HELLLPPP!!!! (PAGING NATURAL DIVAS)

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Sigh.. I like my hair, really.

And I just got a touch up over the weekend and was thinking; about four years and two major hair cuts ago, I had natural hair and miss that fluffy hair. My hair actually grows faster in its natural state than relaxed!! It's THICK. Used to be thicker but still thick. And dry... all the time. I'm not feeling the relaxer anymore. So I've decided to revert to NATURAL!!

I know it's an 18-month commitment, but I've decided to do it a second time, now have some serious inspirations on this board. Three years ago, I wore wigs or braids and couldn't even find a natural hair care stylist. I did the braiding/twists myself. That was part of the reason I dedided to relax.

I'm about to start the C&G method in April (I'm 3 weeks month into deep conditioner weekly)and will be wearing braids in April/May...But not sure if I want to wear a short cut (like I did the last time!) because I don't have the face for it..

So I ask, NDs (esp. those w/ 3A/B/C hair) what was your hair regimen in the first year? What worked and what didn't??

Hi Laela/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I transitioned by using my henna and essential/carrier oil mixer. The henna straightens out the new growth, so the texture isn't that different from relaxed hair. Now mind you, I had a Revlon Mild Relaxer so my relaxed and henna texture wasn't that different. Also, weekly deep conditioning I found is essential in keeping the elasticity and tensile strength of the strand in tip-top condition. At the time I used Lekairs or Queene Helene's Cholesterol as well as adding oils to the mix to deep condition. Now that I found my Avocado Conditioner to supercede any conditioner I ever used in terms of moisture value, out the door Lekairs and the Queene went.

As far as hairstlyes I flatironed or used the curling iron on a weekly basis. Henna is a mild protein that is also cuticle sealing. So I feel the henna along with the oils acted as a barrier of protection against any damage, and the oils also served as a mini-hot oil treatment. My hair was very moisturized.

What I don't do is comb or brush my hair. I use a pick to detangle or the only time I use a comb is to make a part in my hair.

Okay this is a littl off topic but Amethyst do you remember what types of oils you used to add to your QH cholesterol? I really like this conditioner ---one of the reasons is becasue it seems to respond well to being mixed with oils and other conditioners.

And Laela----congrats on your decision. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Amethyst said:
Hi Laela/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I transitioned by using my henna and essential/carrier oil mixer. The henna straightens out the new growth, so the texture isn't that different from relaxed hair. Now mind you, I had a Revlon Mild Relaxer so my relaxed and henna texture wasn't that different. Also, weekly deep conditioning I found is essential in keeping the elasticity and tensile strength of the strand in tip-top condition. At the time I used Lekairs or Queene Helene's Cholesterol as well as adding oils to the mix to deep condition. Now that I found my Avocado Conditioner to supercede any conditioner I ever used in terms of moisture value, out the door Lekairs and the Queene went.

As far as hairstlyes I flatironed or used the curling iron on a weekly basis. Henna is a mild protein that is also cuticle sealing. So I feel the henna along with the oils acted as a barrier of protection against any damage, and the oils also served as a mini-hot oil treatment. My hair was very moisturized.

What I don't do is comb or brush my hair. I use a pick to detangle or the only time I use a comb is to make a part in my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi /images/graemlins/wave.gif Amethyst!

LOVELY... excellent advice, thank you!! I was reading up on the avocado conditioner, and will have to get that. I'm PJ'ing like crazy lately. Where'd you get the henna? what's in your carrier oil mix or do you mix both? (I've got a castor oil/wild growth/coconut oil mix)...

I had used a comb (a rather HUGE wide-toothed comb) when I was natural last. I'll have to refrain from using it the next go-round. Bless you....
/images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

Thanks, Diviine!!

It was a tough decision, and for an indecisive person as me, that's a big deal!

peace,

Hi Amethyst!

LOVELY... excellent advice, thank you!! I was reading up on the avocado conditioner, and will have to get that. I'm PJ'ing like crazy lately. Where'd you get the henna? what's in your carrier oil mix or do you mix both? (I've got a castor oil/wild growth/coconut oil mix)...

I had used a comb (a rather HUGE wide-toothed comb) when I was natural last. I'll have to refrain from using it the next go-round. Bless you....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your oil regimen sounds great. I mix the essential and carrier oils together. I use jojoba oil, castor oil, olive oil, rosemary oil, and vitamin e oil. The henna I use is hennalucent because it does not have any metallic salts in it, therefore if you have a relaxer or color in your hair, it won't damage it at all. You can get hennalucent at any beauty supply store. It comes in several shades including neutral. Since henna is a mild protein and therefore a bit drying, to combat the dryness, I mix the henna with the oils
and it works real well. Below is a link to a henna thread with great henna recipes on them.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=Women&amp;Number=30641&amp;Forum=Women&amp;Words=coconut%20milk&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=30315&amp;Search=true#Post30641

Comb: As far as a comb is concerned, I used to use those big, wide-toothed combs also. I think they're great /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just got into the routine of using a pick for my hair. With the exception of those big wide-toothe combs, I find that a pick pulls less of my hair out than a regular comb. There's next to nothing in my pick when I use it to detangle my hair. Some level of shedding is to be expected, but I find the regular sized comb and brush pulls way too much of my hair out than the pick. Good luck with transitioning. And I'll talk to you soon.

Daviines ?
Okay this is a littl off topic but Amethyst do you remember what types of oils you used to add to your QH cholesterol? I really like this conditioner ---one of the reasons is becasue it seems to respond well to being mixed with oils and other conditioners. And Laela----congrats on your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I PM'd daviine my reply but in case anyone else has the same question, I'm placing the response here. I mix essential and carrier oil together. My mix includes jojoba oil, rosemary oil, castor oil, olive oil, and vitamin e. oil. The use of these oils in my deep treatments really has made a difference in the overall appearance of my hair in terms of stronger, healthier strands. And the vit. e and rrosemary oil works as stimulators to grow the hair.

**Laela reading henna thread ***
Aw, heck, you'll have me hooked on henna in a minute!

Thanks girl...

I used braids for a couple of months, then just cut off the relaxed ends. Then I just started from scratch and trimmed, moisterized/sonditioned x 3 but this was a while ago.
hth /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I did rollersets...using a temporary starightening balm(KMS Flat Out) on the new growth. I too don't like my hair really short(I have fat cheeks). So I cut off to chin length and just did trims until I got I had all the relaxed part cut off. In the summer I just shampooed used a leave in mixture(I made up for myself)and wore my hair in a loose ponytail daily. My hair grew very fast while doing that.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know exactly how you feel! At the beginning of the year I decided that I would like to go natural. Going through relaxers thinned out my hair, and led to damage. I am not going natural for any other reason than to restore the health and thickness of my hair. And hopefully the length will come along with that. Once I feel that it is where I want it to be I am going to either press or relax my hair. I am currently using braids to help me through this process I have no idea if it is the right or wrong way but I am keeping my fingers crossed and my hair moisturized.

Drea /images/graemlins/cool.gif

i aint really an expert or a diva but know a lil bit about natural hair and the lil i kno came from experience....i kno that i cudnt leave the house wit a twa and had my hair braided from aug-jan wit breaks in between n then finally worked up enuf courage to cut my hair on feb the 18th and was chicken to leave the house wit 2inch hair so i got braids n will continue to do so till i got me shoulder length hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leala congrats on your decision to go natural. Best to you. Amethyst, thanks for the tip on the Henna. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Laela!
Since u say we are twins anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif let's be hair buddies. I want to go natural myslef becuase my hair is at it's best in it's natural state so I am gonna go for it. I know it is gonna get hard but I have learned enough from this board that I think I can do it (with the support of the board ofcourse)
So what do u say wanna be transitioning support buddies for those times we want to throw the towel in?
U cna pm me or email me at [email protected]

Lucia said:
I used braids for a couple of months, then just cut off the relaxed ends. Then I just started from scratch and trimmed, moisterized/sonditioned x 3 but this was a while ago.
hth /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So you cut it off once time? I did something like that the last time. It was an eye opener in that I realized I don't look fabulous w/ short hair! LOL.

sweetcocoa said:
I did rollersets...using a temporary starightening balm(KMS Flat Out) on the new growth. I too don't like my hair really short(I have fat cheeks). So I cut off to chin length and just did trims until I got I had all the relaxed part cut off. In the summer I just shampooed used a leave in mixture(I made up for myself)and wore my hair in a loose ponytail daily. My hair grew very fast while doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is the route I'm taking this time around. I'll have to add the Flat Out to my collection.. Thanks sweetcocoa!!!!
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drea84 said:
/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know exactly how you feel! At the beginning of the year I decided that I would like to go natural. Going through relaxers thinned out my hair, and led to damage. I am not going natural for any other reason than to restore the health and thickness of my hair. And hopefully the length will come along with that. Once I feel that it is where I want it to be I am going to either press or relax my hair. I am currently using braids to help me through this process I have no idea if it is the right or wrong way but I am keeping my fingers crossed and my hair moisturized.

Drea /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you Drea...The first time, I did have damaged hair. My hair's in good shape now, but since I had it cut anyway, the transition will be a bit smoother. I just want natural hair again....

ngaa said:
i aint really an expert or a diva but know a lil bit about natural hair and the lil i kno came from experience....i kno that i cudnt leave the house wit a twa and had my hair braided from aug-jan wit breaks in between n then finally worked up enuf courage to cut my hair on feb the 18th and was chicken to leave the house wit 2inch hair so i got braids n will continue to do so till i got me shoulder length hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ngaa, girl.. I always /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif every time I read your possts... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif j/k...

I'll glad I'm in good company with the naturals... I know about looking "funny" with short hair. Braids... braids... braids... I hear ya!

Blackndiangirl said:
CONGRATS on your decision to go natural

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU so much Blackndiangirl !!!

Tonya said:
Hey Laela!
Since u say we are twins anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif let's be hair buddies. I want to go natural myslef becuase my hair is at it's best in it's natural state so I am gonna go for it. I know it is gonna get hard but I have learned enough from this board that I think I can do it (with the support of the board ofcourse)
So what do u say wanna be transitioning support buddies for those times we want to throw the towel in?
U cna pm me or email me at [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tonya /images/graemlins/wave.gif For real... we kinda look alike! actually, you look more like my lil sis than me.

WHAT!!??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
You wanna go natural, too...

I'll email ya...

peace,

Back