Hello Hydration Sodium Hydroxide

syze6

So I just watched a video on YT that reported Hello Hydration contains sodium hydroxide. I had no idea and I use this when I am CO Washing and stretching. I was so amazed at how soft it made my hair and how it was so easy to detangle with it. Now, finding out it has SH has turned me off. I had read a couple of reviews where some African-American women stated it made their hair fall out in clumps. I would detangle in the shower and I would have a nice amount of shedding. I don't know if that was because I would always CO wash and not detangle even on dry hair. So when I would finally wash and condition, I just figured it was hair from days of not combing and leaving it twist out. I can't say if it was due to the conditioner. I imagine leaving conditioner in for a while with sodium hydroxide could be harmful. I have two big jars I purchased from Walmart. I hate to not use it anymore.

NaOH- is usually used as a stabilizer and/or pH adjuster. It's low enough in amount to not cause any straightening effects.

Now when you talk about hair falling out, there can be many explanations. I won't rule out the conditioner, but there would be class actions and we would have all heard about it.

Maybe if there were, someone can post?

NaOH- is usually used as a stabilizer and/or pH adjuster. It's low enough in amount to not cause any straightening effects.

Now when you talk about hair falling out, there can be many explanations. I won't rule out the conditioner, but there would be class actions and we would have all heard about it.

Maybe if there were, someone can post?

I read a couple of reviews on amazon that said they had clumps of hair falling out. Now I don't comb through my hair for days at a time, so when I finally do wash/condition I expect to have a nice amount of shedding. From the reviews it didn't seem as if it was the same thing.

Last edited:
I read a couple of reviews on amazon that said they had clumps of hair falling out. Now I don;t comb through my hair for days at a time, so when I finally do wash.conditionn I expect to have a nice amount of shedding. From the reviews it didn't seem as if it was the same thing.

It might not have been. If you don't feel comfortable, don't use it. I've used it before with no issues and there are many who swear by it.

Also, be careful with reviews, because not all have good hair practices and are looking for a direction to point at.

It might not have been. If you don't feel comfortable, don't use it. I've used it before with no issues and there are many who swear by it.

Also, be careful with reviews, because not all have good hair practices and are looking for a direction to point at.

Yeah...when I was reading the reviews I was shocked because, I had never experienced that. I apply it to my dry hair and twist it and let it dry overnight. I still have never had issues when I take the twist out. I love how manageable it makes my new growth. You are right about good hair practices. I only get heat in my hair three times a year...The rest is air dry only.

If someone is stupid enough to never use shampoo and only co-wash it would clog their hair follices. First they would shed alot then over time it would fall out cause the follicle is clogged with waxy conditioner residue. Komaza's hair analysis proved that.

That was the wen situation. It may have just been a coincidence that their hair fell out. And if it's not full of silicones :(

this topic comes up so much on this board. It's not going to relax your hair. There's a science behind that ingredient and it's used for other things when in a formula. There have been a lot of science major members who explained this better than i could. Especially in past threads. But hello hydration is not going to relax your hair OP

I already did it is a ph adjuster.
this topic comes up so much on this board. It's not going to relax your hair. There's a science behind that ingredient and it's used for other things when in a formula. There have been a lot of science major members who explained this better than i could. Especially in past threads. But hello hydration is not going to relax your hair OP

there's also a possibility that it's clogged follicles from not washing away the sebum and the Wen building up in the follicles. Clogged follicles can lead to hair loss and thinner hair shafts.
I dont know anyone that never shampooed their hair because they were using a cleansing conditioner. Many people suffered from hair loss including people from this board and im certain they also shampooed.

I read a couple of reviews on amazon that said they had clumps of hair falling out. Now I don't comb through my hair for days at a time, so when I finally do wash/condition I expect to have a nice amount of shedding. From the reviews it didn't seem as if it was the same thing.
That could be from clogged pores. Folks really got a problem with using proper shampoos to cleanse their hair these days.

I dont know anyone that never shampooed their hair because they were using a cleansing conditioner. Many people suffered from hair loss including people from this board and im certain they also shampooed.
I disagree. Too many people on this board and other forums/yt aren't washing their hair properly and frequently. People are waiting months at a time to use a shampoo, plus they are piling on more an more products.

Wen contains silicone too. Amodimethicone is not water soluble.
Oh wow. I didn't know that. I'm very glad I never tried it although I am positive I wouldn't have stuck with it anyway. My hair is such that it needs to be clean to look good ( at least when straight) and my scalp gets a lot of buildup so I need shampoo. Co washing is not right for me.

If someone is stupid enough to never use shampoo and only co-wash it would clog their hair follices. First they would shed alot then over time it would fall out cause the follicle is clogged with waxy conditioner residue. Komaza's hair analysis proved that.
Doesn't the guy who shills Wen pretty much imply that Wen is all you need and that you should never use shampoo? I think many people actually followed that and completely quit shampoo.

As a child actual years ( or at least a year) went by with my hair not being washed :look:. I had a phobia of having the water run down my face and my parents just weren't sticklers about cleanliness so longggg periods went by without hair washes.
Anyway, I never suffered hair loss from it :scratchchin: but I do fear that my follicles were damaged in some way. I just remember having a lot of scalp buildup but no other ill effects and I had long, thick...dirty curls lol.

Doesn't the guy who shills Wen pretty much imply that Wen is all you need and that you should never use shampoo? I think many people actually followed that and completely quit shampoo.

He does and I never fell for that. The product barely has cleansing ingredients. I mean, it's a good product; I liked it. But I would never throw away all my products and replace it with just one.

Of course they did. People act like regular every day people have the knowledge that we do on the borads but tjey dont. My mom got sucked into chaz dean's claims of not washing. And i was the one that told her continue to use shampoo on ur scalp regularly if ur going to use that stuff. She was so glad i told her that after this lawsuit came out cuz she wouldve take wen's word.

Of course they did. People act like regular every day people have the knowledge that we do on the borads but tjey dont. My mom got sucked into chaz dean's claims of not washing. And i was the one that told her continue to use shampoo on ur scalp regularly if ur going to use that stuff. She was so glad i told her that after this lawsuit came out cuz she wouldve take wen's word.

It's funny because I grew up on the "dirty hair grows faster" logic, but my scalp would be in blazes barely 5 days after washing, so I had to wash constantly. I started using wen before knowing about haircare and it still didn't sit right with me, to not shampoo, so I still washed. When I gave my sister some bottles last year, she was going to get rid of shampoo and I told her no. Clean your scalp.

I understand not having the knowledge, but a bad stigma has been placed around shampoo, that, even without knowledge, people are looking for an easy way to get rid of shampoo. No questions asked.

r
It's funny because I grew up on the "dirty hair grows faster" logic, but my scalp would be in blazes barely 5 days after washing, so I had to wash constantly. I started using wen before knowing about haircare and it still didn't sit right with me, to not shampoo, so I still washed. When I gave my sister some bottles last year, she was going to get rid of shampoo and I told her no. Clean your scalp.

I understand not having the knowledge, but a bad stigma has been placed around shampoo, that, even without knowledge, people are looking for an easy way to get rid of shampoo. No questions asked.

I am guilty of rarely using shampoo and CO washing constantly. My shedding may be due to less shampooing and buildup. Thanks for the info.

Back