mineral oil and my leave in has cones, but they leave my hair so shiny and soft with tons of slip. I just make sure I clarify about once a month when my hair starts looking ''off'' from all of the buildup. Maybe when my money gets right, I'll get some of the high end good stuff, but for now my hair is loving being naughty :lol:

Back